Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/1/2005 6:34:27 PM EDT
Looking for some advise on a good home defense round...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:19:15 PM EDT
Hornady or federal 00 buck low recoil.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:34:54 PM EDT
Federal Classic No. 1 buck results in the most devestating wound and the least pellet deformation.

Shotgun Pellet Wound Ballistics
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:41:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:55:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ardenner:
Federal Classic No. 1 buck results in the most devestating wound and the least pellet deformation.

Finally, I didn't have to be the first with the correct answer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:10:12 PM EDT

great article
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:20:08 PM EDT

+1

I practice with 00 since it's less expensive and more readily available, but have the #1 for self defense.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:20:17 PM EDT

Very good info there! Thanks for the link!

` 45
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:06:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2005 6:08:24 PM EDT by DasRonin]
As much as I despise the politically correct reduced recoil 00 buck shot. I have to say the Remington version can do head shots at 15 yards consistently out of a 20 inch full choke barrel.

I think it would do well and pattern perfectly for inside use, without over doing it.

Personally... I prefer the magnum loads and the "wasp waist" style sabot slugs. A shot gun is supposed to kick when fired!!! If you can't deal with it... don't shoot one!!!

However... I have learned to tolerate the reduced recoil stuff as the patterns thrown have dramatically improved over the years since it was introduced. ...and I have been forced to buy the stuff, learning to adapt to what I have to use.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:08:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:36:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2005 6:37:19 PM EDT by Ardenner]

Originally Posted By 45JHP:

Very good info there! Thanks for the link!

` 45

To be fair it was another member that posted this article originally, but you are welcome. The only problem is that No. 1 Buck can be hard to find, and it is a bit more expensive especially if you have to pay for shipping (as noted above). I also think it is valuable that the article mentions that magnum actually means lower velocity when referring to shotgun ammunition. I suspect not very many people know that outside “shotgun discussion.”

If there are any machinists here it would be really cool if someone could develop a duckbill choke that screwed into a Benelli M1 S90 just like any other choke for No.1 Buck.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:15:02 PM EDT
The main advantage of a Shotgun is versatility. Mine "wears" rubber buckshot, rubber slugs, AA trap loads, OO buck, Slugs and even a flare. Between the sling, side saddle, elastic butt cuff and the bandoleer, I have a couple of almost every one of the options. Basically, when I grab my SG I am prepared for most everything from pitbulls to insurrection..
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:19:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By barrysuperhawk:
The main advantage of a Shotgun is versatility. Mine "wears" rubber buckshot, rubber slugs, AA trap loads, OO buck, Slugs and even a flare. Between the sling, side saddle, elastic butt cuff and the bandoleer, I have a couple of almost every one of the options. Basically, when I grab my SG I am prepared for most everything from pitbulls to insurrection..

This most certainly deserves a posted picture with arrows and text!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:26:20 AM EDT
I am just slow to change but I have a box of #2 shot High Brass 12-ga shells that are 2 3/4 and they are still the rounds I keep with the 870. I also have some 00 buck but I am not comfortable shooting OO inside the house but from many years of hunting with #4 and #6 highbrass loads at Fox and birds I have a good deal of respect for what lots of nasty pellets can do and #2 is still some good sized hunks of lead flying at one's face....

I may need to look for some #1 buck however as my old #2 shells might be better off being retired...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:29:44 PM EDT
Whichever 00 or 000 load your shotgun patterns the best with. Federal Tactical and Hornady Tap would be a good place to start.

Most of the #1 buck loads use too soft of a shot for reliable penetration. So you got to buy the Super X copper plated loads at about $5.00 a box. Then note the increased recoil and muzzle flash of that load vs TAP or Fed Tac Load.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:31:24 PM EDT
It would be a good idea to read everything at this website too.

www.tacticalshotgun.ca/ballistics_shotgun.html
Top Top