Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2007 5:03:22 AM EDT
I just got an M1 Garand made by National Ordnance Inc, in San Monte, California (at least that is what the receiver says.  Anyway, can anyone tell me about this rifle?  It has a serial number in the 600's and looks to be in excellent condition.  There is wear on the metal parts where the black finish has been worn off, but the stock has been totally refinished.  I know nothing about the history of Garand makers.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/9/2007 10:13:16 AM EDT
[#1]
National Ordnance was the predecessor to Federal Ordnance. Fed Ord went out of business in the 1990s. Both were located in South El Monte, CA. They used cast receivers that varied widely in quality (dimensions and heat treatment). The good news is they used USGI parts.

Some of their receivers were heat treated to be brittle as glass. To test for brittleness, remove the barrelled receiver from the stock and give the receiver a sharp whack from below with a hammer. If it shatters, it was too brittle to shoot without a kaboom. You are better off with a receiver shattered by a hammer whack, than a kaboom at the end of your nose.

Typical dimension problems where only 1 of the 2 bolt lugs touch and an out of tolerance firing pin cam surface.

For what it is worth, I own a Nat Ord 1903A3 and a Fed Ord M-14 and both have proper heat treatment and are OK dimensionally.
Link Posted: 6/9/2007 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Order a Grade B receiver (perfectly serviceable, but refinished) for $125 from the CMP and have the rifle rebuilt with it.  It will be well worth doing, save the Nat Ord receiver as a memento.
Link Posted: 6/9/2007 1:55:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Order a Grade B receiver (perfectly serviceable, but refinished) for $125 from the CMP and have the rifle rebuilt with it.  It will be well worth doing, save the Nat Ord receiver as a memento.

I was looking into replacing the receiver with a WWII Springfield one.  But, I don't know where the best place to get one would be.  I found one at Florida Gunworks' website, but they want $400 for it.

What, exactly, are the Grade B receivers?  Do I need to go through the same CMP hoops as if I was purchasing a full rifle?  Basically, I want a USGI rifle that has some history to it.  I know that the one I have has USGI parts, but I want to replace the receiver to make it perfect.  

I also do not know who to take my rifle to once I get another receiver for installation.  What would be my best path to get the receiver swapped out for what I want with the least amount of cost?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top