Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2010 11:50:49 AM EDT
I have heard a few horror stories about people getting shot through windows, and would like to protect my family as much as I can.  I have beefed up the exterior doors, alarm, cameras, etc..., and would like to bulletproof some windows if possible.  Anyone know of a way to do this without actually replacing the windows?
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Sand bags ... lots of sand bags.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#2]
3m makes a film, sorta like tint that covers it. Ive seen it stop 2x4s in tornado/hurricane force winds and IIRC they make some that will also stop bullets
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 12:05:04 PM EDT
[#3]
armored shutters...on the inside.

They have been working on a film that you put interior and exterior.....that allows for 1 to 2 hits before compromise....but the term "arm and a leg" come to mind.

Don't forget the gunports.......yes I'm being serious.....you can tell the inlaws they are "observation ports".
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#4]
will the walls stop most type of rounds from coming through? though the window i guess is more practical as people like to see what they are shooting at.  except in the case of a drive by or similar.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

will the walls stop most type of rounds from coming through? though the window i guess is more practical as people like to see what they are shooting at.  except in the case of a drive by or similar.

isnt there a external wall test in the box of truth?

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#6]
By calling these people:  Swiss Windows
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
3m makes a film, sorta like tint that covers it. Ive seen it stop 2x4s in tornado/hurricane force winds and IIRC they make some that will also stop bullets

3M security film looks like really good stuff. Relatively bullet resistant and decidedly rock/baseball bat resistant. Unfortunately I don't think it's sold directly to people - the only places I've found that sell it are the "Contact us to discuss your security needs and a quote" type places.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

3M security film looks like really good stuff. Relatively bullet resistant and decidedly rock/baseball bat resistant. Unfortunately I don't think it's sold directly to people - the only places I've found that sell it are the "Contact us to discuss your security needs and a quote" type places.

The 3M Film is intended to stop 2x4's from penetrating past the window, but the glass will still break and shred but will stay together to hold the 2x4. But look at the specs for the 3M Film - its meant for up to Category 1-III winds. 110mph winds are puny compared to the muzzle velocity of a rifle bullet.

You know how fast a rifle bullet travels? 3025fps at 78' from muzzle for M855 5.56 62gr projectile (from http://www.gun-shots.net/ballistics-chart.shtml).

3025 feet per second equates to 2062.5 miles per hour.

I GUARANTEE your 2x4 stud walls covered with vinyl siding or brick and insulated with fiberglass R13 insulation won't stop even a 5.56mm rifle bullet for long. Neither will your thin gauge steel security doors or aluminum storm shutters.

YOUR BEST BET IS DISTANCE TO TARGET (Your House) and an early warning system. Buy land - about 25 acres square and put your house exactly in the middle. If its a square chunk of land, the closest distance from your property line to your house will be 500 yards. Still not far enough for a 7.62 or a 50BMG, but you'll have early warning if you set motion detectors at the property line.

Just a thought. Either way, I really don't think any wood-stud brick veneered house is bulletproof.

Then again... a house built out of 12 inchreinforced concrete will stop everything except a 50BMG.  It stops hurricanes for sure.  I know - I live along the TX Gulf Coast.
Link Posted: 5/18/2010 12:09:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Phonebooks, lots of phonebooks. Seen it on Mythbusters.
Link Posted: 5/18/2010 5:04:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm a commercial glazier and there is no such thing. I've worked on many .gov buildings. Bullet resistant yes, bulletproof no. Bullet resistant glass is many layers of laminated glass with a special 3M film bewtween each layer of glass. Very heavy and very thick, over 2". Also, very expensive.
Link Posted: 5/18/2010 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Plus one on the idea that bullet proof windows are a waste of time if the walls are typical stud and drywall construction.  They are at best concealment, not cover, and drapes and/or dark or reflective window tinting will provide the same concealment advantage with your windows for very little money.

