Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 2:31:07 PM EDT
I just got my first M-14 style rifle, a SA M1A.  I'm new to this line so I don't know much about them.  I was wondering if all USGI barrels are chrome-lined?  I don't think my barrel is even a SA barrel.  It is stamped "HR 7790190" with "10 62 AG" underneath that.  Is this a Harrington & Richardson USGI barrel?  I'm pretty sure my op rod was made by them, the stamping reads "7267064 HRA."  I believe the rest of the number stamped parts are commercial SA, not USGI:

Hammer - SA 5546008
Trigger Housing - 7267030 SA
Bolt - 7790186-SA with F00066 underneath
Front Sight - NM 062
Rear Sight - SA

Regardless of USGI parts versus commercial SA parts, I'm very happy with this rifle.  As a guy who insists on having chrome-lined barrels in AR's, I'm just curious about this M1A.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Hammer and trigger group housing are USGI Springfield Armory.  The barrel and operating rod are USGI Harrington & Richardson.  Your barrel chamber and bore is chromium plated.  With one small, limited exception, USGI National Match M14 barrels are not chromium plated.  The bolt is commercial Springfield Armory, Inc. reproduction.  The front sight and rear sight knob(s) are  likely commercial reproduction.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Most of my M1A is HR as well. In spite of most of the chatter here. I'm very happy with it after over 1000 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey, thanks Different for clearing that up.  I didn't know my hammer and trigger group housing were SA USGI also, that's cool.  The more USGI parts the merrier, eh?  At least that's what I've been reading.  Also glad to hear that my barrel bore and chamber are chrome-lined.  Now I'm even happier with what I got than before!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:25:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I've seen the lining on M-14 barrels referred to as Stellite lining. Is there a difference between Stellite and chome?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've seen the lining on M-14 barrels referred to as Stellite lining. Is there a difference between Stellite and chome?

Stellite is real tough alloy used to make high performance automotive exhaust valves, and 50BMG M2 barrels.
www.stellite.com/the_brand.asp

The Stellite brand has a long and distinguished pedigree in finding solutions to wear and corrosion problems based on high performing cobalt (Stellite) and nickel (Deloro) alloys. Our focus on building successful, long-term relationships with our blue chip customers has helped us become the leading global supplier of 'wear solutions'.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Also glad to hear that my barrel bore and chamber are chrome-lined.  Now I'm even happier with what I got than before!

I came-over from the world of AR's as well, so it was very important to me that I get a chrome-lined barrel. But I found-out that for most shooters who don't send thousands of rounds down-range every year, they'd see little benefit from a lined barrel. Chrome-lined barrels are mostly important for full-auto weapons, and people who shoot a LOT. It can make your barrel last longer, but for many shooters their non-lined barrel will outlast them. Just wanted to clear this up for future reference... in case you want to add to the M1A stable and find a good deal on a non-lined barrel gun. I say take it and don't look back! I didn't...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top