Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2004 7:28:05 AM EDT
Does anyone know where I might be able to find out what year my Universal M1 Carbine was made by using the serial number?  and does anyone know approx. what a Universal Carbine in excellent condition would be worth? Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#1]
O.K.  How about ANY information on a Universal Carbine?  I can't seem to find out shit about the company.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Universal started building carbines in the fifties.  Early ones were supposedly decent, using GI parts and such, but the later ones were junk (steel too soft) , in some cases dangerous (firing out of battery).  If yours has the single GI style spring it should be ok.  If it has the twin spring set up, beware.  Value of the later ones, which are the more common variety is not much.  Most shooters avoid them.  Few GI parts will interchange.

Univeral went belly up some years ago.  If memory serves Iver Johnson bought out the remnants but IJ is now gone as well.  Finding a serial number range may be possible but likely difficult. Maybe try googling "Universal Carbine" and see what comes up.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#3]
More info.

Universal was one of the earlier makers of commercial carbines.
The early rifles were true replicas of the GI carbine, and used all GI parts assembled to a cast steel receiver.

As time went on, the supply of GI parts began to dry up, and Universal began to make more and more parts by casting.

Finally, in the late 70's, Universal did a complete redesign of their carbine, and the result was actually more of a carbine "look-alike".  
The new carbine has a very different gas cylinder assembly, a two recoil spring arrangement, and a operating rod made with a cut-out area on the cammng surface which exposed the bolt's locking lug.

Quality of these later carbines fluctuated badly.  

When the company folded, it was bought out by Iver Johnson which made a carbine until they too folded.
Strangely, Iver Johnson made their carbines as true replicas of the GI carbine, NOT like the highly modified late model Universal's.

What you have depends entirely on whether it's an earlier GI-type or a late modified type, AND on how your particular carbine shoots.

Like most gun companies, Universal never released any serial number info, and there is no one known who can give you a definite production date.

Value depends on the type Universal, the actual condition, how well it works, and where and who is buying it.  
In other words, it's worth just what someone is willing to spend on it.

For a better idea, check a recent copy of one of the gun value books like the Blue Book, or check prices on the online gun sales sites.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys.  Mine is the later two recoil spring type but it actually does shoot very good and with no malfunctions.  I am thinking of selling it though, to get a real GI Carbine.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:59:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info guys.  Mine is the later two recoil spring type but it actually does shoot very good and with no malfunctions.  I am thinking of selling it though, to get a real GI Carbine.

Good idea but be prepared to spend some serious coin.  Price on carbines has really gone up in recent years.  Start at $450 for the tired import stamped units.  Clean non import guns will usually  start at $650 and go up from there.  If someone is offering you an "original" or "correct" carbine for a premium price be very careful.  Its been something of  a mania in recent years to take rebuilt GI carbines (as almost all of them were rebuilt at sometime) and back date them to what some think of as original condition.  All parts from the same manufacturer, that sort of thing.  I've always considered it a scam.  And not neccesarily correct anyway.  There were twelve major contractors for carbines in WW II with hundreds of sub contractors.  Part swapping among the various contractors was quite common.  Its entirely possible that an Inland carbine left the loading dock with parts from any number of companies.  Its as "original" as one with matching parts, possibly more so.  

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:35:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
An "all orginal" military surplus weapon of any kind was probably issued to a REMF anyway.  Who wants a REMF rifle?  

-- Chuck

I do. I have a very nice M1 Carbine, but am now looking for an original WWII 1911 and a WWII Garand.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone hear when CMP is going to receive and start selling the 30 carbines?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Anyone hear when CMP is going to receive and start selling the 30 carbines?

Still just in the rumor stage.  CMP plays this stuff pretty close to the vest.  The rumor has been floating around for a while now.  Paraguay seems to be the country of origin mentioned most often. Some claimed to have seen them in the warehouse.  

They have a few parts guns left over from the guns reserved for junior clubs but it sounds like a very low priority to get them out the door.  I expect CMP will be very careful on releasing carbines.  The release of the junior club guns is still a sore subject with some.  

Check out jouster.com for more info.  CMP website is odcmp.com.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top