Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2016 6:50:22 PM EDT
I have a line on some "New Demilled" 9x19 aluminum cases. Blazer I believe. These are new, never fired, primed cases.

I thought about buying some to use at the ranch where it is very hard to find brass to pickup. The disposable nature of aluminum sounds good in this case.

Does anyone know if you can buy aluminum cased ammo that is loaded full power? I like to load my practice ammo to about the same power level as my SD ammo so recoil, POI is the same.

Thinking a 124 gr. Plated FP going about 1150 FPS or so?

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Why is it that some gun manuals (Henry comes to mind) says dont use aluminum cases ammo? Never gave it much thought.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:28:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why is it that some gun manuals (Henry comes to mind) says dont use aluminum cases ammo? Never gave it much thought.
View Quote

Most aluminum cases I can think of have an aluminum "bar" over the primer, presumably to prevent reuse. I assume it may not resize as well or perhaps becomes or is too brittle for repeated use.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:46:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Blazer makes aluminum 9mm ammo.  Their 124 FMJ is running at 1090.

http://www.blazer-ammo.com/blazer_chart.aspx
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:00:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a line on some "New Demilled" 9x19 aluminum cases. Blazer I believe. These are new, never fired, primed cases.

I thought about buying some to use at the ranch where it is very hard to find brass to pickup. The disposable nature of aluminum sounds good in this case.

Does anyone know if you can buy aluminum cased ammo that is loaded full power? I like to load my practice ammo to about the same power level as my SD ammo so recoil, POI is the same.

Thinking a 124 gr. Plated FP going about 1150 FPS or so?

Thoughts?

View Quote

I can tell you that I ran some Blazer Brass ammo and then some Blazer aluminum cased ammo through the chrony a little over a month ago. Both 180gr.

The brass cased was between 969fps to 1005fps for a 179.2pf. Projectile weight was 182.5gr.

I don't have the numbers for the alum case but it was slightly higher fps  with a higher pf.

This was through a G35 game gun and I had a number of light strikes on the alum cased stuff. The primers seem very hard.

I fired about 250rds of the brass cased stuff with no misfires or light primer strikes. Powder was very clean.

This was .40sw,  180gr
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:26:44 AM EDT
[#6]
As long you can still buy surplus 9mm brass by the 50 gallon drum and find  forum for sale adds for less than .03 per case, I ask the question why?

Some guys enjoy the challenge of reloading steel cases too.

Good luck with your experiment.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As long you can still buy surplus 9mm brass by the 50 gallon drum and find  forum for sale adds for less than .03 per case, I ask the question why?

View Quote

To be clear, I am not talking about reloading the aluminum cases. These are new already primed and ready to load. Just looking at this as a shortcut to get me some ranch loads together fast.

I have a big supply of loaded brass ammo, but hate to shoot it at the ranch because the brass is usually lost.  My thought was I'd load up the aluminum, shoot it and leave it on the ground.

I just want to make sure the aluminum cases will handle a full power load. Based on the other responses, I believe the answer is Yes.

Also, these are .06 per round shipped to me.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s250.photobucket.com/user/dryflash3/media/Powder%20Coat/P1010905_zpsr3uylezi.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Powder%20Coat/P1010905_zpsr3uylezi.jpg</a>  

45 ACP is Boxer primed as well as some 9mm I just picked up last month.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most aluminum cases I can think of have an aluminum "bar" over the primer, presumably to prevent reuse. I assume it may not resize as well or perhaps becomes or is too brittle for repeated use.
<a href="http://s250.photobucket.com/user/dryflash3/media/Powder%20Coat/P1010905_zpsr3uylezi.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Powder%20Coat/P1010905_zpsr3uylezi.jpg</a>  

45 ACP is Boxer primed as well as some 9mm I just picked up last month.

The old style blazer aluminum was also boxer, but had the metal protrusion in the way of the primer. I have not seen any for years, it may have changed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#9]
"Loading" vs. "re-loading."

These are virgin cases guys.  

Not "once fired" -  these are NEVER FIRED.  BRAND NEW (then pulled down).

OP: load with confidence.  These are effectively the same thing as factory-new primed cases.  Any published load in a reputable "RE" - loading manual will be fine.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because you can buy primed aluminum case for $.04 shipped and not have to pick it uo.  Comes in handy at competitions and other venues when you cant pick up your brass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top