Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2002 6:18:36 AM EDT
Have you ever lent someone a firearm and never got it back????? What did you do?????
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 6:34:23 AM EDT
[#1]
yes !!!!!! sorta......

i loaned a M-94, 30-30 Winchester to a "friend".., after the hunting season ended (deer) i asked for the rifle, "oh i want to clean it first", then, "i want to go coyote hunting with it tommorow", it was one excuse after another for almost a year, one day when my wife & i were visiting i just went to his room where he kept the rifle, picked it up & walked out with it.......

belive it or not the sonofabitch called the cops on me for stealing his property !! after that was cleard up......

i got one good punch on the SOBs nose, GAWD !! i never seen so much blood, never saw the SOB after that !!!!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 6:39:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Any friend that has borrowed a piece from me knows very well how important it is to return it to me in a clean, timely, and respectful manner.

Set the ground rules first.  As a general rule it's best NOT to lend anything out.  Liability purposes alone...
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 7:04:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Lend a firearm? Shit, I don't even let other people fondle them!
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 7:33:43 AM EDT
[#4]
if your going hunting with me i will "lend" you one of my throw downs but you will not be out of my sight for more than a few hours.  no you can't have it for the "day" or the weekend.

there is a possibility they can use it to commit a crime and i am left holding the weapon with no alibi.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#5]
absolutely not
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 8:22:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Tools, yes.
Firearms, NOOOOOOO!

Actually my grandfather lent at least one long gun one fall to some "friends" before he went down south for the winter.  He died while on vacation.  For some reason my grandmother never asked for it back, as she didn't even know which gun was lent.  She thought that they would eventually bring it back.  She was wrong.

Sometimes when bad things happen, you really find out who your real friends are.  The "friends" are long since dead, so who knows what happened to it as I could never find any evidence of what was actually lent.

This happened when I was but a youngster or I would have insisted that the firearm be returned.  I see old pictures of my grandfather standing next to deer with an old Winchester lever gun and since we don't have one, wonder if this was "the one".

Very sad situation.

By the way, he had some empty cartridge cases in 38-56 caliber lying around.  Perhaps from successful hunts past, I don't know.  Anybody know what Winchester rifles were chambered for this cartridge?
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#7]

By the way, he had some empty cartridge cases in 38-56 caliber lying around. Perhaps from successful hunts past, I don't know. Anybody know what Winchester rifles were chambered for this cartridge?

Model 86 Winchester.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

By the way, he had some empty cartridge cases in 38-56 caliber lying around. Perhaps from successful hunts past, I don't know. Anybody know what Winchester rifles were chambered for this cartridge?

Model 86 Winchester.

Thanks JD.  I will have to find the old black and white pics.  It did look like that model if I remember.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't lend tools or guns.  Most people, be they friends or not, have lost the old time value of "you break it you bought it"  I have friends that have used my "toys" while I am with them and not offered to pay for what they have broken.  They do not get to use my toys any more, but they are still "friends".  Never loan a firearm due to the liability.

I am surprised the SOB POS did not sue you for smacking him.  You could press charges for "attempted robbery???" if he does.  If he shows his face again don't hit him that is battery.  Tell him he is a lying POS that cannot be trusted and to never come around again.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Have only lent out 2 guns & only one never came back.  A female friend lived in a questionable neighborhood so I loaned her a H&R 12g single shot I had bought at a police auction for $50.  Luckily she never had to use it but she did get burglarized while at work & the shotgun was among the things swiped.  The 2nd gun I loaned out was in no danger because it was lent as a temp replacement while I fixed a friends only home protection gun (new firing pin, hand & spring+ a general clean up & cold reblue).
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't yet loaned out a firearm, buy YES, I would....to one of 5 individuals I know. 2 are back in Missouri and 3 are here in Arizona. All meet the following qualifications:
1) They still, like I, believe in the "If you break it, lose it, or have it stolen, you replace it" rule
2) They are PROVEN, reliable friends
3) They are gainfully employed
Hell, I have two friends I hunt with that occasionally bring an extra quad for me to use when we hunt-they're worth far more ($5000K+) than any firearm I own. In fact, today I'm borrowing a quad trailer from one of my neighbor/hunting buddies to haul some medical equipment. He gave it to me NO QUESTIONS ASKED. All he said was, "You know the rules, right?". This same individual offered me his pre-'65 Winchester 70 7MM to use for last year's deer season. I declined, choosing to let my GF use my .270 while I humped the .50 frontstuffer. If this same person, or any of the others specified, asked to borrow ANY of my weapons I'd let them. There is still some TRUST left in the world. (And, hopefully, my good judgement)
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't lend anything out to friends, it strains a relationship. If someone wants to use something I have I go with them and help out, ie. woodsplitter, chainsaw, dump truck, etc.
One thing my Grandad always told me on another topic. "You can't give someone something that doesn't belong to you". I have friends who would loan my stuff out to others while "they" had it. IMO.

Another friend says "borrowing and lending only makes one obligated to the other". Bad Medicine he says.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll only "lend" at the range. I've "lent" my new LR Barnard action to a gentleman. He shot 5 of my rounds. I've "lent" an AR15 at the range. NEVER would I let one of my guns out of my sight. You can shoot my guns but only with my ammo. Okay maybe to my wife. But that's only so I can shoot some of her guns.
Gerry
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Sure, loan someone your gun so they can go KILL somebody and during the police investigation they discover the murder weapon is yours.

