Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2011 11:48:10 AM EDT
My primer shuttle does not move back far enough to pick up a primer.  It looks like about 1/8" but I have not measure it with calipers.  I'd like to do some loading this weekend and not batch prime.  Anybody know how to get the adjustment on this fixed?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Run the ram all the way up. Loosen the screw that holds the priming system cam wire in place. Push the cam wire out until you hear a primer fall, then go just a tad bit further. Tighten the screw. You should be set then.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I should have mentioned I did that.  It still isn't pushing the primer shuttle back far enough.

Is something out of spec?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#3]
i realize you can't call hornady today but that's your best option.
has the press ever primed before; is it brnad new/just assembled by you/did you assemble it correctly?
not trying to razz; just trying to help.
my press came mostly assembled so i missed out on lots of assembly.
iirc, the wire the primer feeder rides on can't really be moved. if you tinker too much w/it you may wind up having to wait for a new part!

ok. i checked my press: on mine the primer carrier really moves back(on the way to get a primer)when the subplate is about halfway up.
if that's not how/when yours starts to move rearward i would try to bend it lower so it will move further back(you will also have to bend the next bend up, toward the top).
good luck
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I have used the press, but only for .223 and .308.  I was batch priming on those rounds after I tumbled the lube off.  

The plastic piece attached to the cam wire has an oblong hole, but it is not long enough to push the wire out.  I don't want to bend anything in an unnatural way.  

Looks like I will give them a call on monday.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I should have mentioned I did that.  It still isn't pushing the primer shuttle back far enough.

Is something out of spec?

Lemmie go look at my press.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you perhaps trying to prime with large primers, but with the small primer shuttle and punch still in place?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Are you perhaps trying to prime with large primers, but with the small primer shuttle and punch still in place?

Nope, I think I have tried what i think are all the "stupid" mistakes.  I appreciate the help though, don't want you to keep running back to your press.  I'll call Hornady on Monday.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#8]
waiting for DoubleAs reply this time.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#9]
The block that the primer feed tube sits in can also be adjusted a bit as well.

Looking at my press, at full up, the primer shuttle is almost flush with the end of the slide, and the bottom of the cam wire is perfectly vertical. My only suggestion is to remove the screw on the top of the press completely, and look at the plastic piece to see if may be some flash from the mold is preventing you from moving it any further.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

In what way?  That would help but it seemed like the alignment pin and the screw kept it in one place.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In what way?  That would help but it seemed like the alignment pin and the screw kept it in one place.
It allows you to adjust it left or right.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:08:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Looking at my press, at full up, the primer shuttle is almost flush with the end of the slide, and the bottom of the cam wire is perfectly vertical. My only suggestion is to remove the screw on the top of the press completely, and look at the plastic piece to see if may be some flash from the mold is preventing you from moving it any further.

Mine is about 1/8" from being flush.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I was having the same problem this week.  I took a large flat scredriver and placed in in the upper bend and gave it a pretty good wack with a hammer.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#14]
i would need more explanation/direction before i put the 'arm' on that!
pics please.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I was having the same problem this week.  I took a large flat scredriver and placed in in the upper bend and gave it a pretty good wack with a hammer.  Problem solved.

This is what I'm leaning towards.  I even played with the height of the cam wire. I unmounted my press and adjusted the height a little bite with the two small nuts.  I had no idea there was one under the base of the damn thing.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Several things to check before you start bending wire:

1.  The primer feed tube has a small machined collar on one end.  That end goes down.  

2.  When you place the primer feed tube assembly on the alignment pin twist to the left facing the press as you tigten the allen screw.

3.  Make sure the feed tube is seated all the way down.  You can tell from how the black collar on top sits.

4.  Place a wooden or plastic dowel on top of the primer stack.  It needs a little pressure at least with the last few.  Mark the dowel where you are down to one.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is what I'm leaning towards.  I even played with the height of the cam wire. I unmounted my press and adjusted the height a little bite with the two small nuts.  I had no idea there was one under the base of the damn thing.    

Sent you a PM.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:18:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

1.  The primer feed tube has a small machined collar on one end.  That end goes down.  

2.  When you place the primer feed tube assembly on the alignment pin twist to the left facing the press as you tigten the allen screw.

3.  Make sure the feed tube is seated all the way down.  You can tell from how the black collar on top sits.

4.  Place a wooden or plastic dowel on top of the primer stack.  It needs a little pressure at least with the last few.  Mark the dowel where you are down to one.

Good luck.

I believe that is the purpose of the porcelain dowel that comes with the press.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:49:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

I believe that is the purpose of the porcelain dowel that comes with the press.

OK, I'll bite.  No porcelain dowel came with mine.  Is this a new thing?  If it is, Hornady will probably send a new one free.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:51:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Is is a new thing. You could just as well buy a thin wooden dowel or piece of brass rod. I think the one that comes with the press now is fiberglass rod.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:14:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Is is a new thing. You could just as well buy a thin wooden dowel or piece of brass rod. I think the one that comes with the press now is fiberglass rod.

I've got the fiberglass rod that chases the primers down the tube.  

Something must have been bound up at some point, because my cam wire is destroyed.  

I appreciate all the help and ideas everyone has offered.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:47:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Nvm, didn't read far enough down.

RB

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Issue will be resolved when replacement parts get here.  Tech support was quite helpful.  Sounds like the cam wire got bent at some point.

They are sending me two, so they must think I'm an idiot.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#24]
They bend pretty easy so haveing a spare on hand is a good thing.

I also did not get a primer chaser.  I feel hurt.  Anyone have any luck getting one from them for free?

My only primer problems are caused by crap getting into the groove for the shuttle and it not going forward far enough.  Happens especially with small primers.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#25]
And the solution to crap in the primer shuttle area is a blast of compressed air.  Works great.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:37:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Issue will be resolved when replacement parts get here.  Tech support was quite helpful.  Sounds like the cam wire got bent at some point.

They are sending me two, so they must think I'm an idiot.  

Send it to me.  I'm an idiot too.

I bent mine up pretty good, but luckily I was able to bend it back enought that it works just fine.   At least for now, I've learned my lesson.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top