Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2015 11:52:38 PM EDT
I bought the 50th anniversary 10/22 with William fire sights today and noticed this:

Needless to say the sight is crooked and couldn't hit a steel silhouette at 50 yards. I should have noticed this at the shop but was in a bit of a rush and didn't think to make sure Ruger could install a dovetail sight correctly

I've had good luck with Ruger customer service in the past but it's still a pita to box it up and take it to fedex.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 7:12:40 AM EDT
[#1]
My standard 10/22 that I bought a few months ago is hell bent on its front sight not staying put.
Gun shoots and works better than any 10/22 I've ever had, so it has a set of Nodak sights coming.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 8:51:25 AM EDT
[#2]
To me it looks like the dovetail is messed up pretty bad. I'm going to call Ruger in a few and see what they say.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To me it looks like the dovetail is messed up pretty bad. I'm going to call Ruger in a few and see what they say.
View Quote

See if they will let you send the bbl only back.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#4]
They said this model has been discontinued so they will likely just re-barrel it for me. He asked if a new set of sights would take care of the problem but to me it looks like the dove tail is damaged.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:58:34 AM EDT
[#5]
The dovetail does not look damaged to me.  It looks they didn't place the sight low enough and forced it on, and the dovetail on the sight itself shredded.  Me personally, I would knock the sight out, make sure the dovetail on the barrel is fine, have them send me a new sight, and fix it myself rather than sending it back.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#6]
That curled up metal looks like part of the barrle to me. Next time your at a gun store look at all the 10/22's and see how many of them have a jacked up front sight not sitting flat in the dove tail.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:17:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That curled up metal looks like part of the barrle to me. Next time your at a gun store look at all the 10/22's and see how many of them have a jacked up front sight not sitting flat in the dove tail.
View Quote

The last 10/22 I will ever buy can't keep the front or rear sights in their respective dovetails.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, that shaved the metal off the dovetail.  I have been a great Ruger fan, but will not purchase one without going over it with a fine tooth comb any more.  Had to send my last SP101 22 back and it was returned with the same problems I sent it in for (canted front sight and rear sight would not adjust, crunching metal sounds).  Fixed both myself rather than sending it back to them AGAIN.

Doc
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#9]
The sight itself is very clearly what is orange peeled.  For starters, the sights are made of a much softer metal than the barrel, and you can see on the left side where the finish was worn off the dovetail on the barrel.  If you look at that part where the finish is worn away, you can see the intact barrel dovetail sticking into the sight.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My standard 10/22 that I bought a few months ago is hell bent on its front sight not staying put.
Gun shoots and works better than any 10/22 I've ever had, so it has a set of Nodak sights coming.
View Quote

My 10/22, 1149 had the exact same issue.
It was fine for about 100 rounds, then drifted to the edge of the dovetail and stuck.

A set of Tech Sights solved the problem
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yep, that shaved the metal off the dovetail.  I have been a great Ruger fan, but will not purchase one without going over it with a fine tooth comb any more.  Had to send my last SP101 22 back and it was returned with the same problems I sent it in for (canted front sight and rear sight would not adjust, crunching metal sounds).  Fixed both myself rather than sending it back to them AGAIN.

Doc
View Quote

The Williams rear fire sight is made from Aluminum.  There is no way physically that the aluminum of the sight is going to cut into the steel of the barrel dovetail.  The rear sight was obviously installed by someone who didn't know what they were doing and didn't get it started properly.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:05:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

They said this model has been discontinued so they will likely just re-barrel it for me. He asked if a new set of sights would take care of the problem but to me it looks like the dove tail is damaged.
View Quote

You could tap that out, clean it up with a file or Dremel, and re-install it in about 20 minutes.  

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You could tap that out, clean it up with a file or Dremel, and re-install it in about 20 minutes.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's their screw up so I let them fix it. I should have looked it over better before I walked out with it, nor should it have left Ruger like that. It's fixed now and I wasn't really missing it since I have other 22s to shoot. After all this I may sell it to get a RAR or maybe even a 22 can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top