Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 2/15/2013 7:19:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/15/2013 7:20:17 AM EDT by exx1976]
I don't currently have one. I've borrowed them from friends from time to time, but I think I'd like to finally buy one myself.

I don't want to say "Money is no object", but I also don't want a bunch of recommendations for some cheap piece of crap that only works 20% of the time. I do alright, and am willing to plunk down a few hundred $ for a good one.

I will be using this outdoors for both pistol and rifle rounds. There will be no indoor use.

I would like the "brains" to be on the bench next to me, so that A) if I shoot the thing, I shot the cheap part, and B) I can look at it on the bench without having to walk down a hot range.

The ability to dump load data onto a computer via USB (or serial?) cable would be excellent as well.

What do YOU use that meets these criteria, why do you like it, what do you not like about it, and please be specific as to make/model# so I can locate one.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:29:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By exx1976:
I don't currently have one. I've borrowed them from friends from time to time, but I think I'd like to finally buy one myself.

I don't want to say "Money is no object", but I also don't want a bunch of recommendations for some cheap piece of crap that only works 20% of the time. I do alright, and am willing to plunk down a few hundred $ for a good one.

I will be using this outdoors for both pistol and rifle rounds. There will be no indoor use.

I would like the "brains" to be on the bench next to me, so that A) if I shoot the thing, I shot the cheap part, and B) I can look at it on the bench without having to walk down a hot range.

The ability to dump load data onto a computer via USB (or serial?) cable would be excellent as well.

What do YOU use that meets these criteria, why do you like it, what do you not like about it, and please be specific as to make/model# so I can locate one.

Thanks!

This is what I purchased - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/852429/competition-electronics-prochrono-digital-chronograph

along with the computer connection http://www.midwayusa.com/product/538940/competition-electronics-digital-usb-interface-for-pro-chrono-digital-chronograph

and i got one of these just in case i shot one, which i figured was bound to happen (cheap insurance i figured)

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/128143/competition-electronics-2-diffusers-and-4-rods-for-prochrono-chronograph

alas....i didn't shoot the rods...

instead.....

But that's ok, mere flesh wound still works. Contacted them directly and i can send it in for repair, worst case scenario she said was if i shot through the main board and all the other components would be 1/2 cost of retail. not too bad vs taking a hit for new.

Anyhow, i must have installed the drivers wrong cause it didnt work on my screen connection, but ironically...i'm just about to call them to figure that part out, then i'll test it with my air rifle. But I like it. It seems to work just fine, read every shot (well except for 1 lol)

The software looks decent, and you can from the looks of it, control everything right from the computer. Plus you can throw up a big screen to just see your speeds as you fire. I'd buy it again.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:31:06 AM EDT
http://www.neconos.com/category/Chronographs-25

Definitely not a "cheap piece of crap". But it comes at a steep price. That said, I am very happy with mine and don't regret the purchase at all. You would have to really FU to shoot this thing too.

I use it with a battery while shooting then bring the unit inside and dump all the data onto my computer. Software is a bit quirky but once you figure it out, it's great.

Ron
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:31:54 AM EDT
btw...once i get my connection to it working, i'll throw two short strings through it and take some pictures of the computer screen so you can judge for yourself if it appeals to you or not.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:33:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By rgold1963:

Definitely not a "cheap piece of crap". But it comes at a steep price. That said, I am very happy with mine and don't regret the purchase at all. You would have to really FU to shoot this thing too.

I use it with a battery while shooting then bring the unit inside and dump all the data onto my computer. Software is a bit quirky but once you figure it out, it's great.

Ron

Hey...I resemble that remark !

Woah...$800, ok if i shot for a living perhaps, man...do you get a kiss with that purchase?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:38:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Scorpius:
Originally Posted By rgold1963:

Ron

Hey...I resemble that remark !

Woah...$800, ok if i shot for a living perhaps, man...do you get a kiss with that purchase?

I better get more than a kiss for $800!

Ok, everyone, I guess I should be a bit more specific in my price range.

I'd like to spend maybe $400 on the high side for this purchase.