Do you think the cops will believe you lent it to someone.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#15]
... [third person]NOT FOUND IN VOCABULARY[/third person]
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Two years ago I got a call from my Mother's old neighbor - a retired WWII Marine Gunnery Sergeant. He wanted me to take him out and help him buy a .45 for protection. Sadly, he prematurely gave his original WWII 1911 to his nephew who lives a thousand miles away. Since he's always been a great neighbor and very nice to me ever since I was a little kid, I gave him my S&W 5906 and told him he could borrow it until he thought he was through with it. Helping him out like this made me feel good and he really appreciated it. I'm not worried at all when or if get it back.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#17]
A good bud, named William Shakesbeer once said,
A loan to a friend both loses itself and the friend.

or
Never lend, give.

You'll keep your sanity longer.

Link Posted: 9/25/2002 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't know. Would you loan out your wife and risk someone slipping a bum round in the chamber. I think not.

Whats more loaning a gun can get you in a lot more trouble.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I MIGHT loan a gun to my brother if he loaned me one of his.

I MIGHT loan a gun to my next door neighbor, but he's a DEA agent and has plenty of toys.

I would NEVER loan my carry guns.  (Doesn't everyone carry two?)
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#20]
NO ,i will not loan them out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I let a buddy borrow an SKS because it was the only extra centerfire suitable for deer that I owned and he bitched about it because it wasn't nice enough. " If you have a gun to loan, you have one to sell"
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Sorry, never a borrower nor a lender be.

You'll not get my tools, my guns, my dog, or my wife and I'll not ask to borrow yours.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Outside the family,  HELL NO
Inside the family  yes, except to my mom.
I lent her my savage 99 a few years ago for deer season and it came back with scratches on the stock and the top of the scope was smashed down flat. She didn't clean it either. It looked like she used it for a walking stick in the mud.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I would lend to two of my 4 brother-in-laws, my father-in-law, or my boss. I do loan one of my pistols or shotguns to my step-son to take to the range sometimes. That's it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#25]
MY RIGHT HAND WOULD LOAN IT TO MY LEFT
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 11:24:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I let other friends shoot my guns at the range, but with MY reloads... apart from that, sorry, I will not lend any guns to anybody without me being physically there, and with my supervision.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 11:49:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I learned my lesson when I lent my Ruger MKII .22 to a good friend of mine, with whom I'm still friends.

He returned it to me, but it had scratches around the takedown latch on the back of the grip, like he took a screwdriver to the metal.

Never lent my weapons since then, and never will in the future.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 4:36:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Ask yourself this: would you loan your wife or girlfriend out? Didn't think so. Don't loan your guns either.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 5:31:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Sounds like you guys need some new friends.  I only have a few FRIENDS, and I'd loan any of them anything I own.  I have many ACQUAINTANCES, and I wouldn't loan them a gun.  You have to know the difference.

And if you don't have any FRIENDS, defined as guys you'd trust to warm your suffering-from-hypothermia wife up naked in a sleeping bag without sticking their dick into her, then I feel sorry for you.

QS
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm with quiet.  I know lots of people that I would not loan a gun to, but I would loan a gun to my 'friends'.  If I cannot trust someone to do the right thing, I don't consider them a
'friend', they are an aquaintance.  I have loaned guns to friends, and even given them guns.  No big deal.  Always gotten back the loaners...

Link Posted: 9/26/2002 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#31]
NO.............HELL NO!!!!.............NO WAY IN HELL.......could lead to serious legal problem if the cap someone by accident or on purpose....NO
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Sure I loan out guns to my friends without a second thought.

I'm with Aimless.  I'm VERY selective in my friends.  I have four good friends (two of them in the U.S.), and I would lend any of them anything I own.  Heck, if they really needed it, I would GIVE them anything I own.

Anyone who's not a friend of mine, however - they can buy their own #@!&ing guns!  

(I will let people shoot my guns at the range of course, w. my ammo)
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Theirs only two people I will loan a gun to one is my brother and the other is one of my cousins. They both will take good care of them and one of them has my gun safe at his house.

When I was 17 my mom gave my dad's S&W model 10-5 to her friend Joe to hold on too it so her fucking drunk asshole wannabe cowboy boyfriend wouldn't steal it. I wanted her to take it to my cousin.

After having it for a week Joe says someone broke in a stole it. Then he wants my mom to sign a piece of paper saying she sold it to him for $250 and he'll give her $250. So she did and it's 13yrs later and the fucker still hasn't given the money. The thing I found most interesting was that the gun was stolen but they left the case. IMO he is the one that stole it.

This why I don't Loan guns to anyone other than my brother and cousin. The reason this gun was so important to me is that. My Dad had passed away 6 months earlier and he had carried it while he was helicopter mechanic in Vietnam. Also it was the first handgun I'd ever shot.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Loan a firearm out to a friend in need? Yes, without a doubt, I would loan a shotgun for home defense. Loan out my AR for a fun day at the range (without me) I don't think so. In my opinion the friend who needs a firearm would fall into two categories. 1) Familiar with guns, and 2) Unfamiliar with guns. If #1 WTF don't you own a gun already? You can get a shotgun from a pawn shop for $100, no reason not to. If #2 I would not feel comfortable giving you a handgun (too dangerous if you don't know guns) high velocity rifles are out, so here is my shotgun

Link Posted: 9/27/2002 5:49:19 AM EDT
[#36]
There are a few people I would loan a gun to.  I agree with Aimless, DKprof, and Quietshooter.

Where do you guys dig up your POS friends?

I've loaned my car to friends, and consider that to be a bigger risk than a gun.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 5:59:04 AM EDT
[#37]
After years of experience, The LENDING shop is closed. Too many B.S. situations. I am EXTRA responsable when I borrow somthing. Most people have the"it's not mine attitude" when useing someone elses Toys, Tools, Ect. RIFLE: You and I don't want it back with scratches and dings and the "I'm Sorry" FOGETABOUTIT!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top