Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2010 9:11:37 PM EDT
When loading for pistol rounds, for the last few years I have always seated and crimped the rounds in two separate steps.   When seating pistol bullets, i'll set the seater stem of the seating die really deep and screw the die body in to adjust the seating depth.  This has always worked fine making pistol rounds.

I was making up some .223 ammo today and had several rounds (using the above method for adjusting the die) that were off canter when seated.   Basically ruined the brass.  

Then, on a brainstorm, I set up the seating die body almost to the point where it would crimp the case, and screwed the seating stem only as deep as needed to seat the bullet.  What I was hoping this would accomplish is the seater die body would support the case and help align the bullet as the bullet was being seated.   Like magic, this adjustment made my off-canter problem go away..

After 25 years of reloading, I learned something today.  

Just wanted to share.    

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#1]
So you're saying you read the die instructions?

No ........ wait ............................ ummm ............. I'm so confused.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:25:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

No ........ wait ............................ ummm ............. I'm so confused.

Sounds about right.   In another 15-20 years I'll probably get bored and....

flip through the unopened manual.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have ADD to the max, but luckily I'm pretty mechanically inclined.  As a result, I can usually figure stuff out quicker than I can read and retain any type of instructions.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have ADD to the max, but luckily I'm pretty mechanically inclined.  As a result, I can usually figure stuff out quicker than I can read and retain any type of instructions.

Especially with the way some instructions are written.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#5]
How long have you had all those shop and garden power tools that won't work, and are you the kinda guy that leaves negative ratings on item reviews?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top