Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2002 2:45:55 AM EDT
For us it was yesterday. We (3 of us) took out four ARs at about 9 AM. It was 10 degrees F and blowing snow. We stayed out until 1 PM and expended 900 rounds of ammo. The snow finally let up and it warmed to 17 degrees F. Our hands would stick to the mags early in the day. Snow swirls funny in front of the muzzle, I wish we could have gotten a picture of that. We shot at an iron plate at 185 yards and bowling pins at other distances. The ARs were a Colt 6700 Flat top, A Bushmaster V Match Carbine (both scoped),   a preban Colt H-Bar, and a preban carbine R6420. Lots of fun!
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:01:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Days like that are great!

It's been cold down here in Carolina (40-50 degrees) so a lot of people have been indoors!

I remember when I lived in Iowa we'd head out to the range on days like you described.  There's nothing quite as fun as putting a case of ammo downrange on a frigid day and then coming home to a cleaning session and lots of HOT coffee.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:04:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Roger that, Schnert. We had a nice fire in the living room with the doors open on the stove. (I have five wood stoves in the house). Spent the whole evening warming up. The coffee? French Roast.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:20:52 AM EDT
[#3]
it was rather chilly here in the desert in Arizona yestdy also, i didn't quite freeze my fingers but that wind at 78 degrees just cuts thru ya...........
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:23:25 AM EDT
[#4]
ARgon,

Out in Iowa we spent a lot of time on the prairie freezing our butts off as we hunted coyotes.  One time I brought an AR that had been in the safe far too long.  When we called in the 'yote I aimed and sqeezed the trigger.  CLICK.  Huh?  Like an idiot I didn't clean the oil from the bolt carrier and lube my weapon with graphite, as was the required practice.  The oil had become so sticky that the firing pin just wasn't going home.  I learned my lesson that day.

My buddy then dropped the dog and spent the rest of the day laughing at me.

Oh well, live and learn.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:27:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Schnert, had a similar experience with a Rem 700. I had been hunting all morning and came in at lunch. (November Deer Season). I went back out for the late afternoon, pulled up on a spike horn and click. The firing pin was frozen from the condensation the rifle picked up at lunch. Oh well, the spike might be a six pointer by now!
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 8:06:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Living in Minnesota, I get that weather all the time.  I find my problem is I buy most of my new toys during the winter, so I spend a lot of time in the snow shooting!

The last time I had an AR out was Saturday.  It was a lovely day in the low 50's (it has been a pretty mild winter here).  I fired a grand total of 25 rounds, and then I injured my bad knee stepping down to the target pit (it is dug into a hill).  I plan on going back out this Saturday, but the temp will be in the low teens rather then the low 50's.  Stupid knee.

Brad
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 9:18:44 AM EDT
[#7]
"one time at band camp....."

ah, hell it is a beautiful day...i'm going to grab lunch now and head up to the range. ETA (estimated time 'til AR-15) 30 minutes.

Link Posted: 3/1/2002 9:21:28 AM EDT
[#8]
its been about 1 month maybe 2.  some one order me to get my ass out and shoot!
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#9]
2 weeks ago, the usual 120 rounds of 223 and 100 rounds of .45acp. i try to go at least twice a month.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 9:33:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Brad76,  It was warm here last weekend as well. I should have gone out then, but no I had to wait for a cold day. I just got back in from behind the barn shooting. I have a short 50 yard range there. It has warmed back up to mid 20's and feels good. I played a little more with the SP, I've only had this one about a week.

Citabria7GCBC, you are hereby order to raise that ass up and shoot. We own for that not just to decorate, right?
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Been almost a month since I last shot my AR.  Going tomorrow though!
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Put about 100 rnds of SA surplus down range this morn, sighting in a red dot on the A2.

Would have done more, but it was about 30 deg and starting to spit sleet.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm going tomorrow.

Anybody wanna go???
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Shot a coyote wed. with my Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Are we the only guys shooting their ARs. Come on guys, fess up. Talk about the good times!
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#16]
The last time I fired an AR was last August.  It's just not worth the hassle at the local range to shoot it.  There's a LEO watching the range every single minute it's open.  That's too bad, because the range is less than a mile from me, and it wasn't too bad of a walk.z
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'm going tomorrow.

Anybody wanna go???

Heck i would go, but i am in prescott.:(
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#18]
It's been a mild Winter here in Northern Wisconsin, too....but the last time I was out shooting was in December.  Guess, at age 53, I just can't "take the cold" any more!  I typically do a lot of reloading during the Winter months....30.06, .30 Carbine, .223, etc.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I shoot my AR about twice a month.
All of its been plinking.
I'm almost out of ammo, I was going to get some from sportmans guide, but I didn't realize how much shipping was!!
I still haven't sighted my AR in yet!!!
Does anyone have any idea's on how I can get this done. I haven't been able to lay prone cause its always F'in raining here during this time. Beautiful today, wish I had day off, I'd be shootng.

