Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2002 7:20:45 PM EDT
This is my first on putting together a AR from
ground up. First, I found a pre-ban Bushmaster
stripped lower went to install lower parts and found that there is no hole to install the bolt catch roll pin (not there at all). Looking at the marks on the lower it looks like parts have been there at one time. The person that had sold me the lower is a ffl holder. I did get a signed in enk letter stating "I am a witness that the lower receiver were, in fact sold and manufactured as a complete firarm prior to September 1994." What is up am I missing somthing here or what. Please tell me I didn't get screwed.  Thanks  [>(]    
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I cannot answer the question about the missing hole. All I can offer is this:

Bushmaster 800-998-SWAT
Below L051000 - Assembled Pre-Ban Rifles and some pre-94 lowers.**
L051001-L063000 - Mixed Pre-Ban Assembled Rifles and Pre-Sept 94 Lowers (Call to verify)
L063001 and Up - Post-Ban
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Just sent you plan's on the receiver for the hole placement.

As for the receiver, has the receiver been painted or refinished and the hole is drilled, but just covered. If not, them you should be able to send the receiver back to bushmaster to have them drill the hole.  

As far as the letter that you receive from the dealer, I would want a little more than that if I went to court.  What you need is a bill of sale for the completed firearm that shows that it was assembled before the ban or a letter from Bushmaster stating the the rifle was assembled as a complete rifle before the ban. Remember, even if the receiver was produced before the ban, It had to be a completed rifle too or your rifle is a post-ban.  The only thing you have now is a stripped receiver that was sold after the ban.

What I find strange is the fact that pin was never drilled.  I don't believe  that bushmaster would have sent a completed rifle out without the bolt catch. And, had the rifle been assembled before now, surely someone would have sent it back to be repaired.

Your best bet is to contact bushmaster and find out the info on the receiver.

Here is a list of their receivers in regards to pre/post ban.

Bushmaster 800-998-SWAT
Below L051000 - Assembled Pre-Ban Rifles and some pre-94 lowers.**
L051001-L063000 - Mixed Pre-Ban Assembled Rifles and Pre-Sept 94 Lowers (Call to verify)
L063001 and Up - Post-Ban

P.s. If it does turn out that the receiver is a post ban, then you can get your money back.  With the letter that he signed, you have him by the short hairs.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#3]
That was kinda what I was thinking too. Damn thing about it I still have his money. (he was
supposed to ship it cod and didn't, shipped it
standard). Man that sucks had all the parts here
or ordered. Well, shit fire and save the matches..... Thanks
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Contact BM and verify the lowers preban status.
If it is "preban" then see if they can fix your problem? If so, have them do it. Take that "charge or fee" out of your purchase price and pay the FFL that for the lower.
Let us know what happens.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:04:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I did email bushmaster on the matter hope they
send a reply soon. I did email the person who
is trying to sale me this lower he is trying to tell me that a lower has to be at least 80%
complete before the 94 ban. I'm sure bushmaster
will clear it up.
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:24:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:24:24 AM EDT
[#7]

I did get a signed in enk letter stating "I am a witness that the lower receiver were, in fact sold and manufactured as a complete firarm prior to September 1994.

This statement most likely means your going to find out from Bushmaster that the lower was shipped from the factory as a complete lower not a complete rifle.

Be absolutely, possitively sure the rifle can be verified as preban before spending your money.
Either have Bushmaster confirm it was shipped as a complete rifle or be sure the seller will provide some king of proof the rifle was complete before the ban.
80% isn't good enough!

I got burned buying a supposedly preban Bushmaster to the tune of $1200. All I can now prove is that the lower was produced in 1991 which isn't likely to do me too much good.

Link Posted: 1/27/2002 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#8]
FYI, it does not have to have been completely assembled to qualify as pre-ban status, as long as it was part of a complete kit.

If Bushmaster shipped it as a lower, if an upper was slapped on it at any time before Sept. 13, 1994, that qualifies it as a pre-ban SAW. I would get a better worded statement from the seller and/or verification from Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:46:23 PM EDT
[#9]
This guy has emailed be six times today wanting
me to ship back this lower. I've siad I wanted
my transfer fee and shipping, plus milage and he is more than willing to pay. I think he knows he is in the wrong here. But it was already been transfered into my name. What now? Have the half the mind on sending it back to bushmaster haveing it fixed and keeping it. Putting a postban upper on it. Hell its already in my name. What would you do?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I would send it back. When you do send it back, the FFL will have to do th transfer paperwork, and HIS FFL will also do the paperwork, so it won't be in your name anymore.

Sounds like this guy KNOWS he screwed up. And $1200 for just a lower is a bit high.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top