Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2014 11:37:54 PM EDT
Anybody have/used either or both of these?  I'm looking for a dedicated can for my 10.5 SBR.  I was dead set on a Gemtech Trek until I stumbled across the Grunt Mini.  It's about 3/4 inch smaller and 4oz lighter than the Trek.  It seems to fit the bill but am I missing something?  My google-fu didn't turn up much.  Part of me is stuck on the "brand name" of Gemtech but I know all the big boys started somewhere.  I find the Trek slightly more pleasing to the eye but form follows function.   Any other cans you might reccomend? I'd  like to stay under $600, plus stamp of course.  Any info would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:50:47 PM EDT
[#1]
FWIW I have used the regular grunt with exo on a 7.5" AR (shorter than their stated warranty min of 10")  in semi and full auto. I was very pleased with the  sound suppression and how well it threaded on and stayed tight. In the $600 range right now if you mean not including the stamp you have the saker 5.56 and I saw a specwar 5.56 for $399. Haven't heard or used any gemtech so can't comment there.

A benefit of the grunt as a direct thread is no weight from a mount. So you end up less weight overall at end of the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a Trek-T that cleared form 3 last week and should be at my local dealer this week.  As soon as I get my grubby hands on it I'll let you know.  I know there are other Trek owners on the board as well.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a Trek-T that cleared form 3 last week and should be at my local dealer this week.  As soon as I get my grubby hands on it I'll let you know.  I know there are other Trek owners on the board as well.
View Quote

I've had a Trek-T on my 10" Colt and it is a great can, but is more than $600. From what I recall when researching the Trek and Trek-T, the sound reduction is about the same, but the Trek-T is significantly lighter weight.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for y'alls input.  While I haven't heard much about Innovative Arms, it has all been positive.   I thought about the Tret T.   I don't know if I want to spend that much on a dedicated can although I may have to reconsider my thinking.  This gun is with me almost 24/7 and gets used the most so I might have to shell out some more coin.  The mini grunt is .7 shorter but the Trek T is 3.2oz lighter but $300 more.   Which do you value more, length or weight? Anybody with a Mini Grunt wanna chime in?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Weight ever time. Did a rifle course recently: 1st day with a 11.5" barrel and a 24oz gemtech g5. 2nd day I went to a SPR 18" barrel with no suppressor. Didn't go back to the suppressor. Did some range drills shortly after with the same rifle (11.5") and the g5t (14oz). 10oz is a big difference, but weight saved is fatigue reduced. 3 oz saved will be appreciated when you're humping it.

Also have the trek and love it. If you can spring for the titanium model DO IT. I chose SS over Ti and strongly regret it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#6]
TXshooter12:
Buds gunshop has the Gemtech Trek-t for $650.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/1072_1075/products_id/411547714/GEMTECH+TREK-TI+5.56MM+SUPPRESSOR

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TXshooter12:
Buds gunshop has the Gemtech Trek-t for $650.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/1072_1075/products_id/411547714/GEMTECH+TREK-TI+5.56MM+SUPPRESSOR

View Quote

That's a great price.  Silencershop has them listed at $892.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:25:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow, that is a crazy good price.  That might change things.  Those who have/seen a Trek T, what color is it?  I'm confused, some pics or descriptions show a natural titanium finish.  Others, including Gemtech's site, show desert tan. So which is it??
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I have three innovative arms suppressors. All are awesome quality and they are great people. They are located in sc.

I have the
5.55 grunt with exo
.22 apex
.22 integrally suppressed ruger 10/22 takedown that they made for me
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I think I just sold myself.  I did some highly scientific stuff, I threaded on my SS Sparrow and taped flashlights to it.  I used manufacturers advertised weights as follows.  All weights are in ounces with batteries.  

SS Sparrow: 6.5
Surefire G2: 4.1
Streamlight Protac 1AA: 2.3
Streamlight Protac 2AA: 3.4

So I added lights as necessary to achieve the approximate weight of the 3 cans:

Trek: 17.3
Trek T: 10.3
Gunt M: 13.5

This helped a lot, atleast my decision not my wallet.  Luckily I have a wife that believes in "buy once, cry once"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top