Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2002 3:51:57 PM EDT
Since I am a lefty, does anyone have any information on any makes of left handed Bolt Actions for the Calibers listed below.

.22 Hornet
.22 LR

Also, does anyone know if Remington makes the 700 PPS, or if any of the CZ rifles come in a left handed Action?

Thanks in advance,

Landwarrior...
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Landwarrior, try looking at Ruger's M77 line of rifles. They make some left handed models.

ArmaLiter

Link Posted: 5/11/2002 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#2]
www.remington.com/firearms/left_hand/700vslh.htm

Basically a PSS with a different stock on it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#3]

I think Savage makes their 110 FP in a lefty version.

later,
AJ
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Landwarrior, try looking at Ruger's M77 line of rifles. They make some left handed models.

Not in the calibers he wants. The Model 77 is only available in long action standard fare calibers (.270 WCF, .30-06, 7mm Remington Magnum, .300 Winchester Magnum).

Remington offers the 700 VS (as pointed out by brouhaha) in .223 and .308. Savage offers the most calibers and the most factory versions of left-handed rifles in .223 and .308. I don't know of any factory chamberings for lefties EVER in .22 Hornet. Kimber MAY HAVE (never interested in their product line, so don't really know) offered left-handed .22 rimfires at one time. Many years ago, Mossberg offered a bolt action .22 in a left-handed version (before WWII, believe it or not) and Browning made their now discontinued T-Bolt .22 rimfire in a left handed version.

Charles Daly is importing Zastava Mausers in left-handed versions now, including a Mini Mauser in .223. Check their 'site, the suggested retail is $559.

There are also lots of now discontinued Sakos (not those friggin' Tikkas) out there in short action left-handed versions.

Other options are getting something custom made (Dakota Arms makes some neat stuff, IF you have the jack).

And yes, I am in the forgotten 10%, too (left-handed Sauer 202 on order).
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Not in the calibers he wants. The Model 77 is only available in long action standard fare calibers (.270 WCF, .30-06, 7mm Remington Magnum, .300 Winchester Magnum).

Jim..thanks for correcting me. I didn't realize that the left handed M77s were limited to the 4 calibers.
I just got a M77VLE Law Enforcement rifle in .308(right handed of course). I only put 25 rounds through it, but with very nice results and this is my first bolt-action rifle ever. It is another great choice along the lines of the Remington700 and Savage. Too bad they don't make lefty models for it.

ArmaLiter
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I feel your pain as well; I'm also one of the forgotten 10%.

Remington for a few years around the late '80s offered a short action 700BDL LH in several calibers; that's when I picked up my .22-250.

For a .223 or .308 check out the Savage 11FL, 11GL, or 11GLC. They're less than half the price of the 700 VS LH.

For a .22LR left-hand bolt action Savage catalogues the Mark II GL, GLXP, and GLY (Y==Youth).  The Anschutz .22LR 1903 match rifle is also available in a LH version.

From memory, Jim Dandy is correct in that the original company that was Kimber catalogued their model 22 .22 LR in a LH version.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 9:07:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Kimber of Oregon made beautiful LH 22's and .223's.  The new Kimber (New York) didn't last time I checked.  Cooper Arms of Montana makes wonderful looking LH 22's and .223's $$$!!!

You might try Sako for the LH short actions.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 9:42:08 PM EDT
[#8]

You might try Sako for the LH short actions.

Already covered. Sako ceased offering left-handed guns in their line with the introduction of the 75. They only offer Tikkas (overpriced for their quality) in left-handed versions and I'm not sure if they're short action.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 5:51:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You are correct. As a left handed shooter, this matched my wants perfectly.

GIB

Link Posted: 5/12/2002 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are correct. As a left handed shooter, this matched my wants perfectly.
...snip...
GIB

Ditto. Great gun! Available in .223/.22-250/.308. Remington markets this gun on their Law Enforcement website as the "PSS for left handed shooters" it essentially uses the same heavy barrel and the stock is made by H-S Precision as well. The difference? No second forward sling stud and it doesn't have the fat palm swell (which I never liked anyway).

