Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2003 12:42:47 AM EDT
Our Department just got a M14 from the Army.  It wasn't in the greatest shape out of the wrapper.  Had rust on the operating rod and other spots.  Most of it cleaned up nicely with some Hoppe's and steel wool.  Looks like it was probably never used.  The fiberglass stock smoothed out rather nicely with steel wool also.  The 5 mags they shipped with it were still in the wrappers and also cleaned up nicely.

The question I have is with a few markings on it.  It is a H & R rifle with the selector blocked.  On the right side of the receiver lugs, where the trigger group engages there is a "M" stamped on it.  Also on the trigger group it has stamped on it: "7******-HR-N" .  It also has a "M" on the elevation knob.  The serial number is in the 300,000's.  Is there any significance to these markings, or are they normal.  I know some deputies that have M14's with the selector, but they got theirs quite a while ago.

Link Posted: 9/24/2003 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#2]
The HR-N on the trigger group indicates that it was made for HR by a subcontractor.  Try over at www.battlerifles.com.  Those guys can help you ID all the manufacturer codes.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The M on the elevation knob lets you know the sight is calibrated in Meters.  This sight is identical to the M1 sight other than the range markings.  The M14 sight tops out at 1100 meters, the M1 sight at 1200 yards -- the same range.

I doubt the selector is blocked, just the standard nub to keep it semiautomatic.  8 bucks in parts will make it auto, although there's no reason to do so.

Skip the No. 9, this rifle has a chrome bore.  All you need is CLP and some good grease like Tetra for the few grease points.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 11:13:27 PM EDT
[#4]
All USGI M14 parts have a Drawing number, along with the manufacturer code stamped on the part.

Scott Duff explains the drawing numbers and manufacturer codes in one of his M14 books.I loaned my book to a buddy, but should get it back this weekend.I can look up the drawing numbers and codes for you if you wish.

Basically, if there is no drawing number or manufacturer code stamped on the part,it is not a USGI part.

SKBY.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 6:32:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Basically, if there is no drawing number or manufacturer code stamped on the part,it is not a USGI part.

That is not true... gas cylinders, triggers, plugs,gas locks, front bands, and a few other parts do not have drawing numbers on them...
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info so far.  I jut mainly wanted to find out if there was any significance to the marking that would make it unique.  I looked on Fulton Armory's website and found the manufacturer's codes for the mags, 1 H & R, 4 Winchester.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#7]
From http://m14.freeservers.com regarding M14 parts

Some of the parts are marked with manufacturer codes. Typically, the manufacturers stamped the operating rod, bolt, elevation and windage knobs, trigger housing, and hammer. Sometimes, the manufacturer is identified on the stock, operating rod spring guide, trigger guard, front band, rear sight base and safety.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top