www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=2996143
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#1]
smells..............................
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Its either a Hahn re-weld military M14 reciever If the curve in the picture is real its pretty bad --proably just a crappy pic.
No rear disassembly notch like an M1 that the commercial m1a recievers have and the notch in the op-rod groove without the connector link to keep it in under firing.
Or it could be a real M14 reciever (MACHINE GUN) ---trouble without the proper paperwork and he does not mention class III at all.
Or an ATF setup (see previous post refrence donkey dung)
in any case needs to be avoided. Unless its number 1 then it is over priced and judging from the MKS debacle possibly risky too.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I kinda figured it was fishy, just wasn't sure.  Are you serious about a possible ATF setup?  Why don't they spend less time on this kind of crap and more time rousting innocent tobacco farmers?
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Hahn or welding shop.
I have never seen a Hahn that crooked.
cpermd
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Anybody know what the heck this is?

I'd say it was a reweld. CAREFUL!!  The ATF is currently going around the nation collecting rewelds done by MK.  I know of one being collected in Colorado recently.

HTH....SRM
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Doesn't look a thing like my M-14.  Raises some eyebrows though. I can tell you even that guy doesn't know what he is selling with a description like "thing you pull back on to load."  
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#8]
There was a thread on one of the m14 boards about this add where one of the respondents had seen the add before and had called on it early in the morning and got an "agent X is not in at this time" and when he called later the guy was posing as a dealer. Why they would do that I dont know cause there are too many holes in the setup to make it stick - entrapment- buyers balking on no paperwork  upon seeing the rcvr no ffl wanting to touch it etc. Might not be the exact same add or person but it looks like an military M14 reciever(witout the connector link installed --commecial M1A's dont have the cut in the op rod groove and a take down notch above the op rod groove directly below the rear sight like an garand take down notch) if so as a legal class 3 its worth $7000-$8000.00 easy and could be sold in a heart beat. As a Hahn re-weld it is over priced and the potential for confiscation is there. Although the Hahns have paper from the BATF showing approval to produce them and dont have the MKS issue of improper de-milling
but its still a reweld. as a private home grown reweld run--- dont walk-- away unless you like picking metal out of your forehead and eyes if you survive. the op rod handle thing could be a "Daddy had this in the closet for years-- I dont know what it is"   which could be a scam or real. Personally I wouldnt touch it not without a lot more info from the seller.

Here is the thread :
www.gunandknife.com/cgi-bin/forums/m1aconfig.pl?read=33046
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top