Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 5:48:48 AM EDT

I traded some mags for this USAF survival vest with a friend.  It was a good deal, but I really don't know anything about the vest.  I googled it, but there were no advertisents or other useful info about it's features.  I am hoping you guys can shed some light on it.  

As you can see, there is a central knife sheath for a small K-bar, two large gear pouches, and three smaller ones.  I have so far added a USGI compass pouch, and filled the pouches with survival gear.  There are four interior pouches, which I put MRE main courses in.

Here are my questions:

What is the slit in the right shoulder for?

On the lower right shoulder you can see a flap of fabric, but there is nothing special underneath it.  What is it for?

You can see a buckle and strap near the center beside the zipper, and there is another on the opposite side, which is less visible.  What are they for?

Where can I find mag pouches for this type of vest?  The three smaller pouches are not the correct size to hold USGI 20, 30 mags, or .308 mags, unfortunately.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:59:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know enough about different pieces of gear to identify it, but it looks like a modular vest and the pouches appear to be atatched to the MOLLE/PALS webbing.  That means you can remove those pouches and attach any MOLLE/PALS/MALICE/STRIKE/etc. compliant pouches to configure it to your needs.  Edited to add hat lightfighter.com has tons of pouches that would fit it.  Jut about all of the nylon gear makers make pouches that will fit this vest.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I think it is an Airsave vest. You might try Lightfighter's boards. Those guys should be able to answer your questions pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Does it have a hydration pouch on the back? That slit could be for the hydration tube...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Does it have a hydration pouch on the back? That slit could be for the hydration tube...

I hadn't thought of that.  There isn't any kind of pouch for a hydration system, though.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Then I guess it could if you had a stand alone hydration system that you could still run the tube through it....
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

On the lower right shoulder you can see a flap of fabric, but there is nothing special underneath it.  What is it for?  

I can't remember the nomenclature for it, but aviators wear a harness underneath the vest, with an extraction attachment (webbing and a d-ring).    I think it goes through the slot and is held down by the velcro; undo it and it clips to the helo's winch.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:38:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't remember the nomenclature for it, but aviators wear a harness underneath the vest, with an extraction attachment (webbing and a d-ring).    I think it goes through the slot and is held down by the velcro; undo it and it clips to the helo's winch.  

Something like a STABO rig?....that would make sense.....I just noticed that both shoulders have that seam and flap...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:21:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Something like a STABO rig?....that would make sense.....I just noticed that both shoulders have that seam and flap...

Actually, the seam on the left shoulder is sewn closed - I guess it's just there for looks.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#9]
It's closed....Hmmm....then either for a hydration tube or it could be a channel for a radio headset/lapel mic cord....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top