Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2009 9:29:55 AM EDT
Found a guy that has scrap lead available  ( battery terminals)  His asking price is $2.00 per pound. Is this a fair price, or should I walk away?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#1]
RUN Forest RUN
I'm sell virgin 2/6/92 hardball alloy for $1.05 a pound , so look around
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#2]
battery terminal lead would be my very last choice. Too dirty and can trap little droplets of acid in them which boils off violently when melting. Ingots that have been prepped are much preferred although wheel weights will work in a pinch and especially if they are free and you have some time on your hands to process them. Lino lead is ideal although very hard to get cheaply these days.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't pay more then a $1/lbs. Go to a car dealership and ask someone on the service drive if they are going to throw away the old wheel weights you would love to take them off their hands. The dealership my buddy works at just throws them away and has buckets of old weights just sitting there.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Found a guy that has scrap lead available  ( battery terminals)  His asking price is $2.00 per pound. Is this a fair price, or should I walk away?

It's worth about twenty cents per pound if he sells it to a scrapper.

This is pure lead, so it needs to be alloyed for applications except muzzle loading.

http://www.scrapindex.com/metal/usa/lead/index.html

+1...The "buy" price at my local scrapyard is $.15-$.25 per pound.  Their "sell" price was about  $.55 per pound the last time I was there (early April.)
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I just picked up 3 pounds off the floor today. Tire change guys are sloppy and seldom dispose of the old weights and constantly misplace new wheel weights. I was suprised however, to see a very large number of Zinc weights laying around. I'm in South Florida and there are no real restrictions here on the use of lead products so I didn't expect to see zinc laying around. Another idea is the flashing off of old roofs, if you know of a place where old houses are getting ripped down or re-roofed look out for the old flashing...these days they use some kind of galvanized metal but the old stuff is what you are looking for. Perhaps theres a lot to be had down in New Orleans.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#7]
You can usually get it on ebaY for around a buck a pound shipped.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Just bought a bunch of ingots that came from a hospital for .40 a pound.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:43:04 AM EDT
[#9]
The range I get my brass from sells there scrap lead bullets for between $0.10-$0.15 per pound, but they won't sell them to me because of insurance reasons  You can find lead for around $1.00 per pound online, check ebay.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top