Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2003 11:20:47 AM EDT
I posted THIS at battlerifles.com. Avoid this stuff like the plague.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it PMC?
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Is it PMC?

I don't think so. The headstamp reads "K...A...7...3". It comes in the clips, and is in bandoliers.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 2:31:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I wonder about the mentality of spending $500.00 to $3,500.00 on a rifle, then refusing to spend more than $0.10/round to feed it.

Several years ago I witnessed a catastrophic failure of a near mint original M1-D due to some mil-surplus of vague origin and vintage  --but yeha, it was only 7 cents a round.

There is a lot of LC out there for plinking, most of it less than 15 years old.  When I get serious, I also go Federal Gold Medal or my brother's hand load match (price is about the same).
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 9:08:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I have some surplus .30-06 that was sealed in a can on links. it's not korean but I think it is corrosive as I found some minor rust after shooting it. I'm going to stick to new production ammo for now on
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 9:11:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There is a lot of LC out there for plinking, most of it less than 15 years old.  When I get serious, I also go Federal Gold Medal or my brother's hand load match (price is about the same).

I haven't seen any LC and I thought I looked pretty hard. Can you post a source or two for it?

Thanks...
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 4:59:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I have not purchased ammo off the internet.  The last ammo I purchased in .308 was about 3 months ago at the gun show here.  I picked up 2 cans of linked LC 91 and one can of linked .223 LC 97 (can marked UAE -- very interesting - was told it was from a contract overrun) and a can of 20 round cartons of .233 LC 89.  At that time I also picked up a couple of boxes of Georgia Arms BTHP which has been comparable to the Federal Gold Medal.  My local store had linked and loose LC 70's vintage as of last month in isreali marked cans.

http://billstclair.com/ammo.html seems to be a pretty comprehensive list of sellers, including Georgia.  One dealer lists US and Isreali .308 in inventory, another has the Austrailian in clips and bandoleers and cans.  

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot brit, austrian, austrailian, isreali, but I wouldn't feed anything from South/Central America, former eastern block, African or Mid-eastern countries (turkey, pakistan etc).
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#7]
So it's corrosive ammo, so what?

I really want to know who buys surplus military ammo and does not treat it as corrosive?

Cleaning up after shooting corrosive ammo is not difficult, run some Windex down the bore at the range, and spray some on your bolt face. Once you get home, clean like normal.

Av.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 7:49:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I've shot some Korean stuff, and it's been fine for me.  The cases are easy to reload.  Apparently there is no primer crimp, so priming is easier.  It's not as accurate as LC ball, so I'd only use it as blasting ammo, then keep the cases for reloads.  

I'm sure that you could probably get some that has some corrosion... I think Korea is a pretty humid place, and I bet some moister was in the air in the plant, and was sealed into the cartridge.  Thanks for the heads up on it, tho!

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So it's corrosive ammo, so what?

Av.

It's not the fact that it's corrosive. It's the fact that I pulled about 100 rounds, and about 40% of the bullets showed obvious signs of corrosion at the base, and the powder smelled terribly acrid. The stuff was stored incorrectly, and is just plain bad. I don't know if would be dangerous to shoot, so I'm just letting everybody know what I've found.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top