Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/11/2013 5:20:27 AM EST
I've been reloading lately with fire-formed Black Hills and Nosler 308WIN brass. I recently ordered some Lapua 308 brass and would like to know how to handle it when I get it. Should I just load it up with some bullets without resizing it and shoot them to fire-form them? Or should I measure a fire-formed case and duplicate its measurements on the Lapua brass during sizing? I just want to make sure I don't shorten the life of this expensive brass by accident.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:00:11 AM EST
Size it, chamfer the case mouth, load it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:07:57 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By steve4102:
View Quote

Should I size it to where the shoulder measurements compare to some of the fire-formed brass I have?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:22:04 AM EST
I have used it for a while , my experience is that while the brass generally is to spec you will find discrepancies with the necks - which will show up when you try seating bullets and your OAL will be all over the place , you will feel the difference when you stroke your press - so I neck size all the new cases now to get consistency - YMMV
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:52:24 AM EST
Originally Posted By dttheliman:
I have used it for a while , my experience is that while the brass generally is to spec you will find discrepancies with the necks - which will show up when you try seating bullets and your OAL will be all over the place , you will feel the difference when you stroke your press - so I neck size all the new cases now to get consistency - YMMV
View Quote

That seems to be the consensus. Thanks, I will do that.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:54:54 AM EST
View Quote

I do this. Neck size and load virgin brass. I chamber check it too.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:01:18 AM EST
I'd drop it in the chamber gauge to determine if it needs sizing or if it's good to go.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:43:00 PM EST

You should full length size and trim if needed, I believe it says so on the box to re size before loading.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:36:52 AM EST
Originally Posted By SWThomas:

Should I size it to where the shoulder measurements compare to some of the fire-formed brass I have?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SWThomas:
Originally Posted By steve4102:

Leave your sizing die set up as if you were going to size your fired brass. Odds are you will not get the shoulder "headspace" (head-to-Datum) the same as your fired/sized brass, cuz "New brass is most likely already shorter than your fired and sized brass. Hard to make it grow in that area.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:19:20 AM EST
Originally Posted By TXN_Infidel:

View All Quotes

I also do this
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:55:08 AM EST
I load Lapua brass right out of the box and I do not do anything to it. It's the best brass I've used. Never even found any necks out of round.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:03:57 AM EST

View All Quotes

This is what I do as well.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:18:15 AM EST
OP on other forum
This will be fired in an AR-10. Just FYI...
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:11:58 AM EST
Originally Posted By 243winxb:
OP on other forum
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 243winxb:
OP on other forum
This will be fired in an AR-10. Just FYI...

Thanks for that!
Top Top