Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2003 4:27:21 PM EDT
I'm in the market for a .308 battle rifle and I've been trying to choose between the M1A and the FAL. (yea, I know I'm not the only one)

I've seen alot of nice M1A's on the EE but not many FAL rifles. I just priced out a SA58 and I was really suprised that they are more than a SA M1A.

What makes the SA58's so expensive? Anyone who owns one care to comment?
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#1]
SA58's can be had for oh.. on the low side about $1200, depending on configuration up to about $1700 I suppose. Don't let the DSA's list prices shock you, no one is selling them for that!
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#2]
May I also suggest the AR-10? Damn fine rifle, perhaps the most accurate .308 made today.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#3]
May I also suggest the AR-10? Damn fine rifle, perhaps the most accurate .308 made today.

Ditto! Anyway you can have a FAL made out of a good to new part kit and come out alot cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I shot Shivan's AR-10 at the BRD.

That was one nice rifle, accurate, reliable and the recoil was manageable and I'm a buck fifty soaking wet.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a DSA SA58 carbine that I paid about $1200 for.  I bought the DSA over a parts kit  because I was told by a friend that I wouldn't be dissapointed.  I mounted a leupold 3-10 power tactical scope with mark 4 rings on a DSA heavy duty scope mount.  After proper break in it shoots 3 shots at 100 yards under 1".
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#6]
...with Federal GMM 155's.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#7]
They're pricey, but I've lusted for one a long time. If I could pony up the money I'd snap one up in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm in the market for a .308 battle rifle and I've been trying to choose between the M1A and the FAL. (yea, I know I'm not the only one)

I've seen alot of nice M1A's on the EE but not many FAL rifles. I just priced out a SA58 and I was really suprised that they are more than a SA M1A.

What makes the SA58's so expensive? Anyone who owns one care to comment?

Though I'm admitedly the least knowledgable on the subject ( the other thread is me ) you could check out DSA's STG58 for a good bit less.  As I understand it they are built from some Austrian parts which keeps the price down.

- Nw -
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 2:53:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Guys, I said I'm looking for a .308 battle rifle. The AR-10 may be a fine rifle, but a battle rifle it ain't (yet).

Hi price of and lack of hi cap mags is a real downer when it comes to the AR-10. I know M1A mags aren't exactly cheap so I'm leaning twards the FAL.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:21:52 AM EDT
[#10]
DSA FALs are some of the smoothest, most beautifully made Ive ever seen.  Ive handled FN pre-bans that werent as nicely put together.

A DSA Congo will be in my safe one day.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Slacker, M1A's are fine rifles, but you're correct as to mag prices; surplus FAL metric mags are going for under 5 bucks all over the internet...

To me, to get an M1A that's the equivalent of an SA58 (or even DSA's STG-58), you'd be probably right around equivalent dollars.  Current production springfields supposedly use very few, if any, surplus USGI parts; most have (again, supposedly) been replaced with molded metal parts.  I'm betting an M1A with USGI (TRW) parts will be a price wash with the DSA guns, assuming you can find one.

I missed out on Steyer AUG's group buy of STG-58's due to a prior committment regarding last year's tax bill...once I unburied myself from that mess, I was able to get some bucks together for an STG-58.  Dealer price, delivered, was $815 and my local kitchen-table ffl did the transfer for another 10 bucks.  It's a BEAUTIFUL rifle and shoots just as well.

If you can find somebody local who'll do the transfer, I'd recommend it very highly.  Somebody posted a couple months ago that if they'd had an FAL before their AR, they might not have bought the AR.  I'm to the point of shopping FAL kits & putting a second and third one together.  One will definitely have the Congo barrel.  I'd say 'go for it'.

IM me if you have questions.

-hanko
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Guys, I said I'm looking for a .308 battle rifle. The AR-10 may be a fine rifle, but a battle rifle it ain't (yet).

Please don't tell the military personnel from three countries that believe the AR-10 is not a battle rifle. (now)
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please don't tell the military personnel from three countries that believe the AR-10 is a battle rifle. (now)

Yea, but they can have 20 rd mags. Being able to aquire hi caps is important to me, especially in a battle rifle. What are non LEO hi caps for the AR-10 going for these days?
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Hi price of and lack of hi cap mags is a real downer when it comes to the AR-10. I know M1A mags aren't exactly cheap so I'm leaning twards the FAL.