Link Posted: 5/12/2002 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#12]
And in that spirit, here is mine in .308 WCF:

There are also quite a few Remington 788s out there in left-handed versions. Not the prettiest rifle, but they sure can shoot.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Browning also makes a left-handed rifle in 308, but you're probably better off with the rem 700 vs.  I'm thinking of getting the stainless A-Bolt in 30'06.  Anyone have an opinion on Browning A-bolts?

I wish they made more left handed rifles.  I'm having a devil of a time trying to decide on a new left handed bolt rifle.  I want a stainless (but non-reflective satin finish), 30'06, left handed, accurate bolt gun (.75 to 1 inch with hand loads).  As near as I can tell I'm going to have to go with a custom gun no matter what I do.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Browning also makes a left-handed rifle in 308, but you're probably better off with the rem 700 vs.

Browning doesn't make a short action left-handed rifle.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Browning also makes a left-handed rifle in 308, but you're probably better off with the rem 700 vs.

Browning doesn't make a short action left-handed rifle.

Oops, you're right. I was thinking '06, and I guess even that isn't a short action.  Nix that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 2:07:06 PM EDT
[#16]

I want a stainless (but non-reflective satin finish), 30'06, left handed, accurate bolt gun (.75 to 1 inch with hand loads). As near as I can tell I'm going to have to go with a custom gun no matter what I do.

What about the Ruger Left-Handed Sporter, catalog #KM77LRBBZ
MK II? It's in a dull stainless steel finish with a laminated stock. If it shoots anything like its blued walnut counterpart, it should fit your accuracy requirement. My M77 MKII in .270 WCF consistently shoots sub-MOA with handloads.

Should look something like this, but backwards.

Link Posted: 5/12/2002 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
...snip.....
There are also quite a few Remington 788s out there in left-handed versions. Not the prettiest rifle, but they sure can shoot.

I agree, but if you have a 6mm, good luck finding clips for it. I have a 6mm L/H and I finally found two clips on Auction Arms about a year ago. Plus finding replacement parts for these older guns is getting harder and harder.

GIB
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I want a stainless (but non-reflective satin finish), 30'06, left handed, accurate bolt gun (.75 to 1 inch with hand loads). As near as I can tell I'm going to have to go with a custom gun no matter what I do.

What about the Ruger Left-Handed Sporter, catalog #KM77LRBBZ
MK II? It's in a dull stainless steel finish with a laminated stock. If it shoots anything like its blued walnut counterpart, it should fit your accuracy requirement. My M77 MKII in .270 WCF consistently shoots sub-MOA with handloads.

Should look something like this, but backwards.

I never really considered another Ruger.  I've not had good luck with Ruger rifles, and they don't have the greatest reputation from what I've heard.  I had one in 300 win mag and now have one in 280 rem.  I am not impressed with the accuracy of either, although I am no expert by a long shot (pun intended).  Have you had any smithing done to your's?
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Have you had any smithing done to your's?

I haven't had a thing done to mine. The trigger is a shade on the heavy side (almost 6 lbs.), but breaks clean without any creep. My Dad has two M77s, an older tang safety model in .243 WCF and a MKII in 6.5x55mm. Both are tackdrivers with nothing special added. I also have a #1B in .257 Roberts that's quite a tackdriver, too. I tend to regard some of the negative items regarding Rugers with a grain of salt. Some people have an agenda (maybe mama didn't love them enough). I don't know, but my load notes speak for themselves and I haven't had any problems killing a deer and that's what counts. I have never MET a bona fide Ruger owner that didn't have good shooting rifle. The common denominator for the negative stuff is, "I knew a guy" or "I used to own...," etc. Take that for what it's worth.

One thing I did change over the basic factory rifle is the addition of Ruger's polish blued steel floorplate.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for all the info guys... it is nice to know that there are other lefties that have managed to find left handed Bolt Actions rifles...

