Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2012 10:01:14 PM EDT
So I took apart a FN SCAR 16s looking for US markings on parts for 922r compliance just because I was curious about how they were able to import them. It had a belgian proofed barrel and none of the other parts have markings other than the receiver which is marked Belgium as well. What if any parts are US made and how can one tell?

The lowere has a pin that goes into the front left of the mag well and was machined to clear a magazine. If my anaisys is correct the pin origionally extended into the mag well to prevent a mag from being inserted and then was machined away once in the US so that the mag could be inserted properly. Is this assessment correct? If not then what am I looking at?
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 12:52:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What if any parts are US made and how can one tell?

The lowere has a pin that goes into the front left of the mag well and was machined to clear a magazine. If my anaisys is correct the pin origionally extended into the mag well to prevent a mag from being inserted and then was machined away once in the US so that the mag could be inserted properly. Is this assessment correct? If not then what am I looking at?

I don't know either.....  I wonder if the American M16 mags (3 parts) are requirements to be 922r compliant??  Who knows?

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 1:04:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Sporting Rifle?
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 2:11:12 AM EDT
[#3]
There is no requirement to mark 922(r) parts in any particular/special way.

I don't know about the SCAR specifically, but if any 922(r)s are required, you have to assume they are there.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 2:37:34 AM EDT
[#4]
The SCAR is classified as a sporting rifle before it enters the US.  It will not accept a magazine and is single shot.  The conversion is done inside the US, with the appropriate US parts.  Before these enter the US, they could hardly be considered an effective firearm.  If you look inside the magwell of a civilian SCAR, you can see where they machined the magazine block away.  This block is not found on SCAR destined for other countries or .mil use.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 11:51:37 PM EDT
[#5]
At least FN is trying, although it would be nice if they were bloody cheaper.  But HK, man they go out of there way to dork up the guns for importation.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 5:50:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
At least FN is trying, although it would be nice if they were bloody cheaper.  But HK, man they go out of there way to dork up the guns for importation.

It's not HK, it's German munitions export law that dictates the lame features. HK would just love to return to the 1980s if they could, but it's just the law. We're lucky the MR556 isn't ruined by this.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I still wonder what the deal is with the apparent lack of USA markings on what should be 922r is.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I still wonder what the deal is with the apparent lack of USA markings on what should be 922r is.

There is no requirement to have 922(r) compliance parts marked.  922(r) is a disaster.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 4:53:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

There is no requirement to have 922(r) compliance parts marked.  922(r) is a disaster.

So without incriminating ones self, how could ATF successfully convict anyone of a 922(r) violation?

ETA:  Not that i'm disagreeing with you.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

So without incriminating ones self, how could ATF successfully convict anyone of a 922(r) violation?

They certainly could.  It really wouldn't be that difficult to determine if a part is OEM or aftermarket.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 4:11:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

They certainly could.  It really wouldn't be that difficult to determine if a part is OEM or aftermarket.

Wouldn't it be the burden of the .gov to prove that the non-marked part was in fact made outside the US?
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 7:07:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wouldn't it be the burden of the .gov to prove that the non-marked part was in fact made outside the US?

The 922r violation would be in the act of assembling such a firearm, but as part of such a trial they would indeed need to establish that the gun was assembled in violation and that you in fact did it. Proving that the parts were OEM imported would be fairly easy. The parts won't be exactly the same; geometry, metallurgy and finish will all be different.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is no requirement to have 922(r) compliance parts marked. 922(r) is a disaster.

ETA: Not that i'm disagreeing with you.

They certainly could. It really wouldn't be that difficult to determine if a part is OEM or aftermarket.

The 922r violation would be in the act of assembling such a firearm, but as part of such a trial they would indeed need to establish that the gun was assembled in violation and that you in fact did it. Proving that the parts were OEM imported would be fairly easy. The parts won't be exactly the same; geometry, metallurgy and finish will all be different.

The crime is to assemble it, not to posses it. So, yes the Feds would have to prove you assembled it. They would also have to prove you knew the parts were not US parts unless you were dumb enough to blurt it out or they railroaded you with a lazy Federal judge that assumes you're guilty and gags your defense.

Barring some super science CSI nonsense, I can't tell a TAPCO hammer for an AK from Chinese / Hungarian / Bulgarian / East German / Romanian (etc) hammer - unless it says "TAPCO USA" on it. Maybe the FBI crime lab can determine that this is made from steel produced in the Soviet Union in 1972 and this is made from steel made in Japan in 2001.

I have a US-made (supposedly) Tantal brake and the brake that came with my Tantal kit.  They are identical - the US-made one is unmarked but has a nice finish and the Polish one is worn.

And since the BATFE has never hauled Joe Sixpack off the street because his WASR-10 has the wrong stock on it the courts have never addressed it. 922(r) is a enforcement disaster - especially when assemble / manufacture is thrown in the mix.

The BATFE is currently having to explain what manufacturing is versus conversion, etc. in US v. Clark.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top