Brink and cinder block walls are a little better as, depending on the actual contruction, it may take a couple rounds of the lighter calibers in one spot to eat through them.  But consistent with what is noted above, there is nothing on the average residential block that can protect you from a 50 BMG - except maybe a nice deep hole.
Link Posted: 5/19/2010 6:00:19 AM EDT
[#12]
If you're worried about a random "natives getting restless" shot coming through your window, pay for the expensive glass and forget ever opening your windows, because you won't be able to, or...   Save yourself money in the long run, buy some piece of mind and move to a neighborhood that isn't in close proximity to said natives.  The best bulletproofing is not being there when the bullets start flying.  You could theoretically back up your glass windows with many many layers of laminated lexan, but again, it won't look normal and you won't be able to open your windows.  

If you're worried about a major SHTF, then bullet resistant shutter's would be the way to go, but you'll need a heavy frame to support that kind of steel on every window.
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm a commercial glazier and there is no such thing. I've worked on many .gov buildings. Bullet resistant yes, bulletproof no. Bullet resistant glass is many layers of laminated glass with a special 3M film bewtween each layer of glass. Very heavy and very thick, over 2". Also, very expensive.

Like he said I took a piece of bullet resistant window that was 4 inches thick and shot it with my AK47 at 75 yrds and it zipped right through it
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm certified to install safety films and the thickness and amount needed would be insane.  Stop a baseball/ rock $10+ per square foot. Bullet Idk where to even start.
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
armored shutters...on the inside.

They have been working on a film that you put interior and exterior.....that allows for 1 to 2 hits before compromise....but the term "arm and a leg" come to mind.

Don't forget the gunports.......yes I'm being serious.....you can tell the inlaws they are "observation ports".

From 3M's website:

"No, 3M™ Scotchshield™ Ultra Films are not hurricane-proof, earthquake-proof, bullet-proof, bomb-proof, nor burglar-proof. Again, they are designed to make the window glass more shatter-resistant."

If you want to protect against rifle bullets and still be able to see out of the windows, it takes some pretty substantial stuff.  It's not going to fly under the radar.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#16]
What about a few inches of Lexan?
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 8:27:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What about a few inches of Lexan?

It would work, but Lexan will scratch easily, and will discolor and deteriorate over time when exposed to UV(sunlight) radiation.  Bullet resistant glass is not really a reality in residential construction unless you're a head of state, head of a major company, or head of a major crime syndicate.

ETA  One important thing about BR glass, and windows that don't open.  A residential fire is much more likely than a bullet coming through your window, unless you're one of the above mentioned "heads", and if a bullet can't get it, neither can a firefighter.  If a firefighter can't get in, then you can sure as shit bet that you won't be able to get out.  You'd need a professional installation of the glass with some sort of latch that would allow you to push out the panel as an escape route, and more money.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone seriously concerned about being shot in their home through a window needs to:

1) MOVE

2) Hire a full-time 24x7 security team

Anything else is just silly... Anyone who has ever played around shooting various thicknesses of mild STEEL with any rifle knows there is no way to harden a typical residential house from a real attack.

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anyone who has ever played around shooting various thicknesses of mild STEEL with any rifle knows there is no way to harden a typical residential house from a real attack.

Not true.  Just because it's impracticable to armor your windows doesn't mean that you have to settle for living in the typical American POS match-stick house.  Concrete is a perfectly viable option for a home, and will generally stop (depending upon thickness) most incoming rounds in small quantities, or large quantities if the impacts aren't all concentrated in one spot.

The wise patriot knows what is country does well ... and things that it fucks up by the numbers.  The USA fucks up home construction by the numbers.  Period.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Thick concrete without windows would be good but the whole premise is flawed. If you have armed men who are hunting you then you're likely dead without a 24x7 security detail.

What's the point of building and living in a concrete bunker when you still have to go to the store to buy food?

We've all got finite money to spend. Spend it where it makes sense.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thick concrete without windows would be good but the whole premise is flawed. If you have armed men who are hunting you then you're likely dead without a 24x7 security detail.

What's the point of building and living in a concrete bunker when you still have to go to the store to buy food?

We've all got finite money to spend. Spend it where it makes sense.

