Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 11:47:52 PM EDT
I've noticed in pretty much all the pictures you guys are going the dedicated scope route.  I plan to with the next 10/22 I build up, but with the lack of long shots in my area, I'm looking to build a dedicated iron sighter first.  

See-thru scope rings would be nice, but I'm primarily concerned with adding unjustifiable weight in a seldom used scope, and screwing up cheek weld and/or sight radius.  So based on this information, is there any advice on points I might have missed, and could we discuss some ideal iron sight or combination setups please?

The front runner at this point from my current observations is the Williams 10/22 peep sight here...but if I use it I would strongly consider ditching the front firesight altogether for a regular blade.  So then I got to considering the Zepher aperture system here but have heard mixed reviews of Eagle and have reservations about the quality of that rear aperture compared to the Williams.  On the other hand, I'm a sucker for the hooded front sight and think it would look pretty damn nice on my weapon.  Anyone have any experience with this sight system?  Lastly I have considered a Williams Dovetail Open Sight ordered bladeless and an aperture holder from Williams.  This setup would be a lot more versatile but would mount in the rear sight dovetail and sacrifice some sight quality and eye relief...but still woild leave room for a conventionally mounted scope if I change my mind down the road (not likely to happen, just buy another 10/22 and scope it).

Lastly, how many yay/nay for chopping the barrel to 16" and why?  I'm on the fence...on the one side I want all the compactness I can get, mostly a pack gun...on the other I'm not sure 2.5" is worth the time or money on a stock ruger barrel.  If I want to really burn cash I could just get a 16.5" VQ barrel!

Have I missed something?  Can you guys help nudge me in the right direction?  Where are all the after market front sight options?  Where are the tritium sights for crying out loud!!!  Thanks.  Oh yeah, here's the pic.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:19:41 AM EDT
[#1]
FWIW, in regard to shortening the barrel, most "match" 22LR shooters I'm aware of, that shoot 10/22s, have their rifles cut to bare minimum lengths. This is in order to get the round outta the barrel before the bolt begins it's recoil (which can affect the shot).

Of course they also shoot HIGH DOLLAR 22LR rounds, about 7-8 bucks a box (50 rounds), and 36 power Leupold scopes.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:58:17 PM EDT
[#2]
i just installed the Zepher aperture system on my rifle last weekend.  It looks awsome but i havent taken it to the range yet.  The field of vision is very small with it.  You only see whats inside the front hooded sights circle.  I was going for looks though and was very pleased with the results.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:58:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input TheSelecter.  Please let me know how it works out for you at the range.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had the Zphyer on my 10/22 for several years.  I had to bend a washer in a slight curved shape and put it under the rear sight to get enough elevation.  Later I took the grinder to the stock scope mount and ground down the back of it where the rear sight would sit so that I can keep the rear sight on with enough elevation and put on my red dot when I want it.

The sight work great for target shooting and plinking and they look very cool but I don't like squirrel hunting with them.  You just can't see enough through that peep.  I use my red dot for that.  If you want pics  I can post them.  What is a good site to upload them too?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#5]
16-18" is optimal for .22LR.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:51:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Stock Ruger 10/22 sights SUCK! My Daisy BB gun has better sights.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#7]
yfs200 pics would be appreciated upload them to Imageshack or Tinypic ...just in case you aren't familiar with the process, once you broswe to and upload it, copy and paste the URL using the image button.  example [img*]URL[/img*] minus the stars

edit - fixed link
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#8]
i'll have to take a pic next time i'm at my house so you can check it out.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Here are the ones I have.  If you want close ups of the rear sight and such, let me know.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#10]
yfs200 whats the specs on that dot sight?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#11]
a close up of the rear sight would be appreciated...badass looking setup by the way
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:32:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Zepher sights are on the Krinker kits. Also has a rail system for your optics.

Being compact is also a plus:

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Here you go.   I also have a pic of the washer I used to have under the rear sight.  The dot scope is a 42mm Simmons.  I like it, but I wish I had got the 30mm so I had a better cheek weld.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top