Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/9/2015 6:33:02 PM EDT
Beretta 92FS.  Mint condition, maybe 200 rounds through it.

What should I expect on a sale to a gun store?

I would do an online auction, but by the time I pay the fees and the overnight shipping and all the B.S. associated with the shipping, I feel it's far from worth it.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#1]
You almost never get what you paid for a gun, even if it's pristine.  Unless for some reason it's really sought after.  I'm guessing you'd be doing good to get $400.  But I haven't tried to sell anything in a while.

But the arguments you just used to not do it yourself are the same arguments they can use to not give you a lot of money for it.  Your problem becomes their problem and to them that costs money.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You almost never get what you paid for a gun, even if it's pristine.  Unless for some reason it's really sought after.  I'm guessing you'd be doing good to get $400.  But I haven't tried to sell anything in a while.

But the arguments you just used to not do it yourself are the same arguments they can use to not give you a lot of money for it.  Your problem becomes their problem and to them that costs money.
View Quote

$400 sounds really optimistic.

The one thing that they can't argue is that if they sell it out of the store, there's no shipping involved at all.

FedEx overnight is $$$.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#3]
PSA sells Italian trade ins for nothing.   Gonna be hard to get a decent price of then, especially if the new one gets to the market.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I would do an online auction, but by the time I pay the fees and the overnight shipping and all the B.S. associated with the shipping, I feel it's far from worth it.

Thanks.
View Quote

<----FFL
Sell it on the EE.
Find a local dealer to ship it for you via USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Box.
It will be less than half the cost of FedEx Overnight or UPS Next Day.

No dealer in his right mind will give you what YOU think its worth.
BTW....."Mint condition" doesn't describe any firearm with 200 rounds through it..........its a coin collectors term to describe a coin that is exactly as it left the mint (ie no wear).
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote

Wow, not true.

The buyer will pay for shipping and even with the fees you'll be makin far more than a gun store wil give you. Gun stores Ned a profit margin, you'll get anywhere from 50-70 percent of the actual value. A Beretta 92 is also something every gun store has, so you'd be offered even less by a gun store.

Put it up in Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wow, not true.

The buyer will pay for shipping and even with the fees you'll be makin far more than a gun store wil give you. Gun stores Ned a profit margin, you'll get anywhere from 50-70 percent of the actual value. A Beretta 92 is also something every gun store has, so you'd be offered even less by a gun store.

Put it up in Gunbroker.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Wow, not true.

Put it up in Gunbroker.

Have you priced shipping a pistol overnight via UPS? At least $50.00 due to the overnight being the only way they ship firearms.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Have you priced shipping a pistol overnight via UPS? At least $50.00 due to the overnight being the only way they ship firearms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Wow, not true.

Put it up in Gunbroker.

I've never gotten out of the UPS hub for less than $60.00.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#8]
My guess is $200-250 cash (if they think they can turn it fast), $300-325 trade-in value - maybe a little more if you are picking up something premium that has been sitting on the shelves for a while and are paying the rest in cash.  If they pay you much more than that, they would probably be taking a net loss.

(ETA:  No I don't look like Rick or work in a pawn shop!)
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Wow, not true.

Put it up in Gunbroker.

That's something for the buyer to worry about, they usually pay shipping. Certainly not a reason to throw the towel in and sell to a gun store.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#10]
why would it have to be overnight shipping?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#11]
It's not a legal requirement. They choose to do it that way to minimize exposure to employee theft.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is the only way Fedex and UPS will ship a firearm. No other option.

From UPS site:

"....Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms)."

Fedex PDF:

http://www.nraba.org/graphics/Benefits/RevisedServiceMatrix%282%29.pdf
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

From UPS site:

"....Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms)."

Fedex PDF:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From UPS site:

Fedex PDF:

Not a "firearm".  Handguns must go overnight with UPS and FedEx.  Rifles can go any way.  Both handguns and rifles must originate from a hub.  You can's use like a UPS store or give it to a driver.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#14]
The last personal  handgun I shipped went Fed Ex next day air and cost me $72 to ship it back to the factory.

Unless the person shipping it has a commercial account with better rates, who ever is paying for the shipping is gonna get hosed.   In that regard, if I'm contemplating a bid on a firearm from a private party on GB, I pretty much insist they ship it from an FFL on their end.  It does three things for me - it ensures the sale is legal, it ensures my FFL will accept it (because they will not do transfers unless there is an FFL involved on the other end) and it improves the odds of a decent commercial rate for shipping via Fed Ex.

