Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2008 7:08:25 PM EDT
I was wondering how far you can take a Remington 870 Magnum w/ 26" barrel at the range. And what are good optics to put on them. Are there any photos out there as examples? thanks
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody has ever taken one to the range?
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#2]
What do you mean by "how far can you take it?"
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are wanting to know how far you can "shoot" a 26" 870 at the range, we need to know what load?  Are you wanting to see how far 00 Buck can be shot, are you wanting to know how far slugs can be shot?

If you ask good questions, they seem to get answered quickly, but questions that cannot be deciphered fall off the page quickly.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
If you are wanting to know how far you can "shoot" a 26" 870 at the range, we need to know what load?  Are you wanting to see how far 00 Buck can be shot, are you wanting to know how far slugs can be shot?

If you ask good questions, they seem to get answered quickly, but questions that cannot be deciphered fall off the page quickly.Sorry, thought it was pretty clear... How would a Rem 870 w/ 26" barrel do at 50-100 yards? I dont know much about what ammo to use. So has anyone taken one to the range and how did it do (what type ammo)?
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 10:42:06 PM EDT
[#5]
 I happen to have an 870 with a 26" barrel and your question sucks .hat

So to try and answer your question assuming you have a mod choke and the cheaper wally world ammo. Your Rem 870 w/ 26" barrel would not really hit anything to talk about at 100 yards. At 50 yards your pattern would be crap, but a stray pellet has been known to catch a clay at that distance.

If you want a good answer tell us what ammo and choke tube you have.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:18:27 AM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
 I happen to have an 870 with a 26" barrel and your question sucks .hat

So to try and answer your question assuming you have a mod choke and the cheaper wally world ammo. Your Rem 870 w/ 26" barrel would not really hit anything to talk about at 100 yards. At 50 yards your pattern would be crap, but a stray pellet has been known to catch a clay at that distance.

If you want a good answer tell us what ammo and choke tube you have.

Sorry my question "sucks" and its not to your liking. But This is my first shotgun and I dont know anything about it. I don't know what kind of ammo is good/bad, I dont know what you mean when you talk about choke etc. Thats why I came here.. to learn. But I see you guys don't take kindly to new guys. I just wanted to know what I would need to modify on the gun/ammo to get out to 50-100yards if its possible. Thats why I requested other owners experiences with the REM 870.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:57:08 AM EDT
[#7]
100 yards is going to take a rifled barrel, quality slugs and a scope.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:02:40 AM EDT
[#8]
NYPD,

As far as chokes:

Imagine that the barrel is a long cylinder that is almost equal in diameter for the entire length of the barrel.  In actuality, it's wider at the base and less wide as the end, but that's for another day.

A choke is a nutshell (as far as I understand it) is when your barrel is constricted so that the diameter is lessened.  In other words, "choked".  This affects the pattern of your shot (small balls) coming out of your barrel.  It groups tighter and isn't as spread out.

Do a search on google or this post to find out more.  Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
NYPD,

As far as chokes:

Imagine that the barrel is a long cylinder that is almost equal in diameter for the entire length of the barrel.  In actuality, it's wider at the base and less wide as the end, but that's for another day.

A choke is a nutshell (as far as I understand it) is when your barrel is constricted so that the diameter is lessened.  In other words, "choked".  This affects the pattern of your shot (small balls) coming out of your barrel.  It groups tighter and isn't as spread out.

Do a search on google or this post to find out more.  Hope that helps.

There we go, thats the answer I was looking for hinese
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#10]
1) Go and read this description: shotgun

2) Effective range depends on the application (what you are shooting at) and the ammo you use. If you mean "combat" as your application, then 00 buckshot will be effective out to MAYBE 40 yds if you are lucky, and using slug ammo you should be able to hit a man-size target out to 100yds or more. Beyond 100yds, you would be better off reaching for a rifle. If you mean "bird hunting" or "clay shooting", then you will use birdshot and the effective range will be maybe 50yds (again, depending on choke and load).

Does this answer your question ?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:39:02 AM EDT
[#11]
You really need to choose what your 100yard range will be used for.

Are you trying to shoot ducks/geese?

Are you shooting at deer?

People?

Do you just want to punch holes in paper at 100 yards.

Shotguns are used for many things, so specifying your intended usage will help narrow things quite a bit.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
... If this was your REM 870 w/ 26" barrel.. What would you buy to get yourself out to 50-100 yards with nice groups? As far as type of ammo or any gunsmith work that needs to be done.

If you want your shotgun to be effective beyond 50yds, you will have to use slugs. Slugs basically turn a shotgun into a crude smooth bore "rifle". They are not a particularly elegant solution, and they kick a little harder than typical shotshells, but they are functional. However, if your primary application is to shoot at things in the 50-100yd range, then you may have chosen the wrong gun... you might consider trading in the 870 for a rifle.

