Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2002 8:54:30 PM EDT
Its a pretty deep gouge. Liquid wood? Bondo?
SOL?
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty deep for the wet cloth and iron trick. Plastic wood might make a good match but you'll always know it's there.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#2]
If I use plastic wood should I "dig" the hole deeper before filling it? Anyone got any experience with this type of repair?
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it dented or scratched?  If it is a dent, the wet cloth and iron trick will still do some good.  Reapeated applications can get some pretty big dents out.

I've never used any of the other products so can't help there.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is it dented or scratched?  If it is a dent, the wet cloth and iron trick will still do some good.  Reapeated applications can get some pretty big dents out.

I've never used any of the other products so can't help there.

Deep gouge.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#5]
it's a badge of honor, oil it & forget it till you pass it on to yer grandson, then tell him a Jim Bridger whopper......., thats a bear tooth mark !
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
it's a badge of honor, oil it & forget it till you pass it on to yer grandson, then tell him a Jim Bridger whopper......., thats a bear tooth mark !

LMAO!! For the love of Pete man! Its a camp 9 carbine! My grandson (if I ever have one) will know better than to believe I ever brought a 9mm into bear country! He knows I'm a Ninja and we take on bear with just a leatherman! (watch the gif, the smiley turns into a Ninja)
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I never tried it but I heard about using water to swell the wood up then sanding it even. I think a glass rod was also used. The way I heard was using single drops of water right on the spot you want raised...repeating as necessary then after sanding (or glass rodding) it even you'll need to rematch the stain in that area and finish it.

Or If I don't sell my camp carbine with the original stock I might have a new stock for sale......

John
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 9:33:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Or If I don't sell my camp carbine with the original stock I might have a new stock for sale......

That would work John. Keep me posted, I'll take the stock off your hands.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 10:58:31 PM EDT
[#9]
How are your woodworking skills?

This requires a bit of skill, but it would be the "best" way.

1. Remove the action/barrel.

2 With a very sharp wood chisel, excise a small chunk of wood, slightly bigger than the gouge, from inside the stock (side of barrel bed). this will insure a matching repair.

3. CLEAN the gouge ( maybe make it a little deeper) and match the excised chunk of wood to the gouge.

4. Glue the piece of wood into the gouge...You want a very tight/matched fit w/ the grain going the right way.

5. Sand down to match the stock and refinish.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 10:58:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I would have posted a picture of a brown Sharpie, but they only have pictures of black ones.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I would have posted a picture of a brown Sharpie, but they only have pictures of black ones.

I don't think he wants his Rifle to look like the wall after the kids went crazy with the crayons....
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Really does not look like its beyond the Steam
technique.Wet a cloth till just damp,apply to
wound and touch outer area of cloth with hot iron(cotton setting) to generate steam in/over the area.Go slowly,repeat till no further improvement.set aside to dry and then apply
touch-up pen stain(available at Lowe's, Home
Depot,hardware stores for fixing scratches in furniture).Go slow-apply pen till correct color is reached-use lightest pen color available
to you and darken with repeated coats-not
dark color at first.Worth a try before you
cut/gouge/F-up anything.Its worked on old milsurp  walnut stocks well.Regards
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I wqould just leave it. Unless it is a very valuable gun, and it looks like a 10/22, so I would not worry about it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 6:22:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Duct tape and bailing wire...that'll fix anything.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 6:35:01 AM EDT
[#15]
so...care to tell us how that happened ?  
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 6:43:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Well see, it all started when I heard something out in my garage. My mini-gun was locked in the jeep so I grabbed the camp9 w/30 round mag.
I stepped outside and saw two guys trying to steal my prized marble collection. I fired 30 rounds over their heads as fast as I could pull the trigger. When the smoke cleared they were gone and there were marbles everywhere.
I walked to the garage and leaned the camp 9 up against the wall....and thats when it happened!
It fell over and landed on the electric heater causeing a large gash in the wood stock.
Thats how it happened, every word true.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 6:52:59 AM EDT
[#17]
hey slacker, i work in a furniture store and have had some experience w/ dented, gouged, and even totally blown out wood.  if i were you i would find your nearest furniture repair store and ask for a wood repair crayon (matching the color to your wood, of course).  its a hard waxy crayon that once dry and if applied right will stay forever, and if matched correctly you wont see it unless you know its there.

heres how to apply:
use a lighter, melt it just overflowing into your gouge, use a credit card to flaten and slightly spread the wax blending it w/ your grain, once youve done that youll only see it because its matte instead of gloss, soooo-just use a gloss spray overcoat (like spray paint) and your gun can look as good as new.

thats if your gun stock is worth $10.00'ish and 0.5 hours plus driving of your time. i hope that helped. sean
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I could photoshop that so it looks brand spanking new!

Link Posted: 6/30/2002 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well see, it all started when I heard something out in my garage. My mini-gun was locked in the jeep so I grabbed the camp9 w/30 round mag.
I stepped outside and saw two guys trying to steal my prized marble collection. I fired 30 rounds over their heads as fast as I could pull the trigger. When the smoke cleared they were gone and there were marbles everywhere.
I walked to the garage and leaned the camp 9 up against the wall....and thats when it happened!
It fell over and landed on the electric heater causeing a large gash in the wood stock.
Thats how it happened, every word true.

Wow! Good thing they didn't get all the marbles!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top