I grew up in Saudi Arabia from when I was 5 until I was 14 years old... all of the houses there are poured concrete walls, around 10-12" thick.

It helps with the insultation too by keeping the houses cooler during the day and warmer at night.  Remember a desert has BOTH extremes, not just heat.

I have plans to use large amounts of concrete on my home in a few years when I build my land.  

Semper Fidelis,

Kent
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What's the point of building and living in a concrete bunker when you still have to go to the store to buy food?  [T]he whole premise is flawed.

You misunderstood me!  

It isn't financially feasible to live inside a perfectly armored bunker.  However, it is quite feasible to ensure that your home represents cover rather than merely concealment.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:10:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The 3M Film is intended to stop 2x4's from penetrating past the window, but the glass will still break and shred but will stay together to hold the 2x4. But look at the specs for the 3M Film - its meant for up to Category 1-III winds. 110mph winds are puny compared to the muzzle velocity of a rifle bullet.

You know how fast a rifle bullet travels? 3025fps at 78' from muzzle for M855 5.56 62gr projectile (from http://www.gun-shots.net/ballistics-chart.shtml).

I GUARANTEE your 2x4 stud walls covered with vinyl siding or brick and insulated with fiberglass R13 insulation won't stop even a 5.56mm rifle bullet for long. Neither will your thin gauge steel security doors or aluminum storm shutters.

YOUR BEST BET IS DISTANCE TO TARGET (Your House) and an early warning system. Buy land - about 25 acres square and put your house exactly in the middle. If its a square chunk of land, the closest distance from your property line to your house will be 500 yards. Still not far enough for a 7.62 or a 50BMG, but you'll have early warning if you set motion detectors at the property line.

Just a thought. Either way, I really don't think any wood-stud brick veneered house is bulletproof.

Then again... a house built out of 12 inchreinforced concrete will stop everything except a 50BMG.  It stops hurricanes for sure.  I know - I live along the TX Gulf Coast.

With the motion sensors you have a problem with wildlife. easily set off.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:26:31 AM EDT
[#24]
I understand the premise; someone may shoot at what they can see. But to be practical, you must limit the bullet proofing to what is absolutely necessary.

Think about adding a slab of Lexan in a room, the one most likely to be under fire's existing windows(such as the master bedroom), on the inside of one window, hinged, (for escape or so you can open the windows), and only on the lower half.

Then add armor in the wall below the windows- give yourself a protected space. You can do this just in just 1 or 2 rooms.

Keep low!

Remember to add a port you can fire through to shoot back!

Sorry about the convoluted grammar of my run-on sentences.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

you need to check your math.  if you have a 25 acre square, it would not even be 500 yards long, let alone 500 yards from the edge of the property line to the house, if the house was in the middle of the property.  1050'x1050' would approximately equal 25 acres, which wouldn't be enough to stop a good shooter.  owning a square mile (640 acres) would be the better way to go.

as somebody mentioned above, early warning systems are going to be hampered by wild life.

a monolithic dome is approximately 8" thick concrete.  a guy decided he wanted to see how bullet proof it was and shot it w/ his .30-06.  iirc, it did not penetrate more than a few inches.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Joel Skousen's book, 'The Secure Home' is a great read if you are wanting to harden your home.

Just as an example: He suggests putting gravel in your walls to bullet proof them. Very simple & cheap.

I tried the suggestion by building a small mock 2x4" studded wall & putting plywood on both sides. A friend shot it with multiple 7.62x39 & .308 rounds at 10 yards away & none penetrated. I dumped the thing & sorted through the gravel & could only find very small traces of copper jacketing - the bullets just disintegrated. It seems this may work better than solid concrete, because the cement shatters & chips away. The gravel gives, then settles lower to fill the void & be ready for the next shot. He suggests steel studs if you are doing new construction, as there won't be the weakened voids of the wood 2x4's.

He suggested trying the same thing in hollow cored doors, but hadn't tried it himself at the time. I keep meaning to, but haven't either.

I read a suggestion by Col. Cooper to use barred windows, instead of solid ones so you could return fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top