Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2015 2:47:55 PM EDT
Came across this cellular GPS tracker, and I'm considering putting it in one of my spare cars that doesn't get driven much in case it were to get stolen when I'm at work, but I'm thinking this might be good for someone who might not be able to bolt down their safe:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/itraq-the-cellular-tracking-device

The device is pretty small and should last 3 years with the built in battery...would be a bit more interesting if it had an accelerometer to detect any motion and send an alert (but you can set it to alert you when it wakes up for the day and is out of a range you specify)....but the best part is NO monthly fees.

Anyone come up with a similar/better safe-specific solution that doesn't require a monthly fee?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#1]
They make GPS devices for jobbox's, DeWalt I believe among others. I am not sure about fees.

If you do a DIY alarm, like a Honeywell Vista 20P, you can add a Honeywell asset protection device like a 5870API, you could also add an envisalink board, both will notify you and have various triggers.

I currently am playing with a Netgear Arlo camera, $199, calls/text my Smartphone when someone gets near my (fill in the blank, tools, safe, classic car, etc.) also no fee.

Envisalink

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The odds of a large gun safe growing legs is fairly slim, especially when bolted down.  On site burglary is more common, and even these are statistically rare.  Why do you think these companies offer free replacements after these events?  It's because they rarely have to.  The few times it happens your insurance usually covers it, and in the rare instance it doesn't, that leaves very few needing replacing.

There are high end safes on the market, the type a professional may come for, which come GPS equipped from the factory.  I have never heard of one ever being used.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Came across this cellular GPS tracker, and I'm considering putting it in one of my spare cars that doesn't get driven much in case it were to get stolen when I'm at work, but I'm thinking this might be good for someone who might not be able to bolt down their safe:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/itraq-the-cellular-tracking-device

The device is pretty small and should last 3 years with the built in battery...would be a bit more interesting if it had an accelerometer to detect any motion and send an alert (but you can set it to alert you when it wakes up for the day and is out of a range you specify)....but the best part is NO monthly fees.

Anyone come up with a similar/better safe-specific solution that doesn't require a monthly fee?
View Quote

First, it's not gps.

Second, this is a funding program with no guarantee it will ever go anywhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top