I currently have a Ruger K77/22VHZ in .22 Hornet (right hand action) that I use on Groundhogs on my Property. But being a lefty the followup shots, or going after another target is somewhat a slow process.

Hey GI_Brat and Darkhelmet,

How well does the Remington 700 VS L-H Shoot? Have you done any mods to the rifles?
Where did you manage to find them?

Thanks,

Landwarrior...
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Browning also makes a left-handed rifle in 308, but you're probably better off with the rem 700 vs.  I'm thinking of getting the stainless A-Bolt in 30'06.  Anyone have an opinion on Browning A-bolts?

I wish they made more left handed rifles.  I'm having a devil of a time trying to decide on a new left handed bolt rifle.  I want a stainless (but non-reflective satin finish), 30'06, left handed, accurate bolt gun (.75 to 1 inch with hand loads).  As near as I can tell I'm going to have to go with a custom gun no matter what I do.

I had the same problem a few years ago.  I wanted a stainless/composite rifle with a lefty action chambered in 7mm mag; I couldn't even get the Remington Custom Shop to make me that rifle!  I bought the Browning A-bolt Stainless Stalker.  It is the most accurate "out of the box" hunting rifle I have fired.  It consistently groups .5-.75 with the Winchester 165grn Failsafes.  It's a great rifle and I would highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#22]

How well does the Remington 700 VS L-H Shoot? Have you done any mods to the rifles?

Mine shoots about 0.5" for 5 shots at 125 yards (the longest measured range at which I shoot). The only "mod" done to mine aside from mounting a Leupold Vari-XIII 4.5x14, was carefully breaking in the barrel IAW Sinclair International's method as outlined in their Precsion Shooting Manual. A local shop (OKC) had two in stock: one in .308 WCF and one in .223 Remington. I see them advertised regularly in Gun List for $619 (I gave $661 with tax for mine two years ago).

Another one that hasn't been brought up is the Remington 40X rifles. They're available from the custom shop and a little pricey, but still quite a bit less than a Dakota.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had the same problem a few years ago.  I wanted a stainless/composite rifle with a lefty action chambered in 7mm mag; I couldn't even get the Remington Custom Shop to make me that rifle!  I bought the Browning A-bolt Stainless Stalker.  It is the most accurate "out of the box" hunting rifle I have fired.  It consistently groups .5-.75 with the Winchester 165grn Failsafes.  It's a great rifle and I would highly recommend it.

Thanks for the heads up.  The more I sit in front of this computer looking at everyting out there the more attractive this rifle looks to me. If I get one it'll be in 30'06.  If you don't mind:

The barrel and action has a mirror finish, right.  It's hard to tell on the website?

How's the trigger?  Must be pretty decent to give you those kind of groups.

How's the stock?  I find a lot of composite stocks are junk.

Thanks for your time.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#24]
The catalog number for the left-handed A-Bolt Stalker in .30-06 is 035-009226. The Stalkers that I've looked at (all right-handed guns) had a matte finish (sort of bead blasted) and "okay" stocks (I'm partial to the H-S Precision on my Model 700). The A-Bolt is known for having a good out-of-the-box trigger.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey Everyone,
Being a lefty in a right handed world, I understand where you are coming from. You've been given some great suggestions so far. Since I'm not sure of your budget, I wanted to throw in one more.
H&S Precision, Inc. now offers their proprietary HS2000 action in a left handed version. It has a three position safety, a detachable box magazine, a solid extractor and other features that make it an excellent and strong base. Barrel lengths and profiles are at your discretion. Any .30 caliber or lower is guarenteed half MOA for 5 shots at 100 meters. They also have several stock profiles and colors to choose from. These are the same stocks used by many of the better companies on thier precision rifles.
I am in the process of having my rifle built by them. It will sport a 26 or possibly 28 inch full profile fluted barrel, a long range precision stock in green/ brown camoflage, and will be chambered in the .300 Remington Ultra Mag. I'm hoping to join the one mile club with it.
Good luck in your search for your perfect rifle. As an aside, if your desire for a bolt gun revolves around accuracy beliefs, I'd like to recommend you consider some of the fine autoloading AR rifles described in these forums. The prices aren't overwhelming for the most part, and many are substantially more accurate than the average bolt. Remember, most factory guns have a projected accuracy requirement of 1.5 MOA. There are a number of .5 MOA ARs described on this site. Just some food for thought...
Harry
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 10:55:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I never really considered another Ruger.  I've not had good luck with Ruger rifles, and they don't have the greatest reputation from what I've heard.  I had one in 300 win mag and now have one in 280 rem.  I am not impressed with the accuracy of either, although I am no expert by a long shot (pun intended).  Have you had any smithing done to your's?

