Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 7:04:06 PM EDT
Two questions for ya:

1) What do you load your SG with for max effectiveness without over penetration (ie walls)?

2) Where do you keep your SG so that it's handy but safe from small hands (and don't tell me an IWB holster because I won't believe you! )

-YJ
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#1]
1) I load it with 00 but I don't have as much concern with overpenetration because it's just me and my girlfriend. A lot of people like #1 buck but if you have a real concern, I'd go with #4 which is also talked about frequently.

2) When I do have the niece and nephews over for game night, the gun stays in the safe until bed time. The only way I can get around that is to use a pistol IWB or other weapons. Other being bats, hatchets, what have you.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:12:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  I guess all major manufacturers are just about equal?  (Meaning Winchester, Remington, Federal)  Do you have a favorite?  And are 3" mags necessary?  Thanks again.

-YJ
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Try em all to find the one that patterns the best for your gun.  It's pretty much the only way with shotguns.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:43:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Try the low recoil or "Tactical" loads, I dont know of any reason for 3" unless your hunting..
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:49:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I like the regular 2 and 3/4" buck loads - they're plenty controllable, yet less expensive than the "tactical" stuff... Also, I agree with FNG - 3" shells are only good for hunting, IMO -and not even all that suited for all types of that... For example, many professional bear hunting guides use a 12ga Pump loaded with 2 and 3/4" OO buck - they say that 2 and 3/4" shells feed more reliably, and at "contact distances", is every bit as lethal as 3 inchers... I prefer Federal and Winchesters - but most brands have shot fairly well for me... For the money, a case of Wolf is tough to beat, IMO...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:17:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Great info! Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks!  I guess all major manufacturers are just about equal?  (Meaning Winchester, Remington, Federal)  Do you have a favorite?  And are 3" mags necessary?  Thanks again.

-YJ

No. As far as turkey or large game hunting, maybe.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I got some cheap Federal 2 3/4" 6 shot the stuff thats less than $3 a box. I know people might prefer more but in my cramped apartment my longest shot is gonna be about 20 feet at very most. I dont care how tough you are if you get a 12 gauge shot gun blast from 10 feet away to the chest even with 6 shot your gonna stop doing whatever you were doing. Plus I got 7 more where that came from.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:05:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Well said, thedukeryan..........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top