Some sellers refuse those terms, so I just don't bid.  They fail to understand that while there is an additional fee for the FFL on that end, it's almost always more than offset by the reduced shipping costs.

----

Beretta 92FS pistols in excellent condition, with the box, won't sell on GB for anything over $400, so you'll need to be in the $375-$400 range to move it anytime soon.

-----

Gun shops have over head and they are in business to make a profit, so they have to leave themselves some room.  All good Republicans should understand that.

Under ideal circumstances when a shop has another customer that they know would be interested and suspects they can turn it over quickly, they might give you as much as 80% of the price they expect to sell it for.  However 50% to 70% is more likely if they think they'll have to sit on it awhile, and the longer they think it will take to move, the lower the offer will be.  I'd consider 70% of fair market value to be a very fair offer from a gun shop if you're trying to turn a gun into cash.   They'll usually do a little better on a trade, possibly much better if you want another firearm that is not at risk of flying off the shelf anytime soon.   You might also get a bit better percentage if it's a firearm that will be likely to go out the door with accessories such as optics or other goodies that will allow the shop to make more money on the eventual sale.  

But in general…if you plan on 70% of $400, you'll be in the right ball park for an excellent condition 92 FS, as they are not the hot items they were when they were first adopted by the US Military, back when everyone wanted one, and there are a lot of them around on the used market.  Unfortunately, that puts you down around $280.  

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not a "firearm".  Handguns must go overnight with UPS and FedEx.  Rifles can go any way.  Both handguns and rifles must originate from a hub.  You can's use like a UPS store or give it to a driver.
View Quote

1. Not a "firearm"?.........
2. You need to read UPS tariffs before giving advice because yours is incorrect.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

2. You need to read UPS tariffs before giving advice because yours is incorrect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah...no, I think YOU do.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:11:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ah...no, I think YOU do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah...no, I think YOU do.

Alright............please show us where in the UPS tariff it says you can use a UPS Store.
That should be easy.

And ATF and the rest of America will love your explanation of how a handgun is not a firearm.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The one thing that they can't argue is that if they sell it out of the store, there's no shipping involved at all.

FedEx overnight is $$$.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FedEx overnight is $$$.

Yea. Not saying the gun is not worth $400 because it probably is, just not worth $400 to an FFL.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:48:04 PM EDT
[#19]
How much does a new one go for? 550-600$? I'm not sure but that would mean a used one would need to be very cheap to be worth it for the next customer. Think about if the used one is priced at 500 why get used if for 50-100$ more for a new one.

If it was me and my shop I'd be asking around $150-200 (maybe a bit more if it was trading in something in shop or Police Officer trying to build a report from them). I would sell around $300-$350. $500 might get a hit bit very very very unlikely. At $400 you can buy a used Glock and very easy to work on. Let's face it it's not the 90s anymore. It has a very hard market so I would have to buy cheap and sell cheap just for the turn around. I might even sell it for less ($50 over cost) if it meant it left that day (would post on Facebook and see if any takers. )

In your case it might be easier to do a penny saver ad
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Alright............please show us where in the UPS tariff it says you can use a UPS Store.
That should be easy.

And ATF and the rest of America will love your explanation of how a handgun is not a firearm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah...no, I think YOU do.

That should be easy.

I said you CAN'T use a UPS store.

You said "firearm" as if both handguns and rifles were considered the same thing by UPS and FedEx.  They are not.  Different rules apply to each.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:55:59 PM EDT
[#21]
There's a pretty strong second hand firearm market here in PA, particularly if you're around Pittsburg, Central PA, or Philly.
No reason to take an unreasonable haircut.
The forum at PAFOA is a great place to start.
Armslist is a little more dicey, but still effective.  
Even the equipment exchange here can sometimes connect you with a local buyer.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Have you ever heard of Armslist ?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:18:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I said you CAN'T use a UPS store. Actually you wrote "you can's", not "you can't"

You said "firearm" as if both handguns and rifles were considered the same thing by UPS and FedEx.  Wrong again.
They are not.  Different rules apply to each.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah...no, I think YOU do.

That should be easy.

I said you CAN'T use a UPS store. Actually you wrote "you can's", not "you can't"

You said "firearm" as if both handguns and rifles were considered the same thing by UPS and FedEx.  Wrong again.
They are not.  Different rules apply to each.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:19:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Armslist that is so chock full of scammers you only send your enemies there?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Go in a gun shop and see what the used 92's are selling for.  Take 1/2 that should be close to what they offer you.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Go in a gun shop and see what the used 92's are selling for.  Take 1/2 that should be close to what they offer you.
View Quote

This.

