Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2009 10:13:03 PM EDT
I just tried to do my second batch of 223.  started with 25 cases sized and trimmed.  5 of the cases now have primers jamed in crooked.  So this brings up something i did not think about. How do you dispose of your bent primers?
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 1:39:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Soak the primer in oil to make them inert and dispose.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 2:46:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That is not gonna happen, soaking does not ruin a primer.

Many threads about this have been started, never has anyone come up with a way to kill a primer other than making it go bang.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 5:17:58 AM EDT
[#3]
hit 'em with a hammer
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 5:51:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
hit 'em with a hammer

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:08:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
hit 'em with a hammer

THIS
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:10:40 AM EDT
[#6]
If their not bent bad, I use a knife to grab the edge and pop them back out to reset.
It usually only happens when I've missed cutting a crimp back.

+1   for big hammer    
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:11:26 AM EDT
[#7]
The few I get just go into the regular garbage. Nothing going to happen. Believe me there's far worse things in a landfill.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:51:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 8:03:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Throw them in the trash without batting an eye.

There's no need to call the bomb squad out to your house.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is not gonna happen, soaking does not ruin a primer.

Many threads about this have been started, never has anyone come up with a way to kill a primer other than making it go bang.

Soaking in a sodium carbonate solution works.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 9:06:53 AM EDT
[#11]
That piqued my interest. I'm going to soak 2 primed cases, one in water and the other in oil...for a good 5 minutes or so, let them more or less dry out and then fire them. I'll post results.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 9:37:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
hit 'em with a hammer

If you do this make sure you wear hearing & eye protection.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I would fire them in the empty case chambered in my gun, if it is possible.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#14]
What I do is throw them in my woodstove.

After about 5 seconds, they go pop.

If you throw in several it sounds like popcorn.

Been doing this for about 20 years, no damage to the glass door on the woodstove.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:17:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Been doing this for about 20 years, no damage to the glass door on the woodstove.

Famous last words.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:24:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That piqued my interest. I'm going to soak 2 primed cases, one in water and the other in oil...for a good 5 minutes or so, let them more or less dry out and then fire them. I'll post results.

Been done. They'll go bang.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:25:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I would fire them in the empty case chambered in my gun, if it is possible.

If they were good enough to fire in an empty case, I'd use them to make a live round....

And what would be the point of this anyway?  Seems like a waste of time and effort to me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Famous last words.

How would you know? I doubt you have tried it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#19]
i have no idea
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:44:31 PM EDT
[#20]
<edited out my bad advice>  

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#21]
If they only have a slight impression in them I just seat them totally in finish loading the cartridge and shoot them  If they are heavily damaged I toss them right in the trash, no worries the worst that could happen is they go pop when they get compacted at the dump, no damage will occur.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:59:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If they only have a slight impression in them I just seat them totally in finish loading the cartridge and shoot them  If they are heavily damaged I toss them right in the trash, no worries the worst that could happen is they go pop when they get compacted at the dump, no damage will occur.

Worst case is they go pop when they are compacted and set the trash truck on fire. I'll grant you that the primers going off in the trash are very low probability...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:30:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#24]
take em to the range, throw em in the dummy round bin.  makes it their problem
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#25]
If I ever get one to go in sideways and bends I just run the case back through the decapper/sizer die and start over. In 20+ years of reloading I have never had a primer pop in the decapper. Then the bent primer just goes into the pile of old ones and out to the trash.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worst case is they go pop when they are compacted and set the trash truck on fire. I'll grant you that the primers going off in the trash are very low probability...

You give primers way too much credit, we worry about them igniting all the powder in a tiny brass casing and you give them credit for catching a trash truck on fire  Seriously
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You give primers way too much credit, we worry about them igniting all the powder in a tiny brass casing and you give them credit for catching a trash truck on fire  Seriously

You give primers way too little credit. Their function is to light things on fire and they do it well. I've personally set flame to an old bed sheet with a large pistol primer at the end of a 5 inch .45 ACP barrel while using said sheet to muffle the sound. I'll still agree that the probability of one going of in the trash is very low.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Give'em to the kids and send 'em outside with a magnifying glass, ear plugs, and safety/sunglasses on a sunny day.  It kept my kids entertained all afternoon today.  Told them I wanted all the brass back to throw in the recycle bucket so they didn't leave a mess on the sidewalk.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:22:05 AM EDT
[#29]
I kep a quart plastic motor oil container with about an inch of oil in the bottom.   Just drop them in.
I tried hitting a couple with a hammer yesterday when I saw this thread.  One went off with a mild pop, the other didn't.
Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top