I'm guessing you know the AR-10 uses M1A mags? $20-50 apiece.

I'll take accuracy over mag cost any day.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some bright guy posted the following:  Only accurate guns are interesting.

Wish I could remember who so I could give credit.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I know they take M1A mags. I've seen alot of Winchester M1A mags on the EE latley and they don't look so good compared to the $5 FAL mags.
I need a battle rifle that is capable of MOC (min. of communist), I'm not interested in MOA from a primary battle rifle.
I want a Glock type rifle...reliable as hell, will feed any ammo, and accurate enough to hit a torso sized target at the max effecive range of the ammunition. (cost also comes into play).
I'll probably hold out for a USGI pre ban M1A and start buying mags beforehand...but those FALs sure do catch my eye.
The easy solution is to get one of each and sell the least reliable one....
I think I just spent this years tax return.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 12:30:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Some bright guy posted the following: Only accurate guns are interesting.

Some bright guy has never shot full auto or blasted away at a computer monitor with a shitty $300 AK at close range.  Wish you could remember who so I could slap him upside his fucking snobby head.

P.S. FAL is the once and future king.  I'd never trade mine for an M1a, although I want both of course.  Mag price is nice but isn't really why the FAL is superior.  IM me if you want to talk about it, I'm too tired and cranky to post a long winded review right now.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:08:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:16:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:25:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Ryan, I have an STG58C. I put the extreme duty scope mount, used #22M's and a 2-7 Leupold. You can see through the slots in the 22M's to use the sights and pop your head up slightly and use the scope.
With the brake, it stays right on target and the scope aids in longer shots. If you think the Ycomp is loud, you should hear this puppy!
DSA  usually makes these when they get an order, I had to wait four weeks for mine. So if you wanted a slightly longer barrel with a brake I'm sure they will make it. Last time I went to Pungo with it, the range guy offered to buy me a silencer.

You won't be disapointed!

Take it however you like, some guns are good for the matches and some the field you decide on what you want to do with it. And contrary to what you hear-those Armalites couldn't, wouldn't DIDN'T cut it in the desert.

Mark
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:45:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:51:42 AM EDT
[#23]
NO offense, but I know it's true and can't say how I know. You won't see a link for this one.

Onthe M1A's I understand that there some mods like using certain G.I. parts to make them more reliable.

Mark
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 3:09:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 4:17:47 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm just steering Slacker in the right direction for what he wants.
Guns are tools each one is designed for a purpose.

Mark
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some bright guy posted the following:  Only accurate guns are interesting.

That would be Col. Townsend Whelan.

Thanks "raf".  (Credit where credit is due.)
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Slacker, I picked up a standard M1A last month which has USGI parts, great shape, with extras, for 1K. Excellent shooter. You can't go wrong with an M1A or a "quality" FAL like a DSA. I have an SA58 carbine as well. Both are good, and have points to recommend them. And I think you are spot on with the AR-10. Too damn many mag related problems are continually reported on this site, both feeding and, in my case, mags dropping out of the mag well under recoil.

An accurate rifle IS interesting, but only if it goes "bang" each and every time you pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 11:56:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't buy the SA58, Buy the STG-58, I Had DSA build me one with a Type 1 rec., Chrome lined Argie barrel cut to 18.5in
(A Zero cost option) less than a year ago for About $900 including the transfer fee; The gun if looks as good as the SA58 & Functions perfectly. When compared to my Pre Ban FN FAL I like The DSA better!
I like The DSA type 1 receiver, It looks better than the type 3 on the FN gun.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 7:38:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a SA58 carbine. The mags are a hell of a lot cheaper than an AR10.

Does it shoot? Hell yeah! I've put three rounds touching at 100 yards, the gun was sand bagged on a bench, using the iron sights.

Great gun, you wont go wrong if you get one.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 8:36:10 AM EDT
[#31]
www.ohiorapidfire.com

I have their 500 dollar parked FAL.

Everyone still thinks it is a DSA when I pull it out.  Yes, it really is that nice.  

Get it gun-koted for 700 dollars, and dont look back.  It will have the "looks" of the DSA, and perform just as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top