Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2006 12:48:22 PM EDT
I just came across possibly my first FAL, but before I consider picking it up, I had some questions. The FAL is built on an Imbel receiver. Is Imbel good, bad or middle of the road? also, I couldn't tell if it was metric or inch. How can I tell, and what are the differences? I would appreciate any answers. Oh, BTW, asking price is $740. Deal or not?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#1]
imbel is the best. is it a CAI import? you can tell if its inch or metric receiver by looking at the front notch on the magwell. if its a rectanglular hole, its inch cut, if its a sidways "D" cut its metric cut. just because the receiver is metric doesnt mean the rest of the gun isnt inch. i had a franken fal that was inch parts on a metric receiver. in fact its the one i let you shoot.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#2]
so....should I consider picking it up for $740?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, By the way, he called it an FNFAL if that makes any difference
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:31:04 AM EDT
[#4]
FNFAL is the catchall term for the rifle, kind of the way we call them ARs
when in fact they are ARs, XM15E2s, LAR-15s ,  OA-15s, etc.

And Imbel is very good, but I would say DSA might be the best. That said I have an Imbel FAL and I love it.

740 aint a bad price right now depending on some factors.
What condition is it in?
Does the guy know what kind of parts are on the rifle?
Was is it a CAI import or a kit build on a stripped receiver ?
If a build , who built it ?
If CAI import, 740 is a bit high in my opinion.
If it is a STG58 parts kit on an Imbel receiver built by knowledgeble smith, I think you would be pretty happy.

Make sure is 922R compliant, you want US Hammer / Trigger / Sear, Gas Piston and furniture.

That gives you all the US compliant parts you need without messing with US mag floorplates and followers.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#5]
cmeyer001 has made some great points you will need to know before purchasing any FAL.... my $0.02.... be 100% sure what you are looking at before you buy.....haste makes waste.....  FAL parts kit gun for $740....no deal Howie
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#6]
A big reason you want to know if the reciever is metric or inch is for mags.
-The metric mags will work on an inch but will seem a little loose.  (Easier to find and cheaper.)
-Inch mags cannot be used on a metric reciever w/out modifying the mags. (HTF and more
expensive, but there are 30rd. mags avail.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top