Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2004 6:54:08 AM EDT
I picked up a used barrel for my Remington 1100.  It is the 21" RemChoke with the rifle sights in Matte Finish.  It has a little bit of rust (mainly on the sights), so I'd like to remove the sights, refinish the barrel and put a bead sight on it.  
I've pretty much figured out how I want to do everything else, but I'm not sure what the best way would be to get the sights off.   Does anybody know how they are attached?

Anybody done this before or have any suggestions?

Thanks
Mike
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:36:58 AM EDT
[#1]
The factory sights are brazed on.

These don't come off without a LOT of trouble.

There are two methods:

One is to heat the barrel with a torch until the area turns dull red, the braze melts and the sight can be pushed off.

The second is to cut the sights off with a hacksaw and file the stubs down flush.

I really don't like heating barrels that hot, especially back near the chamber area, but if you do it this way, use a big enough torch that you can heat it up QUICK, and allow it to cool ON IT'S OWN.  
DO NOT dip in water or otherwise cool it.

A standard propane torch WILL NOT get things hot enough, fast enough.  Most of the small home-type torches won't.

You can use Heat-Stop paste or wet rags wrapped around the barrel to help limit the spread of the heat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top