Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2014 3:08:03 PM EDT
Anyone got any details on this set of PVS7s.  No exterior marking so Ive provided pics.  I was going to try to open them up and see the tube but I cant figure out how to remove the front of the unit. I know most PVS7s have a small tab that has to be depressed to unscrew the objective lense but these don't.  I tried to unscrew them by hand and it feels glued on.....

Id like to know at least what gen they may be and the manufacturer, Thanks.

The objective lense has a serial on the other side and says a mfd date of 2010

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Only the 7A or 7C have the tang that needs to be depressed to remove the lens. Yours just unscrews. Stop treating it like a lady and grab hold of the front lens assembly and unscrew it. Righty tighty lefty loosey. Yours is either a 7B or 7D. Matters little as the housings are pretty much identical.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, any other info on them?  Ill try to get a few pics through the eyepiece. I don't want to remove the tube until I get my Argon tank refilled so I can purge them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, any other info on them?  Ill try to get a few pics through the eyepiece. I don't want to remove the tube until I get my Argon tank refilled so I can purge them.
View Quote

I highly doubt any inert gas is left inside. You won't hurt them. Until I see the tube I can't tell you anything other than you have a nice PVS-7 housing. The tube is the engine and 2/3 the cost of the scope. The lens serial number means little to nothing as they are easy to swap. Need to see the tube for more information.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Tube says "PHOTONIS XX1451BA   S/N XXXXXXX"
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Gen 2+ also known as a SHP tube. This is a European tube made in the Netherlands. Good tubes. Not Gen 3 good but still a modern Gen 2. They are civvy tubes from what I can tell. Google Photonis XX1451 tube and you will find tons of info.

Don't use the full number you posted.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the help.  I was told this set was made by ATN so I guess that would explain the "commercial tube".  Next question, are they worth $1300 as shown in pics?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for all the help.  I was told this set was made by ATN so I guess that would explain the "commercial tube".  Next question, are they worth $1300 as shown in pics?
View Quote

I would say $1300 is a fair price. The housing alone is worth $500 used assuming everything works. The SHP tubes are expensive which is why you don't see a ton of them in the US. We generally can find Gen 3 cheaper or at the same cost.

I have heard some dealers have found good deals on SHP tubes so we may be seeing more of them. Yes, I would say $1300 is a good deal assuming all works well. Commercial tubes can be as good or better than mil-spec, they also can be worse. Luck of the draw without a data sheet.

Photonis makes good tubes. They have Gen 2 that can compete with some of our Gen 3. The whole generation thing gets blurred with Photonis tubes because while they use a Gen 2 photocathode they are very advanced Gen 2 tubes. While the US stopped developing Gen 2 technology Photonis did not. They have Gen 2 tubes equal to about our Gen 3 Omni V. Maybe better by now. They are a very capable tube manufacturer.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Have a xx1450.  Love it.  Great tube, good s/n and very clean.  PS of 700, very capable.  Practical terms, good to anything down to  overcast starlight.  

Congratulations.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the info......Until I took the tube out to get the info on it this set had a flawless image. Absolutely no dark spots at all.  Now after reassembling I have two black spots.  One very faint and one larger egg shaped black dot.....I took the tube back out and blew some air on it and reassembled with no luck.  Whats the cleaning protol for the lenses and possibly tube?  Could the tube have been damaged from gently removing and reinstalling it?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 12:51:31 AM EDT
[#10]
a blast of air might not be enough - use a cotton bud or something first then blast it - also if you tried it with the front cap on then it might look like marks but without the cap it could be clean , dont think taking it out should hurt it -  my car got wrote off recently and with the impact my pvs7 came apart and the tube flew across the car - i rescued it from the wreckage along with the bits of 7 and it works perfect
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 1:26:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Cotton swab, alcohol.  Circular motion starting from center.....moving toward edge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top