Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 4:13:03 PM EDT
Why would my M14S stop ejecting? Couple of weeks ago I had it out, ran 20 rounds through it flawlessly - have had the gun three or four years and it can be picky with ammo but has always ejected with no problem. I've fired easily 1K of my reloads using IMR4895 and 150g pulled bullets. I ran t20 rounds, loaded another magazine, not one single round ejected. Bolt unlocked easily after each round fired single shot. Checked gas plug, was tight, disassembled and checked piston, was moving freely. Tried another magazine, same thing. Took it home, disassembled, cleaned, ect, ( I had one in basic training in 69 so no problem there), gun functioned fine. Loaded five rounds again using 44g IMR4895 and a 150g pulled bullet, CCI standard large rifle primer, went back to the range - same thing.

I've never seen/known it to happen, but can the gas selection switch change settings by itself? Should the slot be parallel or vertical with barrel?

thanks
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Vertical

It might be clogged with carbon and/or rust. Turn it around a few times
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Vertical

It might be clogged with carbon and/or rust. Turn it around a few times

Good idea - thanks
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#3]
check ejector and try one more mag.

Sounds weird, but my MSAR bullpup just stopped feeding all of my Stoner mags (like 4) so I tried the Pro-mag and it is back working again, no problemo.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the good pointers - bolt is not unlocking. When I manually pull it unlocks easily and the spent shell is firmly ejected. I rotated the gas spindle and it moved easily. I'll pull a few rounds of my Australian stash out and see if they run well. If so then its my reloads. They are firing strong and I get a solid recoil and barrel rise. Will also try them in my FAL to see what's up.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like it's not getting gas for some reason.  Otherwise the bolt would at least move some.

I'd take the gas plug out, pop the piston out of the gas cylinder and look at things there.   All I can think of is foreign matter binding your piston in the cylinder.  This would be a good time to clear out your gas system shutoff.  Inspect your piston and gas cylinder for cracks too.  I doubt it but check it.  

I just had another thought, is your gas cylinder still lined up with the barrel port?

I wonder if something was loose and the gas cylinder shifted while firing and is partially blocking the barrel's gas port.  Sometimes you can get carried away and wind the gas cylinder lock down to far, partially driving the gas cylinder beyond the port.  IIRC that's easy to check, just lock the op rod back to drop the piston out of the way and insert a very small allen wrench or even a straigned paper clip through the vent in the gas cylinder and see if it passes into the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Good advice - will check

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Sometimes when dicking around with the spindle valve it gets out of line. Check to see if it is verticle and be aware that it is spring loaded. When they get a little gunked up, you have to tap the back side of the spindle valve to make sure that it returns to the correct position. I find this all the time while test firing EBRs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top