Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2023 12:47:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: imonkeyman]
08/19/2023
I inherited a M1 carbine(Inland) and it needs to be serviced and repaired. Looking for a gunsmith shop to ship to and have them restored to working condition.

UPDATE 12/22/2023

Christmas came early for me. I got the call today from the Gunsmith at Fulton Armory. It is next up to be repaired starting on Tuesday(12/26/2023). He stated during his quick examination of the M1 he only observed a few minor issues.

But he did say it was missing a few parts and he would send me an itemized list on what needs repaired or replaced next week and cost. The GS stated once he starts on the M1 he should take no longer than 14 working days. The GS was very polite and knowledgeable. He took his time and explained the answers to the few questions that I had asked.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:56:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: vellnueve] [#1]
Originally Posted By imonkeyman:
I inherited a M1 carbine(Inland) and it needs to be serviced and repaired. Looking for a gunsmith shop to ship to and have them restored to working condition.

View Quote

What exactly is wrong with it? A lot of things can easily be fixed.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 1:04:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Fulton Armory or the CMP.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 1:27:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By vellnueve:

View Quote

Failure to feed failure and eject. The magazine won't seat properly along with other issues. It's beyond my skill level of part replacement. I want to pass it down to another family member but do not want to give them a rifle with issues.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 9:40:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Failure to feed failure and eject. The magazine won't seat properly along with other issues. It's beyond my skill level of part replacement. I want to pass it down to another family member but do not want to give them a rifle with issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vellnueve:

Fulton Armory is the best there is IMO. I've had them service 5 of my carbines, my Garand  and build a 6th from parts plus I own 3 of their brand Carbines

They can take time to process a firearm, current turnaround time looks to be 5 months right now. CMP I think has a longer wait time but someone else with have to answer that since I've never used them

Fulton Armory

From the sounds of it your Inland needs at least new springs in the bolt, maybe a new extractor and either a new mag catch and new springs. You need a bolt tool to work on a Carbine bolt so that's $40 bucks if you want to try that yourself.

If this were my Carbine I would send it in. Don't be put off by the $90 bucks for the shipping box and hold, they credit you $65 bucks when the service is done. That covers their shipping and handling (I got my boxes when they sold them cheaper and paid the $65 bucks shipping).

My suggestion if you do use Fulton is add this to your order

Barrel Refresh

If you don't need the recrown (they'll go over what service they feel your Carbine will need. I've always listened to them) figure $100 bucks

I would say based on my experience this will run you $300-400 bucks total depending on what parts need replacing (not counting new barrels, been there one 1 Carbine with a worn barrel). What you'll end up with is that Carbine that will be in the family for decades
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote
I know a guy that doesn't have a wait list...
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

If you’re near Anniston CMP does repairs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 3:28:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I ordered the Fulton Armory repair box today. Thank you all for the recommendations. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I've done a lot of business with Fulton. You're in good hands.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By lew:
I've done a lot of business with Fulton. You're in good hands.
View Quote

Yeap. One thing about FA, they'll check his Carbine out and if it needs servicing they'll recommend what it needs. The only thing that every threw me a curve was when they said one of the slides on 1 of the ones I had service had worn out of spec. They recommended replacing it and I did. Evidently worn slides can cause FTE issues, which I was having with that Carbine but thought it was a worn ejector
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:01:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Inland Serial # 975*** barrel stamp Inland MFG 9-43

Shipping it off Tuesday.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Nice patina one that. They should fix you up nice, the waiting will be the hard part but that gives you time to scrounge up ammo. That's the sucky part of M1 Carbines right now, price of ammo went up during Covid and hasn't dropped yet like everything else.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 12:43:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rober1] [#12]
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By rober1:
https://www.m1garand.com/
View Quote

They have an excellent rep also. I've never used them myself
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 10:58:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:00:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:01:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:15:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Excellent. Looks like they replaced the slide, they can wear or get out of spec (I had to have 1 replaced also on 1 of mine)

Let us know how she shoots now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top