Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2005 7:11:03 PM EDT
I have a TC Hawken .50 percussion, but here in Texas we don't have a muzzleloader only season so there's no real advantage to using one.
I have thought off and on about selling or trading it. Anyone have a good reason for keeping it? It is kinda fun but that's about all it is good for, for me.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:17:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know exactly where in TX you are but their was a short muzzleloader only season last year in Angelina Co.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Fort Worth and can hunt in Wise and Parker counties.
I ought to just trade it for an AR upper or something.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Used BP rifles don't command a premium so its probably not worth much for a trade in and you will miss it eventually.  Use it as a wall hanger or stash it away.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Heck, still hunt with it.  There were several years when I would only hunt game with traditional muzzle loaders.  Nothing like it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:55:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I love my Hawken
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#6]
It is fun. If I don't find something I really want I'll just play with it. It's fun to make that much smoke.
I only thought of offering it since it is the rifle I can do without the easiest.
If I do keep it I will be changing the walnut stock for one in maple. I saw one that looked really good. It really changed the looks of that Hawken.
Of course if I do trade it I'll want one right after, and at about $500.00 new I won't be able to buy another soon. I paid 100.00 for this one. It had been fored about 15 times, cleaned and lubed and put in a safe, so it's almost new.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#7]
There aren't any blackpowder season in Texas, but there are black powder only hunts. I won a drawing for a black powder only hunt at Pedernales Falls a few years back. I had to wade across the Pedernales river and then stayed in  a  cabin on few hundred acres of park land virtually inaccessable to the rest of the park. Three of us could hunt black powder only for three days anywhere on the acreage It was a kick. There are many other black powder only hunts... Good shootin'...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top