Do not trade it in unless getting the most return is not important to you.

Sell it locally.  I am sure there is some type of local classifieds forum for selling firearms.

If you really don't want to ship, you can list it on the EE here, just specify local sale only.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 2:15:08 PM EDT
[#27]
How much Should they give you, OR how much Will they give you?  One is your expectation versus the reality.  IF you received $250, they would be generous. As others mentioned, the 92 series of hand guns are not a demand item like they were 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There's a pretty strong second hand firearm market here in PA, particularly if you're around Pittsburg, Central PA, or Philly.
No reason to take an unreasonable haircut.
The forum at PAFOA is a great place to start.
Armslist is a little more dicey, but still effective.  
Even the equipment exchange here can sometimes connect you with a local buyer.
View Quote

Yeah, when I put a pistol up on the EE here about 3 years ago, it got snatched up pretty quick by a local buyer.  However it was a Glock 19 and it was a decent price.  

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:44:32 AM EDT
[#29]
I had a Beretta 90-TWO in VGC I got rid of a few years ago, best trade-in I could find was $325 credit or $275 cash. Sold it privately for $400.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I had a Beretta 90-TWO in VGC I got rid of a few years ago, best trade-in I could find was $325 credit or $275 cash. Sold it privately for $400.
View Quote

If you brought a 92FS with 200 rounds through it into the shop I work at we would offer you $250 cash or trade.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you're patient you can usually get decent money.

I turned 3 SA XD's (two with holsters/lights) and a Ruger SR9c into 5 Gen 4 Glocks over a 2 month period with multiple trades.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#32]
The 92 market is depressed, its just not the cool kid on the block these days.  Firearms trade in general is down.  Last few show dealers weren't even offering trades unless it was something really desirable.  I've traded a fair number of guns over the years.  Generally I figure 2/3 of a realistic Blue Book price is the norm.  Most dealers around here are sitting on excess inventory.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I would be surprised if you get $300 for it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#34]
I don' think you will get anywhere close to $400.00, even if it was an Elite. You would be lucky to get $300.00. I was at my local dealer when someone came in wanting to trade a M9 version on a SCAR and only got $325.00 and it was mint. Auction, like the others have said, is the way to go. You can set the shipping and the buyer has to pay for it. Try sending it out via a local ffl dealer. Usually they will give you a better deal than you sending it overnight.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#35]
I would try to sell it locally, shops around here are rough on people(I haven't taken a gun to a shop in many years) Armslist does have its drawbacks as all online sales do, but its worth a shot, meet in a public place, demand cash as payment, specify no shipping in your ad and you might come out ahead.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:19:19 AM EDT
[#36]
You will get much more going through Armslist.  I don't understand why people say it is a scam.  Place an ad, state for local sale only.  Local people contact you and you arrange a meeting time and place.  They look at the gun and if it meets their expectations, they give you money.

There are still a lot of people that walk into gun shops and pay $550+ and tax on top of that for Beretta 92s.  If you place your gun up for sale for $500, you will get some lowball offers from some shitbirds, but you will also get offers from $400 to $475. That is way more than a gun shop will give you.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
PSA sells Italian trade ins for nothing.   Gonna be hard to get a decent price of then, especially if the new one gets to the market.
View Quote

but those are the DA only guns and visibly used, right?

For an X-condition FS, I am guessing maybe $350 from a dealer. He is going to put $400 on the price tag in hopes of selling it fast.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You will get much more going through Armslist.  I don't understand why people say it is a scam.......
View Quote

Then you haven't done much research.
Armslist doesn't verify sellers as does GunBroker. Not does it require a valid credit card to register as does GunBroker. This makes it a Craiglist for guns.

Do a search and you'll find hundreds of reported scam ads.
Ads where the scam seller used someone else's photo. And if listing a gun for sale just wait for the dozens of buyers who offer to send you a check or money order for more than your asking price.

Armslist is for cheapskates and scammers.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Armslist doesn't verify sellers as does GunBroker. Not does it require a valid credit card to register as does GunBroker. This makes it a Craiglist for guns.

Ads where the scam seller used someone else's photo. And if listing a gun for sale just wait for the dozens of buyers who offer to send you a check or money order for more than your asking price.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You will get much more going through Armslist.  I don't understand why people say it is a scam.......

