Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2003 11:42:49 AM EDT
I would like to get a SA M1A as a field rifle. I have several questions/thoughts.

1. I like the wood stocks, but how do the hold up? What would you get for a field rifle.
2. Match vs. GI barrel. The GIs are chrome lined while the match aren't, right?
3. Standard vs. Loaded. I like the NM trigger, sights(with hood), and flash suppressor. But question 2?

Do you think I would be better served having a custom M1A built with what I want vs. SA(I would be will to pay up to 1400-1500)? Also I shoot mostly pistols so I don't know if what I like will serve me best for a field rifle. It must be accurate(2MOA@500 yards), but reliable. Think if your life depended on it what would you want...? Recommendations?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're going to buy an M1A, I'd get one with a wood stock.  The wood it comes with is nice and that gives you a good looking rifle.  USGI stocks are VERY inexpensive, so you can buy a "beater" stock for $10 or less.  At the prices they are going for, I'd get a USGI wood and a USGI synthetic.  I personally use the synthetic for most of my shooting, but woo dis nice as well.  That gives you a good looking wood stock, and a field use stock.  There's no good reason to go with the SA, Inc synthetic stock.

I'd get a GI barrel.  Chrome lining says it all for field use.  Also you don't need any extra weight some of the match barrels have.  Also unless you do all sorts of match mods that take the gun out of the "field" category, you aren't really going to be abel to take advantage of the Match barrel.

Get what you like as far as trigger, sights, etc.  I personally like the service, as issued variety for what your purpose is, but there's nothing wrong with getting what YOU like.

If you're going to be able to afford $1400-1500, you should be abel to find a good M1A with USGI parts.  I wouldn't go with the current offering until you explore what it costs for one with USGI parts, and what it would cost to get one built for you.  Build-up is probably the most expensive.  I'd vote for a M1A with USGI parts being the best bet here.  

Ross
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I've looked around for a USGI M1A rifle(minus receiver of course), but can't seem to find any in that price range. Does anyone know were I can find a USGI M1A for 1400-1500?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a friend who is going to sell a Springfield M1A.I'm in the Houston area also.

I have 2 M1A's   1 supermatch and 1 standard with a nice boyds walnut stock (I love that walnut).

Most guys buy a std unless you'll shoot matches with it.You can get about 25,000-30,000 rounds thtu a chromed barrel too.

USGI parts seem to be the way to go for longevity reasons.

If you're interested in a std let me know and I'll ask which one (he has 3) he's parting with.

The price should be around $1,300.00
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:50:27 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are looking for a "field rifle", have you  considered one of the "Bush" or "Scout" rifles.  Several people I know have both the standard and a "bush" and tend to use the shorter rifle for plinking/hunting and keep the standard in like new condition.  You could get one in wood/metal and replace with syn w/rubber butt pad for field use.  Whichever you get, don't get the SA synthetic, the paint comes off.  Buy a G.I. syn or wood and protect the new wood as mentioned above.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I have both standard and Bush length rifles and the Bush rifle goes to the field and range much more than the GI length.

"Match" barrels are typically excessively heavy for general shooting, and the M14/M1A is an also-ran at the National Matches anyway where the M16/AR15s clean up.

I'm very partial to USGI parts and configuration, other than I really, really like the Bush barrel length over the M14.

The standard fiberglas stock is fine.  When SA Inc sticks a rubber pad on the butt, though, it grows to an unconfortable length.  Wood stocks just "feel right" to this old soldier, your feel may vary.  

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Nobody mentions 2" @ 500? As in you ain't gonna get it with a "field" rifle. Sub-MOA @ 100 is possible with a "field" rifle but I believe USGI accepted 2 MOA.

Wood is pretty. Fiberglass lasts longer, less problematic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top