Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2002 4:57:42 AM EDT
I have a Mak 90 with the UGLY thumb hole stock.  It is registered and I was wondering if it is legal to swap the stock set to the normal NON thumb hole style now.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Now there's a good question.  I think that everyones' gut reactions would be no.  But, it's registered and BS23 compliant.  I'm not aware of any CA law that would disallow this type of change.  (Perhaps our other CA members may know of one; dunno.)

Just make sure you follow the federal law.  If you want to stick on a pistol grip and stock, you need to have the right number of US parts.  You'll need to buy a special USA conversion kit; you can't just buy any foreign imported stock set and slap 'em on.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually since the MAK90 falls under the AK series of weapons..it falls under purview of the Roberti-Roos Act. In which case under STATE Law this is considered to be a "Pre-Ban" weapon, but under FEDERAL Law it is still considered to be "POST-Ban".

So while it wouldn't violate STATE Law (assuming it has been REGISTERED) it would violate FEDERAL law UNLESS you add enough AMERICAN made parts to it to be defined by the BATF as an AMERICAN made weapon. This is probably the only type of case where you CAN still add a pistol grip to this type of rifle in California.

Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top