Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2014 5:55:09 PM EDT
Anyone running one on an SBR? 5.56 SBRs love to beat things to death at time so just wondering if anyone has experience with them, preferably with a gen 3.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:25:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have the law folding adaptor, but personally it looks like an extra part to break. Also it'll take a tool just to take your upper off since there's the little "plunger" that stays connected to the upper, and the buffer is retained in the stock. Also you can't fire it in the folded position. They say you can get 1 round off but it may cause harm to the system.

I think if you want a side folding sbr maybe you should look into something with a gas piston system that doesn't require a buffer tube. Like a sig556 or a ak47 pap or krink clone.

I went the 556 route since I can fire it folded or unfolded.

My side folding sig next to my noveske, both 10.5 inchers

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have the law folding adaptor, but personally it looks like an extra part to break. Also it'll take a tool just to take your upper off since there's the little "plunger" that stays connected to the upper, and the buffer is retained in the stock. Also you can't fire it in the folded position. They say you can get 1 round off but it may cause harm to the system.

I think if you want a side folding sbr maybe you should look into something with a gas piston system that doesn't require a buffer tube. Like a sig556 or a ak47 pap or krink clone.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/disgookonfiya/CIMG0325.jpg
View Quote

I have no idea why the issue of firing while folded is such a huge deal on the reviews for this product. The design of the AR requires a buffer inline with the bolt (exceptions such as yours yes), how would any product that folds the buffer assembly/tube not result in an inability to fire the weapon without eating the bolt?  It really reduces the credibility of the reviewers IMHO

I understand the risk of additional parts which is the primary reason I'm trying to get some real world feedback.  It's hard to find a messenger style bag for a 25" long SBR/pistol but the options open up a lot when you only need 19" so risk/benefit(?).
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess they factor in all variables. Though I agree for a range toy it's not necessary. If you were ever in a situation where you had to retrieve your rifle in a small space (ie car) and seconds factor in. Than it can very well be a factor. I get around that by having a 556
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have no idea why the issue of firing while folded is such a huge deal on the reviews for this product. The design of the AR requires a buffer inline with the bolt (exceptions such as yours yes), how would any product that folds the buffer assembly/tube not result in an inability to fire the weapon without eating the bolt?  It really reduces the credibility of the reviewers IMHO

I understand the risk of additional parts which is the primary reason I'm trying to get some real world feedback.  It's hard to find a messenger style bag for a 25" long SBR/pistol but the options open up a lot when you only need 19" so risk/benefit(?).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/disgookonfiya/CIMG0325.jpg

We got a few of the Gen2s to test out, and apparently the Gen3 addresses my main complaints: revised hinge that doesn't require an enhanced/larger charging handle latch, and a revised spacer/plunger that doesn't require a tool to remove from the bolt carrier.

I think they are cool, and it literally takes one or two seconds (or thereabouts) to unfold it and charge it. The only two reasons one would buy it are: 1) it's cool, and 2) you need it to store in a very small space, have covert needs (in a backpack, small trunk, etc...). It adds a couple inches to the length of pull and a few ounces. It was never designed to be able to fire when folded, and I would never fold it with a round in the chamber for just that reason. I think they are cool, but not $200 cool, unless $200 is pocket change to you and/or you absolutely need to store your AR in a ~22" space.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top