Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2001 3:56:08 PM EDT
.....get the sideplate off a S&W revolver?  It isn't covered in the manual and doesn't simply come off when the screws are removed.

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Getting the sideplate off a S&W is easy once you learn the trick.

Take out the screws(duh,right?) hold gun firmly in one hand and with the other hand, use something like the plastic handle on a screw driver to tap on the grip frame. You want to use sharp tapping action, this vibrates the plate out of the recess without scarring anything up. You may need a lot of hits or it may pop loose with one or two. When it comes loose, lift it off and look at how the hammer block fits on the inside, makes getting it back together lots easier.

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been tapping on this grip frame for quite some time now and haven't been able to move the sideplate at all.  Which part of the grip frame should I tap, the front strap, the back strap, right or left sides?

The sideplate on my M60 has never been removed, so it might just be really tight, but tapping doesn't seem to do anything.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Nevermind, I got it now.  I need to tap very fast.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Now my question is:

How do you get the damn thing back on?
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, Put the hammer block back in place(You did look when you took the cover off,right?) There is a stud by the upper point of the cover. Lay the plate in place, making sure the stud goes into its recess in the frame. Now tap the plate down into place, firm taps, but you shouldn't have to really bang on it. Move around the edges of the plate, tapping, don't hit it in the center, you could warp it. Sometimes you have to tap it MOST of the down, snug the screws down and tap again to get it down and flush with the frame. You should be able to detect where the resistance is and be able to tap at that location.

Are we having fun yet?

Don in Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top