Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2015 1:05:43 PM EDT
So I made this thread a few days ago and wanted to do a more technical based thread on actually how I should build it/if anyone had experience.

And just to get it out of the way, the "why" is because I have a stocked handgun fetish

So my basic plan is something like this:

And this:

I'm not going to worry about it being all that QD or anything this time around, just figure retained thumb/allenhead-screws would be just fine.

As for attaching it, I think that simply drilling and tapping the frame 2x on the bottom and 1x up on to would be adequate correct? I was thinking of using my current .357 blackhawk as a host vs getting a .44 mag or .45 or something but now I'm leaning towards a whole different gun in one of the latter two calibers. So circling around, what would have a suitable frame? I do know it'll need to be similar to the Blackhawk's frame unless yall have a better idea

So any input? Advice? Interest? Experience? I'll take what I can get
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Rossi makes a revolver carbine. Cutting down the barrel on one of these is the simplest and cheapest way by far.

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Mateba Carbine's are the way to go....

My 357 would be an SBR in the USA as it has a 13" barrel
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mateba Carbine's are the way to go....

My 357 would be an SBR in the USA as it has a 13" barrel
View Quote

Picks, I needs them
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Rossi makes a revolver carbine. Cutting down the barrel on one of these is the simplest and cheapest way by far.

http://i.imgur.com/8BHPFDS.jpg
View Quote

Mehhhhh....those are all kinds of messed up. Because Taurus and that they've got a "forcing cone" of sorts instead of going from chamber to barrel, it goes into an oversized cone then to the actual rifling
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Silenced Nagant revolver SBR?

From my experience with a Glock .40 SBR, I would recommend doing the smaller caliber. Handguns are just so lightweight that the recoil becomes significantly annoying when shooting a handgun-turned-SBR.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Black powder guns aren't legally considered guns, and you could easily attach a stock to a black powder revolved without any legal hassle.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Black powder guns aren't legally considered guns, and you could easily attach a stock to a black powder revolved without any legal hassle.
View Quote

I was going to suggest this as well.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any opinions on a cabelas pietta? .36 vs .44? Accuracy? I'm not real fond of it but may be an interesting new field to get into
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Silenced Nagant revolver SBR?

From my experience with a Glock .40 SBR, I would recommend doing the smaller caliber. Handguns are just so lightweight that the recoil becomes significantly annoying when shooting a handgun-turned-SBR.
View Quote

If the nagants weren't so crude I'd fo on that I see where you're coming from though, it's just that there really isn't much out there in the world of longer barreled .357 revolvers (I want this to be kinda my "hunting" gun and feel a 6" may be a lil short)
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Mehhhhh....those are all kinds of messed up. Because Taurus and that they've got a "forcing cone" of sorts instead of going from chamber to barrel, it goes into an oversized cone then to the actual rifling
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Rossi makes a revolver carbine. Cutting down the barrel on one of these is the simplest and cheapest way by far.

Certainly on the .45" Colt/.410" guns, b/c birdshot.  On the .44" Mag & the .22" WMR?  I'll have a look @ the Clearance .22" WMR when I get back to work.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 4:50:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Certainly on the .45" Colt/.410" guns, b/c birdshot.  On the .44" Mag & the .22" WMR?  I'll have a look @ the Clearance .22" WMR when I get back to work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Rossi makes a revolver carbine. Cutting down the barrel on one of these is the simplest and cheapest way by far.

I know the rimfire does for damn sure. IIRC, a buddy of mine had one and it measured something like .30 cal (or damn close)
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 11:34:26 PM EDT
[#12]
uberti makes a revolving carbine in .45 colt, 44-40 and others too if I recall.

it is an 1873 clone but be easy to modify once stamp came back
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
uberti makes a revolving carbine in .45 colt, 44-40 and others too if I recall.

it is an 1873 clone but be easy to modify once stamp came back
View Quote

Hmmmm....

I wonder how hard it'd be to have a pic rail drilled and tapped though...I really want a 1-3or4x optic
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Why don't you go the way the original Colt revolvers did it?

One of the action screws is extended on both ends acting as the upper mount/pivot - them the stock clamps to the bottom of the grip frame.

You can see it here...

http://www.icollector.com/Colt-single-action-army-revolver-45-Colt-caliber-7-1-2-barrel-blue-and-case-hardened-finish-ha_i8787591

Good luck,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#15]
KAC use to make a suppressed SBR revolver. It was a proto type but I always wanted to replicate it. Does anyone have a photo of this weapon?
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
KAC use to make a suppressed SBR revolver. It was a proto type but I always wanted to replicate it. Does anyone have a photo of this weapon?
View Quote

Yep

Weird lil thing, the round was quite anemic IIRC
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why don't you go the way the original Colt revolvers did it?

