Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2012 6:49:36 PM EDT
I have been reading here and people always ask which suppressor for 308, 223, etc...have we ever compiled a list of what suppressors are worth it?  Or is it just to much of a personal preference, price range, or specific use?  Once I finish my SBR I'm going to start collecting suppressors and hate to ask questions that have been beat to death. So is there a list?  Anything like that?  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Too many different legitimate priorities to make a real list. If you are looking for a can and tell me what your priorities are I will tell you what you should consider.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Lots of variables.  Cost, weight, tone, db reduction, etc. We could shoot teh same can, but I may think it's pitch is too high, where you think it's fine, etc.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:11:45 PM EDT
[#3]
yes lots of variables.
Is db really a difference?

My thought is having a SOLID mount, i'll give up a couple of DB for a consistent POA POI shift or none.

I have Gemtech, AAC, and Surefire.

My last two have been Surefire ... for their mounts. Period.
yes I run a 30Cal can on a 556. till my 212 gets in...
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:16:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Too many different legitimate priorities to make a real list. If you are looking for a can and tell me what your priorities are I will tell you what you should consider.

I'm looking for a can for my precision rifle.  Has to be repeatable shift when put on.  Accurate. Quiet as possible.  I think that's all I need.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:18:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. I figured there was to much to consider for a list. Hoping to make my future purchases a little easier than asking the same thing over and over.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:20:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have been reading here and people always ask which suppressor for 308, 223, etc...have we ever compiled a list of what suppressors are worth it?  Or is it just to much of a personal preference, price range, or specific use?  Once I finish my SBR I'm going to start collecting suppressors and hate to ask questions that have been beat to death. So is there a list?  Anything like that?  Thanks guys.

Just great, I see you found your way in here.

Alphabetical order:

AAC

Gemtech

Liberty

Silencerco/SWR(mainly .223/5.56 for now)

Surefire

Thunderbeast

YHM

All of these brands are available, when they have them in stock, at Silencer Shop. Give Silencer Shop a call, you won't be disappointed, I went through them for my YHM 7.62 Ti and they made the process so easy it's borderline criminal.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:30:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just great, I see you found your way in here.

Alphabetical order:

AAC

Gemtech

Liberty

Silencerco/SWR(mainly .223/5.56 for now)

Surefire

Thunderbeast

YHM

All of these brands are available, when they have them in stock, at Silencer Shop. Give Silencer Shop a call, you won't be disappointed, I went through them for my YHM 7.62 Ti and they made the process so easy it's borderline criminal.

Have to expand my toys.  Did you suppress your 5R?  If ya did what did you use?  I will have to give Silencer shop a call. Been looking at there site for a while.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:37:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm looking for a can for my precision rifle.  Has to be repeatable shift when put on.  Accurate. Quiet as possible.  I think that's all I need.

OPS inc.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:59:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Have to expand my toys.  Did you suppress your 5R?  If ya did what did you use?  I will have to give Silencer shop a call. Been looking at there site for a while.

Went with a YHM 7.62 Titanium can, should have it by Jan/Feb next year.

5R with YHM 7.62 brake

MSAR STG-556 with YHM 5.56 flash hider

A shooting buddies YHM 5.56 can on my MSAR

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:09:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Went with a YHM 7.62 Titanium can, should have it by Jan/Feb next year.

5R with YHM 7.62 brake
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo157/Furyataurus/004-30.jpg

MSAR STG-556 with YHM 5.56 flash hider
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo157/Furyataurus/007_zpsdf5cc518.jpg

A shooting buddies YHM 5.56 can on my MSAR
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo157/Furyataurus/003-40.jpg

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo157/Furyataurus/004-34.jpg

I have looked at the YHM suppressors. The price seems good.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:38:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I would go with Thunderbeast for a bolt gun.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Look at Ops Inc or Allen Precision the guy who makes Ops cans.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I looked at the 3rd model which looks like its for 30 cal bolt guns.  How does that can compare to Thunder beast 30BA?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#15]
For a precision bolt gun, I would recommend a Thunderbeast can hands down.  I am a suppressor dealer and have and like cans from almost all of the major manufacturers.  But the repeatable POI shift, noise attenuation, weight and construction of the TBAC cans make it my choice for a bolt action.  If you look at the cans that guys in the LRPR game are using, a great deal of them will be TBACs.  Not saying the others are bad cans, but I think the TBACs are just a touch ahead.

Here is a crappy IPhone pic of one of my rifles with a TBAC 30P-1 with a TAB mirage cover:

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:27:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
For a precision bolt gun, I would recommend a Thunderbeast can hands down.  I am a suppressor dealer and have and like cans from almost all of the major manufacturers.  But the repeatable POI shift, noise attenuation, weight and construction of the TBAC cans make it my choice for a bolt action.  If you look at the cans that guys in the LRPR game are using, a great deal of them will be TBACs.  Not saying the others are bad cans, but I think the TBACs are just a touch ahead.

Here is a crappy IPhone pic of one of my rifles with a TBAC 30P-1 with a TAB mirage cover:

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac212/rbdub474/Untitled.jpg

Which is better the BA or P-1?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+2 on Ops Inc

But I'm also interested in the TB cans.  I've heard a lot of good things about them as well.  Surefire is a winner too, but can be quite expensive.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like both for different reasons.  I am going to be putting the P-1 on a .260, and it will live there pretty much exclusively.  The BA will be going on several different rifles.  I also will use it on my rifles that will be packed in an Eberlestock pack.  With the can on, it is just a little to long for the pack in my opinion.  With the BA, I will be able to remove the rifle run the can on and be ready a little quicker.  I think both will serve most people well.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like both for different reasons.  I am going to be putting the P-1 on a .260, and it will live there pretty much exclusively.  The BA will be going on several different rifles.  I also will use it on my rifles that will be packed in an Eberlestock pack.  With the can on, it is just a little to long for the pack in my opinion.  With the BA, I will be able to remove the rifle run the can on and be ready a little quicker.  I think both will serve most people well.

So would the BA be a better choice if I plan on using it on a AR also?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So would the BA be a better choice if I plan on using it on a AR also?

In my opinion (take it for what it's worth), it depends on how often you will be switching the can around.  The P-1 doesn't take to long to take on or off, but for some applications, I want to get the can on nice and quick.  If it is something you will only change around occasionally, the P-1 would probably work well.  I also like the brake on certain rifles when I'm not using the suppressor.  Other rifles, I don't want to run a brake on.  From what I have seen, both have exceptional repeatable POI shift and db reduction.  Plus they do a lot to support the LRPR sports.

Also their CS is second to none.  I've called Ray (Company VP) before to ask questions and place orders, and he has been more than helpful even though he was at a range in the middle of one match or another.  Having down to earth guys who are shooters first and businessman second who will take the time to help even small people like me means a lot.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#21]
If tbac makes the ba in a 1/2 x 28 tp it would allw you to use the can on both 762 and 556.  Assumes the 30p-1 ba would mount to both.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If tbac makes the ba in a 1/2 x 28 tp it would allw you to use the can on both 762 and 556.  Assumes the 30p-1 ba would mount to both.

Here is the list from TBAC of what they thread the brake in: 1/2-28, 5/8-24, 3/4-20, 3/4-24, 3/4-28, M18x1.0, M18x1.5
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#23]
There ya go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top