Some custom work, such as back boring, can be done on shotguns to incrementally improve their pattern uniformity and range. However, this improvement is only incremental, and will not increase the effective range by more than maybe another 10yds. A gunsmith will not be able to significantly improve this situation, no matter how much $$$ you throw at the problem. Back in the 70s and 80s the US military tried to develop a combat-worthy shotgun to replace the assault rifle and improve hit probability in combat. They tried all kinds of exotic ammo, including flechette rounds, but in the end they concluded that the M16 remained a superior all-around infantry weapon. Google "caws shotgun" for more info.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:23:32 AM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:

People?

Shotguns are used for many things, so specifying your intended usage will help narrow things quite a bit.

All I want to do with the gun is hit paper at the range. 50-100yards max. I'm not planning on hunting with it or anything. Just want to poke some holes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#14]
You have a very open question that is hard to answer based on the details provided that is why people dont know what to tell you. Not that anybody is giving you a hard time they just need more info.

Chokes control the pattern of the shot and can be switched out to best suit your shooting application at any given time

Shot goes from 8 or so being the smallest BBs to 2 being larger BBs.  Then there are BB BBB etc which are also larger shot.  Then there are 00 and such buckshot which is very large BB. Then there are slugs which are 1 solid "BB"

Depending on what you are shooting, typically the lighter loads like a 5-7 dont have alot of distance. They are used for skeet or upland birds 30yds or so away. Go to the 2-4 shot and they are typically used for ducks. BB BBB and such are goose. Buckshot can be used for deer and home defense and have a longer range.  Slug is the most powerful and used for deer/home defense.

I dont know alot about shotguns but thats a very rough outline on it.  for "punching paper" with a shotgun out that far there are alot of variables. like shot, choke, how many bbs you want to hit the target(pattern size) etc.  

EDIT: If your just going to the range with it I guess Id use buckshot as it simulates home defense at least.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Educate yourself.  Buy a box of 7 1/2 birdshot, 10 rounds of buckshot, 10 rounds of slugs.  Go to the range and put up 3 targets at 30 yards.  Shoot two rounds of birdshot at target #1, two rounds of buckshot at target #2, and 2 rounds of slugs at target #3. (Use big targets 2'x3' each on their own stand.) Take a look at your targets.

Now move your targets to 60 yards and repeat.  Do the same at 100 yards.

Your question will be answered.

Have fun, be safe, and keep your action open when going down to look at your targets.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#16]
trade it in on a RUGER 10/22 rifle.

a 10/22 will shoot cheap .22Long rifle ammo into nice little groups at 50 yards.

a shotgun with a 26" barrel is designed to shoot flying birds and pepper them with tiny lead pellets.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

People?

All I want to do with the gun is hit paper at the range. 50-100yards max. I'm not planning on hunting with it or anything. Just want to poke some holes.

If you're wanting to shoot paper, get yourself a rifle.

If you want to do some sport shooting with your shotgun, look into traps or skeet.

With the exception of some specific slug guns, shotguns are not designed to be tack drivers - they're for hitting moving targets, generally airborne, at 10-40 yards with a wide pattern of shot.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Dude. Just go shoot it. I had a scope on side saddle mount, but went with a luminous Bead. With the scope I could shoot skeet, and hit a paper plate at 100. I can do that after practice without it now. 18 inch smoooth bore here. Practice PrPracticePracticeacticePracticePractice

Ps If you want the scope and its mount I will sell it for $30 shipped.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:07:34 PM EDT
[#19]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

People?

If you're wanting to shoot paper, get yourself a rifle.

If you want to do some sport shooting with your shotgun, look into traps or skeet.

With the exception of some specific slug guns, shotguns are not designed to be tack drivers - they're for hitting moving targets, generally airborne, at 10-40 yards with a wide pattern of shot.

Well I already have 2 rifles for paper. I had just seen a few guys at the range last summer with shotguns at the 100yard range. So I figured I'd give a new gun a try, plus never owned a shotgun before.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#20]
OK Here you go I have a remington 870 currently and with the 26" barrel with an imporved choke I can hold 4-5 inch groups with Federal LEO tatical slugs at 50 yds.  not bad for a smooth bore barrel.  It will shoot about 8in with the cheep federal slugs at wally world.  For 100 yds I have a 22in fully rifled barrel and hold 2in groups with lightfeild hybre express slugs at $3 a shot I doubt you will be shooting much of that as that is my hunting setup.  with my 18in barrel  cant hold quite the groups I can with the 26 in barrel but it is not that much worse maybe a 1in larger groups.  But shooting slugs at the range is no where near as fun as shooting sporting clays or bird hunting.  
As for optics I have a side rail that i have set up with a red dot for my 18in barrel.  I have rifle sites on the 26in barrel and a 1.5-4X variable scope on the rifled slug barrel.  Good luck I hope this answers some of your questions.  Please take time to learn your shotgun it is not a rifle and it will never shoot groups like one.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/wlpitbull/P1010119-1.jpg
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 9:57:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top