Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2009 12:12:42 PM EDT
I just had a thread locked talking about these sights so I would appreciate it if this one was kept civil.

I just took my rifle with the tech sights out for the second time. Sighted it in for 20 yds. since its so windy today. 20 yds. is the first time the bullet crosses the line of sight for a 50 yd. zero. I was rested in good solid rest on a good solid bench. I was having some issues with horizontal stringing and could not figure out what was going on.

This target was at 20 yds. The right side group is Wolf MT, which is standard velocity. The center is Remington CBee, the new subsonic rounds that I recently posted on. The left two targets are Federal Automatch, which this rifle has always liked.

You can see that the HV rounds were stringing horizontal pretty badly. The CBees were getting blown around some, but the cause could have been the same. Only the wolf grouped decent.

When I got home I found out the front sight is really wobbly. Very loose threads. It actually has about .013" of movement from side to side. If my math is correct, with the 23" sight radius, that represents approx. 2 MOA of movement.

I have wrapped the threads of the front sight in teflon tape. It took 4 full wraps to get it tight enough that it won't wobble. Its still easy to turn.

I had some issues with the finish on the front sight. Pretty ugly in my opinion. Doesn't affect function at all, but it does not give me warm and fuzzy feelings when the sights cost $75 delivered. I expected more. Didn't know they were made in Taiwan either.

This is a picture of the rifle with the sights installed.

I will let the reader be the judge. I am thinking about going back over and doing some more shooting. Even in this wind I would be able to tell if the horizontal stringing was me or the rifle. I thought it was me until I found that sight wobble. I am not that terrible a shot.
Link Posted: 8/9/2009 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I shot it again and its much, much better. I will post pictures when I get home. The teflon tape did the trick. I may have my buddy draw up a whole new sight and just machine an entirely new one out of 6160 and powder coat it. I won't be hard to cut the dovetail to a 1 to 1 fit so its tight and fills the dovetail. Then the set screw would really hold it well. No more flexing the entire base upward with the set screw.

The targets are marked as to the round that was used. The orange dots are 1". The other target had 1" gray dots in the center.
Link Posted: 8/10/2009 6:37:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I received a response from Tech sights. They basically ignored 80% of the email I sent them to focus on how I said the sights function great. I didn't know when I sent them that email about the wobbly front sight.

They responded again and volunteered to replace the front sight tower, but he said that they are working on improvements and that they would be happy to replace it once the new revisions in place.

It looks like they are a stand up company. Took a bit of prodding, but okay.

I am going to keep using the crappy front sight until they get their improvements done.
Link Posted: 8/10/2009 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#3]
looks to me like you have solved, or working to solve some of the issues you discussed in the locked thread,

the Rem groups may be a fluke, or may be due to the ammo, I have not had a lot of luck using Rem 22lr, regardless of the type, in some of my 22's

keep practicing with the wolf and Fed automatch, and then go to 50yrds,

have fun!
Link Posted: 8/10/2009 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
looks to me like you have solved, or working to solve some of the issues you discussed in the locked thread,

the Rem groups may be a fluke, or may be due to the ammo, I have not had a lot of luck using Rem 22lr, regardless of the type, in some of my 22's

have fun!

Remington subsonics have always shot under 1" at 50 yds. Usually tighter. Not much luck with other remington loads until these CBee's. Their target stuff isn't as accurate as the subsonics for me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

have fun!

Remington subsonics have always shot under 1" at 50 yds. Usually tighter. Not much luck with other remington loads until these CBee's. Their target stuff isn't as accurate as the subsonics for me.

funny, my rifles hate rem subsonic, and the last few bricks I had were not consistent at all, sold them off on gunbroker

and I have a brick of the rem target SV stuff, not that accurate either, (in my guns)

I have some old PMC target ammo that is great, and the usual helping of eley, wolf match etc that all work good,

and for whatever reason, mini mags are mighty accurate in several of my bolt guns,,

Link Posted: 8/13/2009 8:21:42 PM EDT
[#6]
try some SK plus.. IMO the issues you are seeing is ammo related..

this is a typical target i shot today @ 25 meters (81 feet) w/ my 10/22  Left is SK Plus.. right is Federal AutoMatch

ETA: I am using tech-sights

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
try some SK plus.. IMO the issues you are seeing is ammo related..

this is a typical target i shot today @ 25 meters (81 feet) w/ my 10/22  Left is SK Plus.. right is Federal AutoMatch

ETA: I am using tech-sights

http://s3.amazonaws.com/petefromny/10-22-ironsights.jpg

If you look at my last set of targets, the two center groups, top and bottom, are Federal automatch. The dots are 1" so those groups are the size of your SK group. This rifle shoots shots through the same hole at 25 yds. with Wolf MT and a good scope.

The problem was a combination of a loose sight and my eye sight. I got the loose sight remedied and now I just need to practice with the tech sights. I think I should be putting shots on top of shots after a few more trips to the range. I would be very happy with 1" at 50 with irons.
Link Posted: 8/15/2009 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't had anyone address something I am trying to help me get better with iron sights.

I used to think that if I stayed further away from the rear sight, perspective would help me to be more accurate since the front sight fills up more of the rear sight.

That assumption appears to have been wrong. I am finding that getting closer to the sight lets more light through so its easier to make out the definition of the front sight on the target. Has anyone noticed the same thing? I am finding that my group size doesn't change or gets better when I get a little closer.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I did some more shooting with my tech sighted stock 10/22 today. After sighting it in, I was easily able to hit 2"x2" squares on a steel target @ 50 yds over and over. I hit 10 in a row at one point. The crazy part? I was shooting off hand. These sights are very easy to use. Wish the front sight was done better.

I was hitting a 10" wide chicken silhouette off hand at 75 yds. reliably. I will have to do some pop cans off hand at 100 yds. to see how it goes.
Top Top