Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2011 8:02:57 AM EDT
I've got some cash saved up, but I'll be selling some toys to fully fund a KRISS depending partially on what you guys say.  I've done some searching online and haven't found anything to turn me off yet.  I know that I need to/should buy the updated version.

If you have one, please post your round count and any FTF's and FTE's etc.  Also, would you go back and make the purchase again?  What don't you like about it?

If you decided not to buy one, what was your reason(s) other than the price?

I've looked at other .45acp carbines and none of them appeal to me whatsoever.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 8:16:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I dont own a KRISS, so I cant attest from that standpoint.  But, I was in your shoes not too long ago.  

I almost pulled the trigger on the KRISS, but waited because of a few bad reviews that I read.  I ended up going with a USC/UMP after firing my buddy's issued one.

I haven't looked back and I am now glad that I didnt go with the KRISS.  I have fired a KRISS side-by-side with my UMP after another buddy bought a KRISS.  It has that cool factor, but it wasn't for me.

The UMP is a little more $$, especially after I SBR'd it, but I think it was well worth the extra coin.  I dont know if you have considered HK or not, but they may be worth a look.  

Not trying to talk you out of the KRISS, just offering my experience when I was trying to choose a .45ACP carbine.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input coregon.

Nobody wants to brag on their Kriss' superior performance and utter reliability?
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I own  a June  2009 model kriss & Like a lot of other Kriss owners , I had to send it back to the factory for refit (lots of FTF) hell it wouldn't even chamber correctly most of the time. man I was sick ,
since I've gotten it back  , it hasn't had  any  failures at all ,I've fed it  prob close to 1000 rnds  of various  types ammo , haven't  put any  reloads through it though
I'm a satisfied owner , I do wish it was sbr though
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I own  a June  2009 model kriss & Like a lot of other Kriss owners , I had to send it back to the factory for refit (lots of FTF) hell it wouldn't even chamber correctly most of the time. man I was sick ,
since I've gotten it back  , it hasn't had  any  failures at all ,I've fed it  prob close to 1000 rnds  of various  types ammo , haven't  put any  reloads through it though
I'm a satisfied owner , I do wish it was sbr though

From my understanding, their guns made in or after 2010 don't have those problems.  Anybody with first-hand knowledge confirm this?
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I got my Kriss back in Sept 2009. I drove 300+ miles into  OH because no one had it in PA. I love the Kriss. I only had some jams recently because I ran it dirty and didn't clean it since my last shoot in Nov. I have used professional reloads from master cast and no problems.

I wish it was SBR too. But after moving to NY I'm glad I didn't. Otherwise it would be illegal.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my kriss but here are issues you need to know when going into it.

1. Don't ever load a full mag on a closed bolt. Huge pain in the ass. Easier to just open and lock the bolt back and the insert fresh mag.
2. You cannot extract a live round or FTF with out dumping the round out. I prefer to say F this and drop the mag first then open the bolt to extract live round.

Other than that the KRISS runs like a champ.

If you live in a state that allows SBR, don't think and just buy one direct from KRISS USA and file the paper work.

If you live in NY state you should find some preban  glock 21 mags so you can legally have the KRISS extension.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Picking up my updated kriss SBR from my class 3 dealer tomorrow, i'll let you know how it goes
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 10:07:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had the opportunity to fire a post-sample one and really enjoyed it.

HOWEVER.  I don't see the point of their recoil reduction system outside of full-auto / burst.  Since it's impossible for normal folks to own a post-sample KRISS, I'd skip it.  

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 3:55:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Picking up my updated kriss SBR from my class 3 dealer tomorrow, i'll let you know how it goes

Please do.  Do you know the date of manufacture?
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Went to go pick it up today, but it wasn't there.  Had an osprey, sparrow, and the kriss all get approved at the same time, but the kriss is the only stamp that didn't make it.... The ATF works in mysterious ways...
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Went to go pick it up today, but it wasn't there.  Had an osprey, sparrow, and the kriss all get approved at the same time, but the kriss is the only stamp that didn't make it.... The ATF works in mysterious ways...

Bastards
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 3:01:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've got some cash saved up, but I'll be selling some toys to fully fund a KRISS depending partially on what you guys say.  I've done some searching online and haven't found anything to turn me off yet.  I know that I need to/should buy the updated version.

If you have one, please post your round count and any FTF's and FTE's etc.  Also, would you go back and make the purchase again?  What don't you like about it?

If you decided not to buy one, what was your reason(s) other than the price?

I've looked at other .45acp carbines and none of them appeal to me whatsoever.

Have you ever looked at a Gas operated AR45? Like the one Ron Williams builds? The DI system cuts back recoil just as much as the Kriss system if not more.
It is already a platform you should be familiar with and it could save you money to boot. You can also repair/replace parts yourself. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I've looked at them, but I haven't done any research.  I'm going to look into the JR Carbine in .45, as well.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've looked at them, but I haven't done any research.  I'm going to look into the JR Carbine in .45, as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7MvjE7lFmg
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I think the DI45 has just jumped to the top of the list.  I'll be doing plenty more research on them because everytime I've gotten excited about a certain firearm I find problems that are inexcusable for such expensive pieces.
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 2:27:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm waiting on my paper work to get back on my Kriss SBR then she is all mine.

