Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2006 11:56:27 AM EDT
Saw a 6.8 M42K on a 16" 5.56 barrel and it produced quite a bit of muzzle flash. I was very supprised.  How much flash are you guys getting with your 5.56 M42Ks?  What barrel length/ammo are you using?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an AAC Ranger on my 11.5" upper and I get zero muzzle flash that I can tell.  I am shooting cheap Remington UMC 55gr.

MadDog
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:17:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I get zero muzzle flash with my 5.56 model and the original A1 type mount.

Perhaps it was because its slightly overbored for the 6.8?

I was wondering this (is it because its overbored?) but I never noticed the flash till it turned night.  Then it was VERY clear there was a baseball sized comet shaped flash coming from the end of the can once it was really dark.  It would be reduced to the level of the Phantom flash hiders light after the oxygen was extinguished but if you waited a few seonds it would flash big again for 2-3 rounds untill the oxygen filled the can again when youd stop firing (4-8 seconds of no shooting) then youd get the big flashes again.

Have you shot your suppressor at night with no lights around?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I get zero muzzle flash with my 5.56 model and the original A1 type mount.

Perhaps it was because its slightly overbored for the 6.8?

I was wondering this (is it because its overbored?) but I never noticed the flash till it turned night.  Then it was VERY clear there was a baseball sized comet shaped flash coming from the end of the can once it was really dark.  It would be reduced to the level of the Phantom flash hiders light after the oxygen was extinguished but if you waited a few seonds it would flash big again for 2-3 rounds untill the oxygen filled the can again when youd stop firing (4-8 seconds of no shooting) then youd get the big flashes again.

Have you shot your suppressor at night with no lights around?

The 6.8 is bored out to .370, so when shooting a .224 sized projectile down the tube, I could see why there would be muzzle flash as the 5.56 can is bored out to .320. There probably wouldn't be any flash from the 7.62 SD with 5.56 because of how frickin long it is.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I shot it at night in an enclosed space - no flash to speak of at all from my perspective as the shooter. Didnt have anyone else around to check it from the sides. I was shooting Fed xm193.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top