Well, I'm not Jim_Dandy, but I have a left handed Ruger 77 Mk 2 in .30-06. It wears a Leupold 2.5-8x scope, had its trigger tuned by a gunsmith (in exchange for brass I didn't want!), and I free-floated the barrel. It shoots about 0.75 moa. It shot this good before I free-floated the barrel, but the zero changed under sling tension, and the free-floating fixed that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 3:50:41 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
...snip...

Thanks,

Landwarrior...

I am able to get ½ groupings at 100 yards using Hornady TAP AMAX 168 #80965
No modifications other than the Leupold 3.5-10x40 L/R M1
GIB
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:07:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Bigshooter, the Browning Stainless Stalker has a matte finish.  The trigger is not terribly light but it is VERY crisp and breaks clean.  The stock is of the standard hunting contour; it's not the best in the world, but nothing as flimsy as the Savage and totally appropriate for a hunting rifle.

Edited to add that mine has a Leupold 3.5x10x50 VXIII on leupold mounts, and I have around $1200 in the total package.  Believe me, you won't get a Remington CS or H-S Precision rifle for that kind of money.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Does anyone know why a company could not make a convertable bolt action?

For example design a rifle that has a stock cutout for both left and right bolt actions. Then give you the option to have a bolt with either a left or right pull arm, with of course the proper safety set-up on the bolt assembly.

The major issue would be to design the bolt locking mechanism that would operate with both setups (since the bolt motion is in opposite directions)

Landwarrior...
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Does anyone know why a company could not make a convertable bolt action?

For example design a rifle that has a stock cutout for both left and right bolt actions. Then give you the option to have a bolt with either a left or right pull arm, with of course the proper safety set-up on the bolt assembly.

The major issue would be to design the bolt locking mechanism that would operate with both setups (since the bolt motion is in opposite directions)

Landwarrior...

Or they could just sell the rifle with two bolts.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Bigshooter, the Browning Stainless Stalker has a matte finish.  The trigger is not terribly light but it is VERY crisp and breaks clean.  The stock is of the standard hunting contour; it's not the best in the world, but nothing as flimsy as the Savage and totally appropriate for a hunting rifle.

Edited to add that mine has a Leupold 3.5x10x50 VXIII on leupold mounts, and I have around $1200 in the total package.  Believe me, you won't get a Remington CS or H-S Precision rifle for that kind of money.

Stainless Stalker
7 Mag
.300 Win Mag

A-Bolt Medallion
.30-06

GIB
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 4:26:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Nice guns BRAT!!

Browning and Leupold... I see a pattern here.

You have to appreciate someone that knows what they like!
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 4:58:33 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Nice guns BRAT!!

Browning and Leupold... I see a pattern here.

You have to appreciate someone that knows what they like!

Thanks!
I just wish more gun manufactures would produce left handed rifles in different calibers..example.. Savage is the only one that I know of that produces a left handed .243.

As of '94 the Ruger 22 Hornet was only available in a right handed version.

I guess a person could go to the extremes of having a Left handed stock built for a right handed rifle. A few years ago I had Reinhart Fajen (sp.) do just that for a 7.7 Jap that I sporterized.

GIB

Top Top