Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2016 11:36:11 AM EDT
Has anyone done anything with IMR 7977 in 300WM yet?

I have been looking for a temp stable powder and tried 75grs behind a 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tip hunting bullet at 3.34 OAL.  Using CCI LRM primer.

Velocities came in at 2850 instead of the roughly 2950 the Hodgdon data shows.  This is quite a bit less.  I verified the chrono with known loads and it is dead on.

I'm getting powder crunch when completing the seating so I don't have much volume left.  Data max shows 75.4.

Anyone run into a similar low velocity showing from 7977 or should I switch to the next faster in the Enduron line, the 4955 and leave the 7977 for 200+ gr loads?

As a comparison, I have been using IMR4350 in 300WM in this same rifle since the late 90s and velocities match expected results.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Is your barrel length comparable to the test gun?  Any other component changes?
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Same bbl length - 24".

Only change from published data is the bullet.  I loaded both 180 Nos BT Hunting and 10 Hornady 180 BTHP.  Both shot within a few feet of each other and 100 lower than published load.

The Hodgdon data is for a SPR MT-SP whatever that is.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Same bbl length - 24".

Only change from published data is the bullet.  I loaded both 180 Nos BT Hunting and 10 Hornady 180 BTHP.  Both shot within a few feet of each other and 100 lower than published load.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same bbl length - 24".

Speer mag tip spire point? Something like that probably.

Check those against ballistics of your bullets. We use Nosler partition 180's. Deadly on anything! Friend took them elk hunting last year.. Way overkill (unless you are shooting at a good distance).

Was accuracy any good? We planned to try 7977 next.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#4]
As for the powder crunch... using a drop tube will help the powder settle better in the case.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:48:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Check those against ballistics of your bullets. We use Nosler partition 180's. Deadly on anything! Friend took them elk hunting last year.. Way overkill (unless you are shooting at a good distance).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same bbl length - 24".

Yes.  Fired in a Ruger M77MKII from the late 90's, 100yd groups while chronoing were slightly under 1 MOA just laying the rifle across a fore-end sandbag in hellish winds.  I have no doubts it would get better if I really tried for accuracy.  Recoil was much less than I expected - far less than a similar rifle in 30-06 shooting the same bullets even 100fps slower.  The -06 loads were with IMR4350.

I am certainly encouraged by this powder.  Mainly wanting to modernize my powders and cut down on all the different powders I have in the house.  I'm at about 100 pounds of various powders now in stick including 8 pounders of common stuff like TG and Universal.  I have found that CFE Pistol does a great job in most of my pistol calibers like 9, 40, 10, and 38 special.

I'd like to get it down to one powder for common pistol like the above, one for open gun 38 Super, one for small rifle like 223, one for 308 class, and one for the big magnums like the 300WM.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As for the powder crunch... using a drop tube will help the powder settle better in the case.
View Quote

Going to go look for one now!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top