One of the action screws is extended on both ends acting as the upper mount/pivot - them the stock clamps to the bottom of the grip frame.

You can see it here...

http://www.icollector.com/Colt-single-action-army-revolver-45-Colt-caliber-7-1-2-barrel-blue-and-case-hardened-finish-ha_i8787591

Good luck,
Bob S.
View Quote

Interesting...I'll look into doing it like that. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 3:18:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Any opinions on a cabelas pietta? .36 vs .44? Accuracy? I'm not real fond of it but may be an interesting new field to get into
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a Pietta .44-caiber 1858 from Cabela's that was astoundingly accurate, powerful, and very well-made.
I kept wanting to get the stock for it, too, but more pressing matters came up before I was able. Still, I highly
recommend that gun if you're looking for something like it.

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Make the revolver rifle from the anime "Wolf's Rain"

haha. Not the most practical design. Dont know if the lever is supposed to be to pen the cylinder, or cock the hammer (or just the artists misunderstanding of guns).

But always thought a large caliber, pump action revolver rifle would be amazing....

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Since you want to hunt with this, I'd check state regs before buying a cap and ball revolver.  Not all states allow hunting with them.

If it were me, I'd choose a Smith or Colt revolver in a caliber beginning with "4".  I personally would not hunt medium or large game with a .357 (but just my opinion... Many animals have been killed with it).  I'd personally choose .44 mag as I am already invested in the caliber (ammo, components, dies, etc).
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I had a Pietta .44-caiber 1858 from Cabela's that was astoundingly accurate, powerful, and very well-made.
I kept wanting to get the stock for it, too, but more pressing matters came up before I was able. Still, I highly

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm I may. I looked into the power and such and it seems like .44 C&B is similar to .38 spl. It'd work but I'd be limited to around maybe 30 yards and I'm not too hot on that...

But as a range toy? Hell yeah
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Since you want to hunt with this, I'd check state regs before buying a cap and ball revolver.  Not all states allow hunting with them.

If it were me, I'd choose a Smith or Colt revolver in a caliber beginning with "4".  I personally would not hunt medium or large game with a .357 (but just my opinion... Many animals have been killed with it).  I'd personally choose .44 mag as I am already invested in the caliber (ammo, components, dies, etc).
View Quote

Understandable but Tx deer are about the size of yall's fawns up north 40 grain. .223 is the most common round used around here.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Make the revolver rifle from the anime "Wolf's Rain"

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk172/UncannyGarlic/quentgun.jpg
http://toboe.t.o.pic.centerblog.net/8dkq682q.gif

haha. Not the most practical design. Dont know if the lever is supposed to be to pen the cylinder, or cock the hammer (or just the artists misunderstanding of guns).

But always thought a large caliber, pump action revolver rifle would be amazing....
View Quote

Taurus actually made one for the Brazilian market. Apparently they were funky to use
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:  Taurus actually made one for the Brazilian market. Apparently they were funky to use
View Quote

Apparently DBL action revolver rifles are classified as semi-autos in Brazil or one of another of Taurus' markets, hence the lever action.  Sad we didn't get any - quite a collector's piece.

ETA:  Why not just get a Judge rifle, once you get your stamp, just have the correct bbl length threaded for the Rossi frame, screw in & pin.  If you want a different caliber, you'd need a new cylinder machined, but it's long enough for .357" Maximum or even some rifle rounds.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:19:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should do it with a Walker or Dragoon repro, that would be really cool, and would let you get a feel for the setup without going NFA. If you really like the black powder non-SBR, go ahead and SBR a cartridge gun.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You should do it with a Walker or Dragoon repro, that would be really cool, and would let you get a feel for the setup without going NFA. If you really like the black powder non-SBR, go ahead and SBR a cartridge gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly, I'm probably doing both I'm picking up a donor .357 6.5" Blackhawk off of a buddy in need today and I'll use it as my host. Not optimal but it'll be fun and work out. I'll get the C&B during the wait as my 50 state legal travel gun
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Apparently DBL action revolver rifles are classified as semi-autos in Brazil or one of another of Taurus' markets, hence the lever action.  Sad we didn't get any - quite a collector's piece.

ETA:  Why not just get a Judge rifle, once you get your stamp, just have the correct bbl length threaded for the Rossi frame, screw in & pin.  If you want a different caliber, you'd need a new cylinder machined, but it's long enough for .357" Maximum or even some rifle rounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Taurus actually made one for the Brazilian market. Apparently they were funky to use

Hmmmmm that sounds increadibly interesting. I'll dig into that. Thanks  
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't have a chance to get our Judge rifle out last night, but did see it's an 8 shot .22"LR/WMR, so @ least some of the .22" ones come w/ a spare cylinder.  I did look @ the bbl on a Taurus Judge in .45" Colt, and I don't see any forcing cone - just a squared off revolver bbl.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top