Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2010 8:17:52 PM EDT
I ordered a couple of these clips to go with the sheaths.
They arrived today in little plastic bags. The clips have a funky black coating on them that rubs off on everything. I scrubbed them in soapy water and dish detergent, and got most of the black stuff off. They are now a gray color similar in appearance to parkerizing, but if you rub them with a paper towel, the paper towel comes away with black sooty residue on it, even after 10 minutes or so of scrubbing with a nylon bristle brush.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Any ideas what this coating could be? It doesn't appear to be paint or epoxy coating like the blades have. I just want to get them clean so they won't get this gunk all over my belt and pants.
Any ideas besides straight-up naval jelly to remove the residue and get them clean?

Link Posted: 2/14/2010 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Got a pic ? I'm not sure what clips your talking about. I use Tec-Locs from Blade Tech for my sheath needs.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Got a pic ? I'm not sure what clips your talking about. I use Tec-Locs from Blade Tech for my sheath needs.

Sorry, I don't have any "before' pics that show what they look like before all the scrubbing.

What's crazy is that as dry as that clip looks in the picture, if I take a damp paper towel and rub it, it will come away with black sooty residue on the paper towel.

I just can't trust these clips not to screw up my clothes.

Link Posted: 2/14/2010 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#3]
when I ordered my tdi I bought an extra belt clip not realizing that the tdi sheath came with the same clip.  i just checked the spare one and it is just like yours, oily with residue

the one that came attached to the tdi sheath isn't like that though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess the only suggestion I would have is try some solvent to clean them up.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 3:06:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Just got a TDI today in the mail. Yes, the attached clip was coated with what seems like a rust inhibitor/oil. I just rubbed mine with a paper towel to get the worst off. It seems fine now.
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 6:55:04 AM EDT
[#6]
How are you trying to carry it?  I carry mine horizontal on the back of my belt everyday.  I just ran some 550 through the existing holes to make belt loops.  Works great, it was cheap and it holds a lower profile than the clip would I imagine.

I would either strip or paint the clip if I was intending to use it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

How are you trying to carry it?  I carry mine horizontal on the back of my belt everyday.  I just ran some 550 through the existing holes to make belt loops.  Works great, it was cheap and it holds a lower profile than the clip would I imagine.

I would either strip or paint the clip if I was intending to use it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I was planning to mount the clip on the outside of the sheath to allow me to carry it IWB.

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top