Anyone have any good recommendation on a Vise or clamp system to lock my gun in so I can sight it in? Any info would be great.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#20]
PaulLaVanway, I'm the same age and blew out a knee last year skiing. It's better and the cold here is here for ever. Last year we had snow from Oct to the last week of April. Read that as on the ground. Snowing hard now, but the AR is clean from my lunch outing, and the coffee is hot, as is the wood stove.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I Went to the pistol range for lunch on Wed. Shot my AR and others last weekend. I have to make a trek to Oklahoma once a month to family owned land. I don't have any shooting budies here with land to shoot with.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm going to the gun shop tonight to pick up a few SA battle packs, hope to get out on S
unday.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 2:48:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Last Sunday it was 61 degrees and calm. Sunny as could be. Got to make sure the M4gery was still sighted in, it was

Got to shoot the H&K USP40C, realized I needed to shoot it more often.

Ended up spending about 3 hours shootin the shit and shooting the rifle. A good day!

-elliott
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I snuck off last Sunday, the last above-freezing day we're going to see in these parts in a while!  Couldn't get free until mid-afternoon and I had early-evening obligations, though.  With those restrictions I grabbed up the DSA G1 FAL kit I've been tinkering on for a few weeks (just torqued the barrel) but left the other goodies home.

Turns out I have to replace the gas tube (no biggie) on the FAL, only got to fire 4 rounds.  Should of brought my Bushies.  But, I did run into an old collector friend of mine who was using the beautiful day to sight in about half a dozen Springfield '03s.  Took what little time I had left and got to shoot a few of those fine relics!  Got to get an '03A3 someday...
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Two weeks ago for me.  Shot about 50 rounds using my Holosight.  That sight is so good!  Changed over to a 4x12 scope I had just purchased.  Had a hard time hitting target at 50 yards.  Cheap mount problem.  Next week I will be going again and will be using the sintered bullets I bought.  I will report back on how these odd ducks shoot.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Last weekend for me.  Beautiful day in Houston.  Would be going tomorow also but supposed to rain.  Guess I will just have to go to the show over in Pasa-getdown-dena.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#27]
27 February 2002.  600 rd's.

all black..
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I popped off two 30 round mags 5 hours ago. I left work early, came home to find that the Big Brown Truck brought me a case of 55gr Wolf ammo to try out. It was a cool sunny day here in the northeast, good day to shoot. I have my own pistol/rifle range, so I brought out the targets, rifle rest and earmuffs, and finally got my CAR I built last week battlesight zeroed for the Wolfy stuff. The ammo is more accurate than the Winchester white box stuff I was using, fully reliable, but it is more sooty than anything I ever shot.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I went out and shot my Bushy then came in, and shot my load in her bushy!
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:10:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Just a couple of hours ago 430pm EST to be exact. 150 rounds and had the indexing fixed also. What a Great Day. hardly had to move the site from the center mark.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Last weekend.  Two AR's, one's a Bushmaster lower and Colt SP1 (postband modified) upper, and the other's an HBAR bushmaster upper made on my homemade receiver I cut from a raw forging. Both 20 inchers, both have A2 furniture, both have A1 uppers.  The HBAR one has the forward assist and case deflector, while the Colt upper has neither.

Also brought a sweet shooting Marlin Golden 39A .22LR lever action (Sucker shoots ONE hole with good ammo at 50 yards, and nearly that good at 100) and four handguns.   I took my brother and his twin 12 year old boys with me.  We blew through 900 rounds, roughly.   It was the kid's first shooting event with AR's, .22LR's, .380's, (Walther PPK), 9mm (S&W 659), .38 (S&W Chief's Special) and .45 (m1911)  All they'd shot before was a Glock .40.

It's nice to bring good kids into the hobby!
They were real handy in picking up all that reloadable brass, too!

A great time was had by one and all.  Of course!

A Kodak moment:  Each kid walking back to the car wearing a camo jacket (Desert Storm camo on one and woodland camo on the other) with an AR-15 slung over each one's back.  I wish I'd had a camera!

CJ
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 2:44:27 AM EDT
[#32]
cmjohnson, I wish you had a camera also. I have a picture of my son taken 22 years ago much like that. He carries his own uncle's (sam) AR now as  a SSgt. The times shooting are the most important. Talking about the firearms is fun, but takes a far second from using them!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top