Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2003 9:31:10 PM EDT
Is there the equivalent of a Lee Loader for .50 BMG?  (Already called Lee doesn't have it)  

Is this even technically possible?  I don't see why it wouldn't be.

I don't have a BMG gun yet, just scoping out the possibilities.  I doubt I would fire too many rounds a year, but I figured I'd save a little reloading, but when you need special EVERYTHING to reload the BMG, it might take a real long time to make up the difference.  

Figure a Lee Loader type thing would be the way to go.  How much could it be, its only resizing the neck?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think Lee makes a .50 press, haven't heard of it. RCBS, Hornady, Corbin and Hollywood Eng. all make one.

The problem with smaller presses is they're not big enough or have a large enough throw to handle the length of the .50 case.

What are you going to do when you want to F/L size some brass?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:59:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I was only going to get a relatively "cheap" gun.  I for sure wasn't going to spend the money to get any kind of a competition model.  

I figure even an "inaccurate" .50 is still pretty freaking accurate since it drops effectively zero for the first 300 or so yards.  Heck the biggest range by me is 100 yards anyway.  :(

I would only buy military surplus, hope to get maybe 5-8 reloads out of it by neck sizing, and I'd be happy.  

I know I've neck sized .308, and there was minimal stretching until like the 8th reload.  Never split even in the neck.  These weren't max power loads, but they were normal. At which point I put the brass in my FAL pile.  Full case resized maybe 3-5 more times (using slightly lower power loads) watching for neck splitting then tossed the brass.  

With the .50 one I can't close the breech, that round goes.  I aint going to fool with it.  Not with that much smokeless in front of the primer.

But I guess the the equivalent doesn't exist in .50 anyway.  I've asked on a couple other boards and not ones responded, except you.  

Shame really, the most accurate rounds I ever fired out of my Stiker were loaded using my father-in-laws Lee loader.  I think Lee's add lines about fire sizing the brass is true.  It makes for custom rounds that are perfect for your gun.

I doubt I'd get more than 100 rounds in a year.  The expense of getting the special press, and special everything... makes for a long time before I get a return on my initial investment over surplus ammo.

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:53:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Using the brass that has been fire formed to your chamber will get you better accuracy results and you'll only need to neck size.

Although I have heard the guys that compete and use boreriders say that they F/L size their (.50) brass for better results.

If you load using only surplus stuff it will save you alot of money in the long run. 5010 powder is $28 for 8 lbs., brass can be found for .16 cents, projo's for around .20 cents and primers (CCI) bought in bulk about .17 cents.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#4]
a pot metal .50 press. are you crazy?

get a RCBS single stage ammo master press
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#5]
.50 Shooter,

But do you only neck size?  I mean, maybe I'm wrong here, (I always have to look at the manual before I reload to get the steps right.  Don't trust my memory for things that go boom)

But when you decap the primer, doesn't the Die also resize the shell?  So you don't get the option of only a neck size?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends on the die, Some neck sizing dies are set up to deprime at the same time. Some F/L dies can be adjusted to just do neck sizing, thus you'll still have your depriming pin still in place.

You'll still need to F/L size the brass at some point. It's still going to expand, when it feels tight when you chamber it, you might want to F/L size. Another way to extend the life of your brass is to anneal it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I doubt I'd get more than 100 rounds in a year.  The expense of getting the special press, and special everything... makes for a long time before I get a return on my initial investment over surplus ammo.

This is why I intend shooting plenty of reloadable surplus to get a brass collection going for the day when the ammo is banned. then I will look into reloading
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:12:37 PM EDT
[#8]
There is some Very Good advise...

From some Very Good People in this thread.

You know who you are...

MM419
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top