I was simply trying to weed out "Yeah, I bought one of those plastic bullet-shaped chronographs and it works pretty good, gives me a speed for every third shot on REALLY sunny days"
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:53:00 AM EDT
The area that the prochrono can read is huge. lot larger than my beta chrony. i put blue tape on the rods to tell me where the area is to shoot.

Get prochrono with the remote cable. if you want to do it indoors, get the led kit also. should be about $200 for all of it if its on sale

I, and many of my friends that have them love them
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:17:34 AM EDT
Look at an Oehler 35.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:19:59 AM EDT
I love my CED M2. I like that I can download all the data on to my computer when I come home from the range.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:27:41 PM EDT
ok here is the software and a little about how it works.

You can open a big window (big display button) to just show you your shots as you fire a certain string.
When done, click string change and it will advance the unit to the next string.

Before moving to the next string, or even back at home you can just do 'get velocites' for each string and it will show each. note here i do not have power factor checked.

Notice it shows data on the left side so ES, SD, avg velocity, hi, low...Also in this one i've selected to show the power factor.

and finally...you can view an overall graph view

Its not the greatest software in the world, (coming from someone in the software field) but for me, it just lets me know some information that hopefully translates to what i'm seeing on the target for each load i'm shooting. I imagine (will be testing this soon) if you wanted to ladder method then you would need to rotate strings between each shot. Not too expensive...does the job. I was very interested in the CED2, however all the reviews I found were 50-50 so I decided not to risk it for the price difference.

Good luck with your decision, hope this helps you one way or the other. Let us know what you get and maybe review it if it's something different.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:29:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By imtheflash:
I love my CED M2. I like that I can download all the data on to my computer when I come home from the range.

The CED M2 was the runner up to my recent prochrono purchase. The prochrono won me over based on price (on sale $100, reg $120), ability to connect to a computer for real time read outs/string change/etc at the bench ($50 or diy for ~ $25) replacement rods/sky screen ($8), indoor sky screen would run another $60 and free software. The "brains" are down range but if I do ever shoot it to death, replacement parts are inexpensive. If I keep my "brain" in the game, this should never be a problem.

Every reasonably affordable chrono (for my pocket book) had some raving reviews and some poo poo reviews. From my research, there are a few factors that will effect chrono accuracy. Lighting conditions which you should account for, distance from muzzle along with correct alignment and supposedly really shiny bullets can cause issues under the right circumstances. The first time out with mine it read the all 80rds thru it with good numbers, even with it only set up 7 feet from the muzzle. Another Shooter wanted to try it with his 7mm mag. I thought it would choke being so close but it spit out 2950fps for his one shot.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:45:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By imtheflash:

I agree. The most expensive part downrange is the tripod you've got it mounted on. And the CED M2 will also do all of those calculations right there on the chrony itself out at the range - it's just not as gee-whiz as having it hooked up to your laptop.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 4:10:53 PM EDT
I agree. The most expensive part downrange is the tripod you've got it mounted on

Would that be considered a hidden cost? Don't recall the exact purchase price of my tripod but recall I didn't like it!

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:38:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By YourAlterEgo:
I agree. The most expensive part downrange is the tripod you've got it mounted on

Would that be considered a hidden cost? Don't recall the exact purchase price of my tripod but recall I didn't like it!

I bought a tri-pod for my camera for $25. It works great for the Chrony.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:40:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By pepe-lepew:
Originally Posted By YourAlterEgo:

I bought a tri-pod for my camera for $25. It works great for the Chrony.

You are correct. Nothing too sturdy is probably required. I bought mine a long time ago to support a, big old billow type film, medium format or small, large format camera. So my stand is rather robust.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:19:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2013 8:24:34 AM EDT by jmt1271]
You should most definitely check out the magneto-speed chronograph.

It is bad ass. I got the gen 2, because the bayonet attachment is optimized for use with a suppressor.

I put off buying a chrono for years because of the hassle and finicky-ness. All that's a non issue with magneto-speed. Strap it to end of barrel or suppressor, make sure it's lined up, plug in the display and get readings. Indoors or out and regardless of weather/light.

Only drawback, currently, is it cannot be used with some pistols, but that will be addressed eventually IMO.

It's awesome.

Top Top