45acp is going to cost me but its going to be a blast
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 5:01:47 AM EDT
[#16]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElrPPcnp2tU&feature=colike

this video will explain the updates, if the counter weight doesn't have the green plastic plug in the bottom of it, it doesn't have the updates
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 6:31:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm ordering an AR45 lower from CNCguns, haven't decided who to get my upper from yet
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 10:40:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm ordering an AR45 lower from CNCguns, haven't decided who to get my upper from yet

DI or blowback?
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

DI or blowback?

DI
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#20]
My friend bought a KRISS carbine earlier this year. He's let me shoot it and I really like it. Low recoil, accurate. One of the extended mags has given him trouble, but the rest run fine. I actually wanted to buy the pistol version, but decided it was too much $$$.
I'm sure he would buy the gun again.
Because of cost, if I decide to buy a 45acp carbine, I'd go for the new JR carbine that takes 1911 mags or a Thompson lightweight model.
If I ever have enough funds, sure, I'd buy the pistol version of the KRISS.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 2:24:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Just get the SBR and be done
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 4:59:18 AM EDT
[#22]
I had drooled over the Kriss way back in the days before it came out.  Of course being overseas all you have time for is drooling on things to get into when you return.  Finally returning, I could not believe the price on them and never even tried to put my hands on one.  Years later (last year) I found one just out of the blue.  "we cant keep em on the shelves and can never get enough" was what the store owner told me.  

I lusted over this machine for years and now I owned her.  You cant not love this gun, its just too awesome.  Its a whole new level of awesomeness.  Everyone who shoots it cannot believe how easy it is to stack shots on top of eachother and make a gaping hole so quickly and easily.  Its fast, and accurate.  While I have yet to put a red dot on it yet, the sights are all you need.  There have been issues, but those were mostly user error, in that the controls are different and take getting used to.  The charging handle stroke isnt much and takes some getting used to when racking the bolt.  Ive only ever put WWB through it, however Im learning now that someone is reloading LEAD for it... that is something I may try!  

I have used the Kriss in a "run n gun" type match, and I was hugely let down due to failure to feed issues I "thought" I had.  I think that those issues were resolved when I re-shot an event some time later yet with a saturated action.  Oil is key.  Lots.  Some say that it just needs to be broken in: but even after close to 650+ rounds, there doesnt appear to be any visible wear anywhere.  

I do have the 16" version with the barrel shroud.  Everyone sees that, and its instant wow factor thinking its a huge can or it shoots 40mm flares or something.  Shooting this thing is pure fun, has wow factor, does not get boring, is easy to shoot, makes a big ass hole with its incredible accuracy, and is very reliable.  After more practice it can be easily used for close range 3 gun shoots.  It makes range sessions less boring, always attracting a crowd.  

Now to decide on keeping it 16" or to SBR it.  Its so fun the way it is though!

If you got the cash and want a subgun, I highly suggest you get you one.  I have considered selling mine from time to time in order to fund other guns, however, when you think of all the huge grins it brings its impossible too.  

Lastly, I am not sure if you wanted to use this gun for official duty/LEO/.mil etc, I'd be sure to check into other guns that are being used to fulfill the subgun role.  Not sure if it has been mentioned on this thread or not, but I am not sure of ANY departments using the Kriss.  It would be great to hear if anyone is though.

Let us know if you do buy one!
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 7:38:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#24]
It is great hearing from like minded owners. The Kriss is just plain fun. I got to shoot the full auto smg yesterday. Something all kriss owners should do at least once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy3NSVDRGig&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#25]
A friend bought a Kriss, after handling it and USC/UMP I would go the HK route for the money. The Kriss is cool and the bullets come out; its heaver and the system is kinda useless in a semi, and the stock has more squish in it that I think it should. The USC converted to a folding UMP is a better shooting experience and has all the bugs worked out of it, its simpler and you arn't lugging around all those extra parts from the super V system.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#26]
good to know about the HK system. That is something I have yet to test out.

However I think there are some aspects that you are not taking into consideration. They might not mean much to you but they mean something to someone, including myself.

1. The Super V system does make a difference in the civilian version. I shot the SMG and the recoil is more pronounced. I have yet to shoot another PCC in 45 that isnt a SMG in full auto. I shot a thompson and a grease gun. Not quite the same. But interesting when compared to the Kriss SMG. I think the Super V does help. However take this with a grain of salt as I need to compare like with like. I need to shoot a Beretta, Hipoint or the HK in 45.

2. The HK take proprietary magazines. Beretta, Hipoint and Kriss take pistol mags that work in pistols. To me that was a key factor.

But if you are solely focused on a PCC in 45 acp then The HK is a great weapon.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Kriss is not for everyone but have to rave on it's performance so far.  Got it over Thanksgiving, first 13 rounds all in the X! So far no fail of any kind! And with the YHM Cobra 2 suppressor on it shoots and sounds like a dream!

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae280/heliguy/KrissBreakinMag1-1.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top