My local FFL, who has been around forever and it pretty much Mr. Gun in my county, says the same thing about that stinkhole.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of that matters because the system is designed as a local sales tool.  Why the fuck would you need a verification system when you are going to meet someone in your neighborhood to engage in a transaction?  If something is fake on the site, the person with the ad will refuse to meet for a local sale.  You would have to be a real fucking moron to fall for a face to face scam.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

None of that matters because the system is designed as a local sales tool.  Why the fuck would you need a verification system when you are going to meet someone in your neighborhood to engage in a transaction?  If something is fake on the site, the person with the ad will refuse to meet for a local sale.  You would have to be a real fucking moron to fall for a face to face scam.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Knock yourself out sunshine..........keep them in business and keep the scammers happy.
For local sales there are hundreds of better websites than Armslist.

Too answer your question...........the reason you don't list jack shit on Armslist is:
1. It's a site so heavily populated by scam ads no decent seller would dare put his ad up there.
2. It's a site where a genuine seller is more likely to get moronic offers and scam offers than any other.
3. If you want the most $$$$$ for your sale you sure as fuck don't list guns on Armslist.
4. Only morons use Armslist.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Knock yourself out sunshine..........keep them in business and keep the scammers happy.

Too answer your question...........the reason you don't list jack shit on Armslist is:
1. It's a site so heavily populated by scam ads no decent seller would dare put his ad up there.
2. It's a site where a genuine seller is more likely to get moronic offers and scam offers than any other.
3. If you want the most $$$$$ for your sale you sure as fuck don't list guns on Armslist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since I started thinning out my collection, I sold about $15,000 worth of firearms and firearm related items last year.  I engaged in 38 transactions, and even though I advertised on 3 different boards, all but 6 of them occurred through Armslist ads.  2 were through here, 1 was with a person I used to work for, and 2 were with one of his buddies.  I also purchased 1 firearm using Armslist.

I have had a number of tire kickers, lowballers, and just plain flakes while selling those items, but it is no different than the shitbirds you have to deal with here, or any other site.

Only a complete moron would discount a perfectly legitimate, and FREE, sales tool.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#43]
300 cash

400 trade.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:37:33 AM EDT
[#44]
$250 tops.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:28:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Only a complete moron would discount a perfectly legitimate, and FREE, sales tool.
View Quote

You get what you pay for.
Those of us in the business know that Armslist is for suckers.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since I started thinning out my collection, I sold about $15,000 worth of firearms and firearm related items last year. I engaged in 38 transactions, and even though I advertised on 3 different boards, all but 6 of them occurred through Armslist ads. 2 were through here, 1 was with a person I used to work for, and 2 were with one of his buddies. I also purchased 1 firearm using Armslist.

I have had a number of tire kickers, lowballers, and just plain flakes while selling those items, but it is no different than the shitbirds you have to deal with here, or any other site.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Since I started thinning out my collection, I sold about $15,000 worth of firearms and firearm related items last year. I engaged in 38 transactions, and even though I advertised on 3 different boards, all but 6 of them occurred through Armslist ads. 2 were through here, 1 was with a person I used to work for, and 2 were with one of his buddies. I also purchased 1 firearm using Armslist.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We know you love Armslist.
No need to post the same thing twice.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coming from "someone in the business" with no leg to stand on, and apparently can't stand the competition.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Coming from "someone in the business" with no leg to stand on, and apparently can't stand the competition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a licensed dealer who does 2000+ transfers a year and half a dozen gun shows. I'm not a retail store, nor do I sell on Gunbroker or GunAuction. So your idea that Armslist is some sort of "competiion" is laughable.

Basically, you don't know jack shit about me or the firearms industry.

But keep posting. Your expertise regarding Armslist is quite entertaining.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm a licensed dealer who does 2000+ transfers a year and half a dozen gun shows. I'm not a retail store, nor do I sell on Gunbroker or GunAuction. So your idea that Armslist is some sort of "competiion" is laughable.

Basically, you don't know jack shit about me or the firearms industry.

But keep posting. Your expertise regarding Armslist is quite entertaining.
View Quote

You are the one that looks silly.  You didn't even know that Armslist is supposed to be used for local transactions, unless you use an escrow service.  It states so each time you get an e-mail from someone requesting information on an item you are selling.  Your claim that the ads are mostly scams is just pure uninformed dribble.  I am sure a lot of people here use Armslist with no problem and can see right through your sheer lack of insight.  Not only have I used it with no problems, most of the dealers in my area, to include the two pawn shops that sell a large amount of firearms, use it.  Go ahead and keep flapping your gums.  You are simply looking more and more silly with each additional post.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top