Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 6:20:27 AM EDT
I've been reloading lately with fire-formed Black Hills and Nosler 308WIN brass. I recently ordered some Lapua 308 brass and would like to know how to handle it when I get it. Should I just load it up with some bullets without resizing it and shoot them to fire-form them? Or should I measure a fire-formed case and duplicate its measurements on the Lapua brass during sizing? I just want to make sure I don't shorten the life of this expensive brass by accident.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:00:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Size it, chamfer the case mouth, load it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Should I size it to where the shoulder measurements compare to some of the fire-formed brass I have?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I have used it for a while , my experience is that while the brass generally is to spec you will find discrepancies with the necks - which will show up when you try seating bullets and your OAL will be all over the place , you will feel the difference when you stroke your press - so I neck size all the new cases now to get consistency - YMMV  
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have used it for a while , my experience is that while the brass generally is to spec you will find discrepancies with the necks - which will show up when you try seating bullets and your OAL will be all over the place , you will feel the difference when you stroke your press - so I neck size all the new cases now to get consistency - YMMV  
View Quote

That seems to be the consensus. Thanks, I will do that.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do this. Neck size and load virgin brass. I chamber check it too.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd drop it in the chamber gauge to determine if it needs sizing or if it's good to go.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#7]

You should full length size and trim if needed, I believe it says so on the box to re size before loading.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:36:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Should I size it to where the shoulder measurements compare to some of the fire-formed brass I have?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Leave your sizing die set up as if you were going to size your fired brass.  Odds are you will not get the shoulder "headspace" (head-to-Datum) the same as your fired/sized brass, cuz  "New brass is most likely already shorter than your fired and sized brass.  Hard to make it grow in that area.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:19:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also do this
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:55:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I load Lapua brass right out of the box and I do not do anything to it.  It's the best brass I've used.  Never even found any necks out of round.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:03:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I do as well.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:18:15 AM EDT
[#12]
OP on other forum  
This will be fired in an AR-10. Just FYI...  
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:11:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP on other forum  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
OP on other forum  
This will be fired in an AR-10. Just FYI...  

Thanks for that!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top