Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2006 8:19:44 AM EDT
The M1A is finally come back into my budget!
Looking at the different models, I want 2

As for my questions:
Socom 16 vs Squad Scout? Any big difference besides the trigger pull and the 2" longer barrel?
Carbon or Stainless barrel? I want a stainless but do not know the pros and cons of a carbon.
Does the National Match come in the fiberglass stock as well or just wood?

Opinions:
Would you take the wood or the fiberglass stock?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#1]
What are your intended uses and you have to remember that one rifle that does it all is not quite there yet.  A Scout is what I and I know many see as the most diverse M1A in that it will still reach out to 800yards well and can be almost as short and maneuverable as the Socom without the restrictive parts choices the Socom has.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Socom:  16.5" barrel.  Close quarter sights (thicker sight post with tritium, and wider rear aperture), so don't expect to even see a 100 yard-sized target @ 200 yards with these sights (which will likely be blocked by the thick front sight post).  Non-standard M14 type gas cylinder lock with front sight (if it matters).  Having shot it, I can say that it is a very nice short rifle.

Scout:  18" barrel.  Looks very nice overall, but I have never shot one.

Standard:  22" barrel (my choice).  Longer than even an M1 Garand because of the 4" muzzlebreak (or flash hider if you are not in CA).  Good balance.  Comes with the fiberglass stock.  Go to Fredsm14stocks.com and get a GI wood stock for $35, then spend another $6 for a used buttplate.  Remove that rubber plate and put on that $6 GI one and get rid of the un-needed extra 1" length.  Then you'll have a wood and synthetic stock.

Use that coupon that will come with a new M1A and get as many magazines as you would like.  Aftermarket ones do not have a good reputation, so don't even waste any money.

Good luck.

tk

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What are your intended uses and you have to remember that one rifle that does it all is not quite there yet.  A Scout is what I and I know many see as the most diverse M1A in that it will still reach out to 800yards well and can be almost as short and maneuverable as the Socom without the restrictive parts choices the Socom has.

+1 The Scout rocks!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
A Scout is what I and I know many see as the most diverse M1A in that it will still reach out to 800yards well and can be almost as short and maneuverable as the Socom

Will it really reach out to 800?  If it will, thats awesome!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:25:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Definetly a Scout, or an older Bush model!  I picked up a Bush model, and shooting at 80 yds with surplus, the shots touch!!  if you want a shorter rifle, get a Vortex flashhider, it will shorten it by almost 2", and you still have the 18" barrel and standard gas system.  

As for the stocks, mine shipped from SA with a folder on it, but it was removed sometime in the past 21 years.  It was replaced with a bedded NM walnut stock with nice figure.  I have a synthetic on the way, as well as a tiger striped from Freds.  It will wear the tiger or walnut in the safe, and on nice shooting days, synthetic on other days, or colder days, or for hunting.  Get the walnut stock, GI synthetic are like $35 from Freds.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:33:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Definitely one full size and one Scout if yer gonna buy two!!!!

Here's my 7.62 X 51 Super Sweeties

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A Scout is what I and I know many see as the most diverse M1A in that it will still reach out to 800yards well and can be almost as short and maneuverable as the Socom

An enhanced Scout (MK14 Mod O) will reach out past 800 yards.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

athenswater.com/images/MK14SEI_2.JPG

How dare you bastardize the beautiful M14!!!What's this world coming to that we need to turn these rifles into that monstrosity!!! Shame on you!!!!

Seriously now, that is one fine M1A. H2O_MAN is that a Mark 4 MR/T 2.5-8x36 you got on there and how's it working out for you?

2.5-8x36
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#9]
The National Match M1A is produced by SA, Inc. in a wood stock only.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How dare you bastardize the beautiful M14!!!What's this world coming to that we need to turn these rifles into that monstrosity!!! Shame on you!!!!

Seriously now, that is one fine M1A. H2O_MAN is that a Mark 4 MR/T 2.5-8x36 you got on there and how's it working out for you?

Thanks Achilles1 ~

Yep, I had the prototype and highly recommend it to those of you that like variable magnification scopes.
Extremely bright, clear glass and the illuminated TMR is awesome.

Unfortunately I do not like variable magnification scopes (small exit pupil) so I returned it.
I use irons; an EOTech and will soon install a 2.5x Leupold FX-II scout scope on my MK14.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks Achilles1 ~

Yep, I had the prototype and highly recommend it to those of you that like variable magnification scopes.
Extremely bright, clear glass and the illuminated TMR is awesome.

Unfortunately I do not like variable magnification scopes (small exit pupil) so I returned it.
I use irons; an EOTech and will soon install a 2.5x Leupold FX-II scout scope on my MK14.

Wow, I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, but I can understand about the fixed power at just having a great reticle and the same power view for fast reflex shooting. I've been looking at the 1.5-5x20's for a while now and other scopes to realize that the 1.5-5 is one of the best choices for me for what I'm looking at it for, with zeroing and training with it at 100 on 1.5 to give a faster acquirement for up close and a quick few clicks and power adjustments away for those 500 to 600yard shots. I've always liked variable power scopes though for certain jobs and fixed for another myself. Thanks for the review and recommendation.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Carbon or Stainless barrel? I want a stainless but do not know the pros and cons of a carbon.
Does the National Match come in the fiberglass stock as well or just wood?

Opinions:
Would you take the wood or the fiberglass stock?

I would get the carbon steel barrel mainly because it is cheaper, but I will also opt for the chrome-lined GI over the NM medium barrel.  The chrome-lined barrel is out last the NM barrel many times over.  I've heard that people have been getting btween 7,000-10,000 out a non-chromed-line barrel, and then must be replaced because of lost of accuracy.

I think the NM model only comes in walnut because the action and stock are litterally "glued in," aka glass-bedding.  And also, I just like the looks of a walnut stock.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#13]
the NW sounds nice, but the Loaded Standard has more options to choose from.

Mk14 you say? Very hot! Can I borrow it?

Scout is diffinitly on the list
A full size with wood would be a nice addition as well.

Just have to get both.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Are you really a commie?  If so, buy a sprinfield armory M1A.  If its just a joke and you are a red blooded American, consider this advice.  Avoid any SA inc like herpesyphagonaidsatitus.  My $1525 bought me a loaded ss bbl one with a poor casting job that tore the roller off the bolt, but not before SAI made unauthorized debits from my account months after I purchased some accesories from them, I just got a reciept in the mail--oh btw...we screwed up so we decided you owe us more money.  Got a magnafluxed TRW to replace it, but its pretty crappy to buy a brand new rifle, buy an expensive bolt, have to take a file to the reciever, and pay for headspacing and refinishing.  

springfield armory:  the worlds biggest a**holes making the worlds poorest version of Americas greatest rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top