Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 7:30:09 AM EDT
Well I have been having much fun building AR's since I have been a member here but now I would like to get into a 10/22.

Of course there will be upgrades in the future (as with everything) but I would like some input on where to start. I would probably start with replacing the bbl and stock along with the smaller parts like extractor/trigger job etc.

With all the different models of 10/22 out there, is there one particular version that is better suited than the others to start with?

Thanks in advance for any input!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Find the cheapest 10/22 you can find...Academy, Wal-mart, it doesn't matter.  You'll end up just needing the reciever/trigger housing when you are done because you'll replace just about everything inside of it.  You can probably get about $35-40 for your stock and barrel if you sell it without firing it, and you find someone needing one.

There is no one particular model that is better suited to do a build from...I have a 10/22 carbine, and I'll be upgrading pretty much everything on it once I get my bonus checks from work next month.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#2]
IM inbound.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#3]
The only way to go-
Ruger Model 10/22 - T
The T stands for Target Model
Buy a little bit more expensive Ammo for it, and you will shoot great.  Every Time.
Put a Tasco Varmitter if you want to save some money somewhere.  I like the
Tasco Varmitter.  Not Expensive.. and works well on Prarie Dogs.

The Ruger 10/22 T
Comes withHeavy Barrel.
A new Trigger is always a good idea.  you can get down to 3.5lbs trigger for them suns a bitches.
As long as you keep the Mags Clean you can put thousands of rounds through them will little to no Problems!

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:53:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Funny thing:  It is now possible to have a 10/22 without having a single Rugr part in it.

Check out Volquartsen and Power Custom.  They make receivers, bolts, and trigger groups (The only Ruger parts left on mine).  Of course, this route is more expensive...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#5]
You might want to look around for a used one.  I paid $100 for mine, used.  No idea how many rounds are through it, but it's been re-stocked/bbl-ed by me.  If you plan to upgrade things anyway, get the cheapest one you can find.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#6]
i personally would go with a simple carbine if you are wanting to upgrade it. the higher dollar models inmo are crap to what you could build with the same amount of money.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked up an all black carbine model in a pawn shop for $149+Tax ($159 all told).

I'd check pawn shops, I saw one that was a wood stock with a scope for $139 at a pawn shop also.

So unless you're hell bent on getting a brand new one, that seems like the way to go to me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#8]
isnt expensive to buy new and the way i look at it, if its a problem child i will be the one to find out and not have one pawned off on me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top